300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChicagoBorn773 View Post
    scotty_appleton814 hows Elgin's work culture? I'm currently in the south suburbs but would be interested in a department like Elgin.
    Chicago born, a quick peek at our facebook page gives a nice look into what the culture at EPD is like. We are busy and allowed to be the police. Which suburb do you work at? If you have anything specific you want to know, please PM, I'm pretty available here to help with any questions.

Comment

• How many hours per shift does Elgin work and what’s the schedule like for patrol?

Comment

• Just applied! I am currently doing backgrounds with a PD but you never know and Im determined to be a police officer. Whoever hires me is truly lucky!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lastchance2017 View Post
        Just applied! I am currently doing backgrounds with a PD but you never know and Im determined to be a police officer. Whoever hires me is truly lucky!
        There is nothing wrong with being confident in your abilities. However I think you need to humble yourself. In this particular job field, no one cares about what you did before this job but we care about how you conduct yourself AS you are doing this job.

I wish you luck, but there are few exceptional candidates applying for our jobs. There are TONS of averagely qualified candidates. Which one are you? The numbers may not favor you being the former, but rather the latter.

Comment

• Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

There is nothing wrong with being confident in your abilities. However I think you need to humble yourself. In this particular job field, no one cares about what you did before this job but we care about how you conduct yourself AS you are doing this job.

I wish you luck, but there are few exceptional candidates applying for our jobs. There are TONS of averagely qualified candidates. Which one are you? The numbers may not favor you being the former, but rather the latter.
          I'm sorry I think I came off wrong. I only said any dept would be lucky to have me because I am so passionate and very ready to be a police officer. I wasn't trying to brag or boast about myself. I am the most humble person you'll ever meet. I won't stop taking tests or applying even though I am in backgrounds. Until I get a conditional offer. This is literally what I pray for every single night. I would be privileged to work for Elgin

Comment

• Originally posted by Lastchance2017 View Post

I'm sorry I think I came off wrong. I only said any dept would be lucky to have me because I am so passionate and very ready to be a police officer. I wasn't trying to brag or boast about myself. I am the most humble person you'll ever meet. I won't stop taking tests or applying even though I am in backgrounds. Until I get a conditional offer. This is literally what I pray for every single night. I would be privileged to work for Elgin
            You don't stop applying once you get a conditional offer. You cant stop applying until you get a final offer and are actually hired on somewhere. Even if you received a conditional offer at (hypothetically) the 4 depts you applied at and you stopped applying and taking new tests. What are you gonna do if you failed the psych exam at all 4? You would be back at square one, and you don't want to go back to square one. So until you get final offer in hand, you keep applying. Shotgun everywhere and land wherever you get a hit at.

Comment

• Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

You don't stop applying once you get a conditional offer. You cant stop applying until you get a final offer and are actually hired on somewhere. Even if you received a conditional offer at (hypothetically) the 4 depts you applied at and you stopped applying and taking new tests. What are you gonna do if you failed the psych exam at all 4? You would be back at square one, and you don't want to go back to square one. So until you get final offer in hand, you keep applying. Shotgun everywhere and land wherever you get a hit at.
              Is final offer the same as when you actually get sent to academy? Sorry this is completely new to me. I have been scheduled for my poly. Im praying I can get pysch and then I assume an offer would be made once I pass those? Not even sure. I was told they are hiring 2 and I am #2.

Comment

• final offer is usually after you have completed and passed your psych and medical...usually that order.

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                  scotty_appleton814 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup. Final offers mainly have an academy date attached to it not too far after your hire date. Final offer means you got offered the job for real and it's yours long as you don't mess it up.

• Hey guys! I’m pumped that the hiring process is open again. I got 64/60 that were accepted so I was pretty upset last time I didn’t make it. Question...is it still top 60 move on? Is it still only military eligibility points after making the list? I’m certified with 2+ yrs experience and wished Elgin gave you a bump for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gobears01 View Post
                  Hey guys! I’m pumped that the hiring process is open again. I got 64/60 that were accepted so I was pretty upset last time I didn’t make it. Question...is it still top 60 move on? Is it still only military eligibility points after making the list? I’m certified with 2+ yrs experience and wished Elgin gave you a bump for it.
                  You are correct buddy. We do take the top 60 scores and move them to backgrounds. And we only give preference to military. But those preference points can make the difference between not making the top 60 to all the way of hiring. 2 years on, what dept you work at? Feel free and PM if you want. I would definitely say apply and shoot your shot anyways buddy. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Comment

• I feel the need to dispel some misconceptions here. Just because Elgin is a larger department, many feel like it is a great place to work. The grass ain't always greener. Not the worst out there, but certainly not the best.

First of all, you will not be allowed "to be the police." In fact, quite the opposite. Expect to start on midnights or afternoons, where you will be micromanaged by the bosses. They will show up to the most trivial calls and turn them into critical incidents. New officers really don't get to learn how to make sound decisions on their own because there is usually a supervisor there making them for you. That's caused by the administration who wants to be involved in everything. Also, Elgin is not a "busy" town anymore. Recent events aside, Elgin is pretty quiet. Ask anyone on USA or in GCU (Gang Crimes Unit). The city is not what it was 10-15 years ago. A lot of new guys ride the coattails of the past and the Elgin name, but they have no idea what it's like to be busy. Ask anyone with more than 10 years on the difference in activity from then to today. Elgin is a larger city, so there will obviously be higher call volume than a smaller town, but it's relative. When most cops think of "busy" they think of in-progress/hot calls. There's not a lot of those anymore.

