Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about switching departments.

Hey guys. Need some help

So I am currently in FTO program at department A.
    I am next up on a list for department B. I like my current department. But department B was my dream department to work for. Know the area grew up there.
    Here is my question if they call and ask if I am interested and I say yes will they contact my current department before they would offer me the job. I wouldn't want to say yes, then they don't offer me a job and my current department gets ****ed. Has anyone been in this type of situation before, if so any information would be great

Thank you

I've known someone who was in this position. The guy was in the academy for department a. while in the academy, he gets a job offer for his dream department, department b and considers it telling them he will call them back asap. Job b calls job a and informs them of a possible transfer. Job A calls him at the academy and pulls him out the same day and kicks him out onto the curb.

Lesson of the story is that you go with your gut. Me personally, I had the choice of waiting for a dream department for decent pay or taking a pretty nice department job with extraordinary pay. I made the right choice even though I think about what could have been...

But never forget the grass is never greener on the other side. You think a department is great and that all the employees they hire are exceptional until you actually have to work with them... With this occupation you always go with your gut!
    Alex: You do what you are Jezzie.

Jezzie: You mean you are what you do.

Alex: No, I mean, you do what you are. You're born with a gift. If not that, then you get good at something along the way. And what you're good at, you don't take for granted. You don't betray it.

Jezzie: What if you do, betray your gift?

Alex: Then you betray yourself. That's a sad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by EricPL View Post
      Hey guys. Need some help

So I am currently in FTO program at department A.
      I am next up on a list for department B. I like my current department. But department B was my dream department to work for. Know the area grew up there.
      Here is my question if they call and ask if I am interested and I say yes will they contact my current department before they would offer me the job. I wouldn't want to say yes, then they don't offer me a job and my current department gets ****ed. Has anyone been in this type of situation before, if so any information would be great

Thank you
      You already got some great advice. At the end of the day it's your career and your dream department. I would have a real convo with dream department and say..I really want to come over but I dont want to cause problems where I am. Is there anyway around you contacting the dept? Before I was OTJ one PD allowed me to give them a specific contact person at mu job bc I told them I will get canned if they fi out I'm looking. In another case I left a civilian spot at a PD to go sworn. One boss had to call a friend to get info because my outgoing agency was cool with letting me go but would give up no info

Comment

Tough spot man but ultimately it's up to you...if there's a way you can get around current department knowing then go for it. Otherwise grass isn't always greener! Remember you can always lateral out later in a year or two and not have a red flag on your name for it as long as you were a good employee.

Comment

Thanks for input guys really appreciate it. Will be a tough choice if the call comes.

Comment

I've been in your shoes. I was almost done with the academy for my current department when my dream department offered me the job. I was very open with my current department about it since a lot of people seem to leave my department for this other particular department. They were very understanding about it. They even let me miss a few classes to go for medical and vision tests, and were going to let me graduate before letting me resign. I originally accepted with dream department but later had a change of heart and went with my gut, staying with the job I had. I figured I'd get some experience and I would always be able to test with my dream department again. And on top of that, I'd be a better officer for having a few years' experience. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." I'm in no way telling you what to do, but like others have said, go with your gut. Also, if there's any way you can indicate you don't want them to contact your current department, I would recommend that if you're thinking they'll let you go.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6400 users online. 239 members and 6161 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X