Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not have all of my job letters (company folded) and had no contact info, my bi told me to go on the irs site and just print off my W2 and that was acceptable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wccmikey View Post
      I got my fitness exam on feb 4 after passing my written last week .I thought Id have not more time but it is what it is .I tried to run the 1.5 mile today in 16;52 my shins killed me so I did a 1:31 walk in 25 mins .Should I be running a little every day or at this point with the test being so close Im screwed
      You can walk on an incline on the treadmill to build up your shins.

Comment

• Originally posted by cpd2010* View Post
        also, just pace yourself throughout and sprint your *** off at the end. once the adrenaline kicks in you run faster than you think you will..at least I have anyways...
        I can do 2 mi in about 18:30
        i injured my glute while deep squatting so i havent been able to run in two weeks *sad day*
        This. I saw a bunch of people fail who jumped the gun and got winded pretty quickly off the batt.

Comment

• Edit......
          Last edited by C_Daniels; 01-27-2015, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• I TOTALLY agree C Daniels.

Comment

• Originally posted by C_Daniels View Post
              Not to sound like He-Man or anything, but it's pretty sad if anyone fails this ridiculously easy test.

It is bad if some one fails. I ran it in 12.34 and I broke my foot 2 weeks before

Comment

• Originally posted by CUCUY_8 View Post
                Hey chicagodude, first of All congrats on having a good interview, but after dropping off the PHQ it takes months to get a interview with the investigator?
                And also how did u manage to get your employment vertification letters, my previous employers for ex. Menards, they told me to call county to call them to make sure if it's fine for them to do it? while others are simply saying come in we"ll give to you or they have to contact HR, my packet is due mid next week ...
                You have to gather the employment verification letters yourself. The MB specifically told me they will NOT call any employer at all. They want you to get it. I had one employer tell me the same thing, to tell County to call them and they will give the information to County directly. Oh yes it was the work number lol. Those people at the work number ****ed me off. Guy says you have to have the employer (Cook County) call them and they tried to give me their number, I cut the guy off and spoke firm and said aggressively NO. I am applying to be a Sheriff's Deputy/CO, the Cook County Sheriff's Department wants ME to get the letter and give it to them. Guy goes on about his stupid policy of how we can't do that blah blah blah. I told me forget it and hung up lol.

The work number will not work. I know on the PHQ it specifically says that you can call the work number if you can't get a certain previous employers verification letter but that is incorrect information on the PHQ itself. How the work numbers actually works is by you giving a company code to County in which they have to call to get the information on your previous employer. Someone from the MB told me clearly that they will not be calling any work number garbage and it's your responsibility to get the employment verification letters or crack heads and whip some @$$ Stone Cold Steve Austin style trying to get it (j/k about cracking heads).

If for some reason you can not get an employment verification letter, as a last resort you can print out your W2 statement or bring a pay stub with you. However if you are using either a W2 statement or pay stub from a certain employer because you could not get a verification letter from them, they want you to write or type out a letter for each of those jobs explaining that you could not get a verification letter for whatever reason and attach that to your W2 statement or pay stub. You must have a letter explaining the basics with each W2 or pay stub you had to get.

I just called every job I had and asked to speak with HR directly and tell them who I am, when I worked for them and told them I am applying to be a Sheriff's Deputy (keep it simple, getting into the intricacies of being a CO is irrelevant to them) for the Cook County Sheriff's Department, and they want me to get an employment verification letter from every job I had since high school. Explain to the HR that they want six pieces of information on this letter and it's nothing confidential per se. I told them on the phone the six pieces of intel they require are: Company name, my dates of employment, company phone number, my position title held, must be on official company letterhead paper, and must be signed by someone verifying this information. Most of them complied with my request.

I then told them that they are to fax this completed employment verification letter to the Cook County Sheriff's Merit Board fax number and I gave it to them. And also mail the original copy of the verification letter to the Cook County Sheriff's Merit Board via U.S mail and I gave them the complete address including room number as stated on the PHQ. I wasn't able to go to all these jobs in person due to distance, and amount of time, and work, I know Berwynguy was able to, but I wasn't so I asked them to fax it to the MB fax number and then US mail the original copy to the County building to the MB directly.

When my BI met with me there were no issues at all, he didn't even ask me anything about employment verification letters so I didn't have any problems getting that part accomplished.

