300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Cook County Sheriffs

If you cant breath this might not be the career for you. I suggest talking with your doctor about options for your asthma, and maybe starting and sticking to a strict dietary and exercise regimen to get that time down. If not this time around with county then the next, or with another department.
    Last edited by TC3211; 01-20-2015, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Well I'm on meds but sometimes it flares up .Ill keep trying this is something I want to do .Ill keep trying get my time as best as I can then day of test run like a dogs on my *** lol

Comment

• It's crazy how easy this physical test is. Only 25 sit ups? And here I am trying to get to 38 for CPD. Lol it's crazy how you don't realized how good of a shape you are untill you hear the struggles of those less in shape.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wccmikey View Post
          Well I'm on meds but sometimes it flares up .Ill keep trying this is something I want to do .Ill keep trying get my time as best as I can then day of test run like a dogs on my *** lol
          have you tried something that walgreens/walmart sells in the pharmacy (u dont need a prescription) called bronkaid?
          http://www.bronkaid.com/en/home.php

I used this when i had to take a cpd power test and it was like 90 degrees outside.
          Sometimes there's justice...sometimes there's just us.

Comment

• Nope never heard of it Im using prednisone/inhaler which work well .

Comment

• I had asthma as a kid and i cant even remember 1/2 of the meds I was on. it sucks...
              I like bronkaid because it just opens the bronchi to breathe, thats it. esp when id take power tests or workout in a basement or humid area, it works really well.

Comment

• Originally posted by TC3211 View Post
                If you cant breath this might not be the career for you. I suggest talking with your doctor about options for your asthma, and maybe starting and sticking to a strict dietary and exercise regimen to get that time down. If not this time around with county then the next, or with another department.
                gotta be careful because some departments ask for med records and if they see asthma listed, you will be dq or never contacted, etc.

Comment

• Edit......
                  Last edited by C_Daniels; 01-27-2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

If you're out of shape you have to drastically change how you live if you want to get in shape for these physical tests, and this isn't even a bad one. Eat many smaller meals throughout the day instead of larger ones; stay away from breads and starches in general ( quinoa, brown rice, etc are ok in moderation); eating beans with your meals will not only make you feel full more often, but will offer plenty of clean protein; eat A LOT of greens; stop drinking booze and pop, if that is too hard to do initially drastically cut down; start an exercise regimen after you consult a doctor; work out every day if possible, even if you're tired and you don't want to, imagine what you'd say to yourself if you were a separate person outside of your body; every day shouldn't be a hard workout though, do light yoga and clean the house/go for a walk some days in between the workouts where you really push yourself, you get better and build muscle through rest; focus on cardio and calisthenics initially, with a gradual slide into weight training, BUT ALWAYS FOCUS ON CARDIO; if you need to pay for a personal trainer initially so you don't hurt yourself and you can develop proper form do so; if you have friend that exercise regularly and know what their talking about glom on to them as much as possible for advice and inspiration. Realize that getting fit is different for everyone based on age, body type, genetics, etc. It's not gonna be easy, but it's gonna be worth it. Rant off.

Also: get proper equipment and spend a little money on good running shoes, when you run try to develop a breathing technique that works for you ( I use three steps breath in, two steps out), AND STRETCH!

If you can't run then jog, can't jog then walk, can't walk then crawl. Just keep moving man. Sort of paraphrasing MLK here.
                    Last edited by TC3211; 01-20-2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Well one thing I noticed today is I did run a lot more without the shin pain I'm guessing the shox I just got May have helped a bit.i won't lie up until jan I've eatin very unhealthy which I've been changing last week of so .I know that's not enough to undo the crap I've taken in but it's a start .All I can do at this point maybe bump the running to twice a day and hope for the best .But I'll keep at it sooner or later I'll end up in a department

Comment

• Just run one time a day, if you run twice you are very likely to hurt yourself, especially if you aren't conditioned at all for it. Look up pre and post run stretches for shin splints and incorporate those.

The important thing is you've realized what you need to change and you're changing it. Like I said, and anyone can agree with, it's gonna be hard. You're going to slip up at certain points with eating and working out, and that's ok as long as you don't slide too far off the saddle and quickly get back on the horse. I'm a pretty big guy (6'3" 230ish) and can put on muscle all day, keeping up with cardio is something I really have to work on because of my lucky body type. Just keep pushing.

When you do their power don't get discouraged if you fail, just think of it as a learning experience. If you fail don't beat yourself up, immediately apply again and in two months, if you're disciplined, you'll knock it out of the park.

Comment

• Originally posted by TC3211 View Post
                          Just run one time a day, if you run twice you are very likely to hurt yourself, especially if you aren't conditioned at all for it. Look up pre and post run stretches for shin splints and incorporate those.

The important thing is you've realized what you need to change and you're changing it. Like I said, and anyone can agree with, it's gonna be hard. You're going to slip up at certain points with eating and working out, and that's ok as long as you don't slide too far off the saddle and quickly get back on the horse. I'm a pretty big guy (6'3" 230ish) and can put on muscle all day, keeping up with cardio is something I really have to work on because of my lucky body type. Just keep pushing.

When you do their power don't get discouraged if you fail, just think of it as a learning experience. If you fail don't beat yourself up, immediately apply again and in two months, if you're disciplined, you'll knock it out of the park.
                          I suggest not to stretch before you run if you stretch a cold muscle you can damage it. I was told this by my personal trainer and my high school gym teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmbears23 View Post
                            I suggest not to stretch before you run if you stretch a cold muscle you can damage it. I was told this by my personal trainer and my high school gym teacher.
                            Oh yeah! I typed a lot and knew I left something out. Everyone who is worth their weight in salt when it comes to working out I know always said move around and jog for about 10 minutes before you lightly stretch, then work out, then stretch.

Comment

• I have ran 2 mles 4 days per week for over two years and have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER stretched and have NEVER had ANY sort of injury. Just as a side note, I lost 223 lbs from 11/21/2012 - 11-21-2013 and have never stretched.

Comment

• Originally posted by Berwynguy View Post
                                I have ran 2 mles 4 days per week for over two years and have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER stretched and have NEVER had ANY sort of injury. Just as a side note, I lost 223 lbs from 11/21/2012 - 11-21-2013 and have never stretched.
                                You should start to stretch, it's good for your health and I suggest stretching your hip flexor that's something a lot of people forget about. I have a lot of respect for you,because you took the initiative to change your life around by loosing all that weight.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8319 users online. 287 members and 8032 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X