300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long have you been testing for?

I was just looking at how much money I've spent since I first started testing this October, and yikes

I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is coming soon cause it adds up fast.

I hear you brother. Ive been testin for what it seems forever...
    Last edited by qw456; 02-13-2015, 05:41 PM.

Comment

ive been testing for about a year

Comment

Started with cpd in 2013 and have been testing since.

The hardest part is getting your foot in the door.
        Plus, if it costs me $500-$1000 to become a police officer I would consider it money well spent.

Comment

Not trying to tell you guys what to do, but this is a suggestion. Try testing Out of State. I applied to a dept in Texas in Sept 2013. I flew out and tested in Jan of 2014. I finished the process two weeks before the academy started. I started the academy in Sept 2014, I am now three weeks from taking the State test and becoming a sworn Peace Officer in six weeks. From my first test date until my job offer was about seven months. A lot faster than a lot of places in Illinois. I did the whole testing in Illinois just like everyone else. I am not knocking the testing process in Illinois but it just always seems like too many applicants and not enough open positions at every test. It always seems like the people I talked to at the testing sites have always been testing for a couple of years with not so good results.

If you guys can afford it I strongly suggest Texas it seems like all the Major cities are always hiring. Dallas, Houston, Austin, FT Worth, and San Antonio. I know a lot of the cities in the Metroplex seems to always be taking applications or hiring. Plano, Irving, Arlington and Grand Prairie just to name a few. No State income Tax, a fully funded pension, and a lower cost of living. I mean those are three positive things that I can think of.

Good luck to everyone I hope you all get a chance to live your dream.

Comment

burwill. i wanted to so much test for PDS in texas, like lubbock this year, and the greatest thing is they accommodate for out of state applicants. maybe i will next year. texas is way batter than il in comforts of living.

Comment

I tested for probably 2 1/2 years before I finally got hired somewhere. It's a long frustrating process but it's so rewarding when you finally get hired. Don't give up.

Comment

I tested with several Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana towns for roughly 3 years before getting hired on with my first department. It's just a matter of time before a department calls after your interview and you find yourself getting fitted for academy gear.

I've mentioned in previous posts that you need to be sure that this line of work is right for you. I highly recommend doing a ride-along on a midnight shift with a prospective department and REALLY get a feel for the town you'll be working in.

Comment

Congrats burwill.

Patience and persistence will get you all far. Just keep on testing and improving your scores and interview skills. It's a waiting game after that...
                  Last edited by southpaw13; 02-17-2015, 03:54 PM. Reason: Edited Post

Comment

Originally posted by burwill View Post
                    Not trying to tell you guys what to do, but this is a suggestion. Try testing Out of State. I applied to a dept in Texas in Sept 2013. I flew out and tested in Jan of 2014. I finished the process two weeks before the academy started. I started the academy in Sept 2014, I am now three weeks from taking the State test and becoming a sworn Peace Officer in six weeks. From my first test date until my job offer was about seven months. A lot faster than a lot of places in Illinois. I did the whole testing in Illinois just like everyone else. I am not knocking the testing process in Illinois but it just always seems like too many applicants and not enough open positions at every test. It always seems like the people I talked to at the testing sites have always been testing for a couple of years with not so good results.

If you guys can afford it I strongly suggest Texas it seems like all the Major cities are always hiring. Dallas, Houston, Austin, FT Worth, and San Antonio. I know a lot of the cities in the Metroplex seems to always be taking applications or hiring. Plano, Irving, Arlington and Grand Prairie just to name a few. No State income Tax, a fully funded pension, and a lower cost of living. I mean those are three positive things that I can think of.

Good luck to everyone I hope you all get a chance to live your dream.
                    If I was able to do this I would. I have a wife, kids, and a house. Too much to try and relocate.

Comment

I'm heading into my third year, and my hat is certainly off to those of you on this board that do work the job currently. Because it is quite clear even from my trials that it takes a lot just to get started!

I will also have to agree with the discussion from burwill about Texas. I can't speak for the police departments there, but we have some family who moved down there for a job offer. It seems like every time we visit, some new business is getting built or his company is growing. Texas is doing something right!

That being said, Illinois is my home and I will give it a valiant effort here before looking outside.

Comment

4 years and counting. I'm almost at my breaking point. It took my friend 6 years till he got hired, i don't think I can't wait 6 years :-(

Comment

Close to 2 years now, I was deployed last year but now I've been back at applying to agencies.

Comment

Have you been consistently applying all four years? Lately I've been testing like every two weeks for some department.

Comment

Its been about 1.5 years for me. It gets frustrating at times. But every time I think about giving up and not taking anymore tests, I remember that this is what I have been dreaming about since I was a kid and I grab one of my devices (laptop, phone, etc) and hit theblueline.com. It'll just make it that much sweeter when I finally do get on somewhere.[emoji2]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8777 users online. 432 members and 8345 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X