And to answer your first question yes it typically takes between 1.5 to 2.5 months from the time you drop off your PHQ packet, take the drug screen and get fingerprinted before a BI will get to your packet and call you to set up the one on one meeting with him directly.

I dropped off my PHQ on 10/30/2014 and I got called on 01/07/2015 and met with him in person on 01/13/2015.

I hope this helps if you have any more questions just ask me I'll be glad to help you out. Like C_Daniels said, do whatever you need to do to get these letters, be aggressive with getting them, but not rude to the HR personel. If they try to put it off, call them back over and over until you get your point across that this is for your career, not some job at Walmart greeting people. You are going through the hiring process to be a Sheriff's Deputy you tell them, you need this letter.

Oh as far as printing out your W2's, if you have trouble getting W2's from older employers, you can search for the closet IRS office to you, and stop by during their business hours and they will print out W2 forms for you free of charge. If you can't get them yourself from the irs.gov site, then search for the nearest IRS office to you and ask them to print out the W2's for the years you need. But use that only if you absolutely can not getting an employment verification letter from a cetain employer. The BI and MB prefer you to get mostly verification letters however if you can't because you're dealing with a large corporation, then go the W2 route or pay stub WITH a letter explaining why you couldn't get a verification letter and attach it with each W2 or pay stub you get.

Sorry for any typos or misspellings, I'm on my phone. Anymore questions, ask me.
                Last edited by SomeChicagoDude; 01-15-2015, 09:59 PM.
                "I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Comment

• Originally posted by CUCUY_8 View Post
                  Lol you did what u needed to, what did he do, just printed a paper and signed it with your job info. Well I will try my best to get my stuff, no excuses here even though my current and ex work is giving me a hassle.
                  Be firm, aggressive, but not rude. Walk and speak to them as if you already are a LEO. This is for your career. Make them do it. I hope all works out good for you man.
                  Last edited by SomeChicagoDude; 01-15-2015, 10:05 PM.
                  "I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Comment

• I have only one letter left to obtain. And they are subscribed to theworknumber,
                    Just do not know how that works, is there a fee to get it from there? They gave me a pin and id to log in when I called, but do I have to sign up for this, it's asking to give my info to the verifier ..

Comment

• Edit......
                      Last edited by C_Daniels; 01-27-2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• true about theworknumber, there giving me the same bs. Gotta go with the w2 route.
                        But everything u said was good and helped because I basically have everything done now, not rude but aggressive, and got a letter from menards which whom was giving me issues but got it. Now, this credit report, I have no type of credit, which I should, I'm thinking to type a memo stating that I have no credit history and that should be fine.
                        And when I drop off the PHQ, I get drug tested, a few beers this weekend won't hurt? Lol not a big deal of course, I'm clean In general, but will alcohol affect..
                        If any other questions I'll ask, pretty much little details and to go over everything to make sure I'm not missing anything, really helped guys, again thanks everybody!
                        Last edited by CUCUY_8; 01-17-2015, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Edit......
                          Last edited by C_Daniels; 01-27-2015, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• No alcohol will not affect the drug screen you will be taking, just don't go into the PHQ after a night of drinking for obvious reasons.

And like C_Daniels said, even if you have no credit or think you have no credit, you still need to print out your credit report to show them. It's free of charge online, if you don't have a printer at home, just go to the library.

All the other forms they ask you to bring, bring copies like the PHQ clearly states. Too many people around me when I dropped off PHQ brought the originals in. They only want copies, unless they specify they want to see the original of your social security card, DL, FOID card for example. If they are asking you to bring the original ID or document it means they will give it back to you.

Comment

• So i had my interview with the bi this past Thursday and honestly i think it went well, the bi himself was a chicago police officer and we spent more time talking about cpd than anything else! Lol

As far as those asking for the phq and the employment verification, all i did was take copies of my w2 that i used to file my taxes that gets stapled to all the paperwork and turned those in, the man at the front desk that collects all your papers after your drug test said that was fine and the bi didnt say anything either!

Comment

• Today I went for my run I didn't run last 2 days cause of my asthma .Last time I did a 0.24 then my asthma kicked in .Today I got to 0.73 in about 13:50 I felt I could go bit more but not gonna lie when I saw where I was at I got upset and stopped .My sit-ups Im about 15 to 18 not far from 24 which I need .I dunno with my test being in 12 days I don't see what else I can do.I tried pacing myself during the run but didn't help

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6449 users online. 335 members and 6114 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X