300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burwill View Post
    Not trying to tell you guys what to do, but this is a suggestion. Try testing Out of State. I applied to a dept in Texas in Sept 2013. I flew out and tested in Jan of 2014. I finished the process two weeks before the academy started. I started the academy in Sept 2014, I am now three weeks from taking the State test and becoming a sworn Peace Officer in six weeks. From my first test date until my job offer was about seven months. A lot faster than a lot of places in Illinois. I did the whole testing in Illinois just like everyone else. I am not knocking the testing process in Illinois but it just always seems like too many applicants and not enough open positions at every test. It always seems like the people I talked to at the testing sites have always been testing for a couple of years with not so good results.

If you guys can afford it I strongly suggest Texas it seems like all the Major cities are always hiring. Dallas, Houston, Austin, FT Worth, and San Antonio. I know a lot of the cities in the Metroplex seems to always be taking applications or hiring. Plano, Irving, Arlington and Grand Prairie just to name a few. No State income Tax, a fully funded pension, and a lower cost of living. I mean those are three positive things that I can think of.

Good luck to everyone I hope you all get a chance to live your dream.
    Thanks man for the idea. The wife and I just flew out to Dallas last week and we both loved it. I had success with the testing process and am now waiting to be assigned a background investigator. I'm glad we took a chance and tried this, and if it doesn't work out at least we had a mini vacation.

Comment

Good luck with the Dallas process. Everything stated about Texas is true. Illinois with their budget issues might have an huge effect on law enforcement. Those with time on know and a lot of guys I know are relocating to departments in Texas...where the population is constantly rising and guys are retiring. You may love IL, but this career is worth a change if you have to relocate to start it.

I highly recommend visiting and doing a ride along. I'll be in Texas for a week next month!

Comment

Think I was at 2 1/2yrs before I got called by CPD. Then while I was in the Academy, I got contacted by 2 suburbs. I graduated and have been on the job, and was contacted by 4 more, lol. When it rains, it pours? Lol

Comment

I was in the Pacific northwest and before I got hired here in Illinois, I had applied to Louisville metro. But Dallas pd was definitely next on my list. Imagine most of the year with good weather and all the BBQ you can handle. No wonder TX coppers are always happy

Comment

Originally posted by Raymondsj View Post
            Thanks man for the idea. The wife and I just flew out to Dallas last week and we both loved it. I had success with the testing process and am now waiting to be assigned a background investigator. I'm glad we took a chance and tried this, and if it doesn't work out at least we had a mini vacation.
            Glad I could help it was my pleasure. I get commissioned tomorrow and CPD finally sent me the email today to take the Power test only took them 15 months and in that time span, I have completed a full academy and I am about to start field training. I am not knocking CPD in anyway, I am just saying if you are able too try different a State that are hiring a lot of Police, but don't have the pool of applicants that CPD does give it a shot. You never know what a hope and a prayer will do for you.

Good luck with DPD I heard once you get started it can be a quick process if you have everything squared away.

For everyone who just doesn't have the means to give other States a shot at this time, I hope you get the opportunity to work for a dept in Illinois. Good luck everyone.

Comment

Took me a little over a year, which in my opinion is a blessing.

I work with a couple guys who only tested ONCE and were hired with our dept. Those guys have no idea how rare that is.

Just remember, this is one of the hardest jobs to get, yet the easiest to lose. Good luck.
              Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

I was lucky enough to apply to a department that from test to hire was three months. But then again I had applied to other departments three months prior also

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8983 users online. 382 members and 8601 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X