300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
    There's nothing to it. Be on time. Press your uniform. Put some polish on your shoes. That's really about it. PT is not difficult. The discipline is usually writing To Froms (memos) and almost never anything physical. Their pride is in academics and the passing rate. Making it to SLEA is harder to accomplish than making it out. You'll be calling everybody that you see sir/ma'am and they will ignore you, look at you like a moron or laugh at you. You're not isolated, you just stand out because of the uniform but there are several classes that will be in session in the same building. The scenario training is actually pretty good. Remember that the police world is small and that if you are a jackass and act a fool there...it will follow you. I have a buddy I met at SLEA that with an agency on the other side of the county that I never expect to work with. Lo and behold, he left his agency and went to ISP and I see him every couple of months. You never know who of these people you will count on for any number of reasons in the future. I've actually backed this guy on stops. I've run into other classmates at trainings. Be decent to everyone, even the ones you don't like.
    Thanks for the advice Joe! What county is your department in? If you'd rather not say on here that's fine.
    "I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Comment

Snuffy is right. Typically that advice applies to all Academies minus the ISP Academy which is difficult, live-in and has plenty of PT for everyone to go around. The process to get in is harder than the Academy. Just look good, study the material and don't act a fool and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeChicagoDude View Post
        Thanks for the advice Joe! What county is your department in? If you'd rather not say on here that's fine.

I'm from the land where the dead can vote and where a felon can feel safe knowing his parole won't be violated...why Cook County of course.

Comment

I also might be attending the academy in January. Does anyone know more about the POWER Test? Is the run conducted outside in the winter? Is the bench free weights or a machine? I've heard and read mixed things.

You can PM me as well if you're more comfortable talking about your experience at SLEA that way.
          Last edited by Mig91 ; 12-10-2014, 12:25 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9713 users online. 450 members and 9263 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X