While we're on administration, a look at Facebook will tell you the culture of the department. Policing has changed drastically over the last decade or so, and it's understandable that departments embrace the community policing philosophy. Elgin takes that to another level. If you want your career to progress, you will be EXPECTED to attend community events on your own time and without pay. There are times when you will get paid for going to community meetings and such, but part of your annual evaluation will probably include a goal of attending a certain number of events off-duty. You can bring in all the bad guys you want, but if you're not making the Facebook page, you're not getting ahead.

Schedule. Elgin claims to have a "very flexible schedule" where officers bid on their days off. Essentially what happens is every 28 day schedule rotation, you will request 8 days off. How the days off are awarded is by seniority and really however the supervisor making the schedule wants to give them. There is no actual policy on how days off must be given. What that means, especially for a new person, is plan on working most weekends and holidays. For years. Now lets be clear. In this profession, no one should expect to have weekends and holidays off. Certainly not a new person. But, it is also unreasonable to make new guys work almost all of them. For example, let's say you're new. You worked Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and you want Thanksgiving off? Forget it. Unless you have a great reason, like the birth of a child or you're getting married, it's not going to happen. About the only thing a newer person will get is the option of having either Christmas or New Years off. You WILL work every other holiday. So what ends up happening is you have people with 10+ years on that get everything they want off, and people with less than that getting stuck working. Now most bosses are reasonable and will try to accommodate you if you have a wedding or family event. That said, you will probably just get that one day. So a single Saturday, if you're lucky. Also, your days off can be split. So if you request a Monday-Tuesday and patrol is short Tuesday, you can be given Monday Thursday or whatever. The administration refuses to give set shift minimums and they will adjust how many officers they want on a given day and shift as they see fit.

Comp-time in Elgin is awesome! You submit a comp request within 72 hours and as long as there aren't more than four people who have already comp'd off, your request cannot be denied. Even if they have to pay OT. What ends up happening is newer people end up comping off a lot if they want good days off. But of course there's a caveat. No comp time while you're on probation. So not only are you likely not getting good days off on your regular picks, you can't comp off to get better days either. Here's the other kicker. The officer with the least seniority on a shift can be mandated to work the entire next shift. So if you're junior officer on afternoons in the summer and a midnight shifter calls in sick...you just got yourself 8 more hours on midnight shift. Not only does that apply to sick calls, but comp time requests as well. Example: I want next Saturday off on comp time. I request it and it is approved, knowing it will short the day shift. The bosses put out an email to everyone asking if they want the overtime. No one does. Next Saturday comes and there are still no overtime takers. At the end of your midnight shift, if you are the low person, you're getting mandated to work for me. So not only can a probationer not take comp time, you can be forced to work a double to cover comp time for someone else.

Hands down the way scheduling is done is the worst part of this department. If you're considering coming over from another department just keep that in mind.

Elgin is a larger department, however. And that certainly means more opportunities. There are a lot of specialties and if you're a hard worker and play politics right it shouldn't take long to get one. In the last year a couple guys on probation even made SWAT. Not sure that's the best idea, but I guess the opportunity is there.

All in all, Elgin isn't a horrible place to work. But most people will only tell you about the good things. If you're thinking of coming to this department you should have all the information. The pay is one of the best in the suburbs and most people who get hired stay for their career. Couple people left in the last year and I know of a couple others in the pipeline for other gigs, but overall most people stay. If you have questions feel free to send me a message, I'll be honest...

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                      Editing a comment
                      So how did you gather this information?

• TruBlue
                      TruBlue commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Does it matter if it's true? If I said something incorrect feel free to correct me.

• scotty_appleton814
                      Editing a comment
                      It does matter. It seems as though you are complaining, rather passive-aggressively. So the first step I want to do is legitimize the complainant. It's no secret on this thread that I work for EPD, so I like to think that I am well versed in our department culture. As anyone who works anywhere or does anything they care about, I want the imagine of what EPD represents and brings to the table to be an accurate one.
                      Last edited by scotty_appleton814; 03-24-2018, 07:22 AM. Reason: Cant spell

• Originally posted by TruBlue View Post
                    I feel the need to dispel some misconceptions here. Just because Elgin is a larger department, many feel like it is a great place to work. The grass ain't always greener. Not the worst out there, but certainly not the best.

First of all, you will not be allowed "to be the police." In fact, quite the opposite. Expect to start on midnights or afternoons, where you will be micromanaged by the bosses. They will show up to the most trivial calls and turn them into critical incidents. New officers really don't get to learn how to make sound decisions on their own because there is usually a supervisor there making them for you. That's caused by the administration who wants to be involved in everything. Also, Elgin is not a "busy" town anymore. Recent events aside, Elgin is pretty quiet. Ask anyone on USA or in GCU (Gang Crimes Unit). The city is not what it was 10-15 years ago. A lot of new guys ride the coattails of the past and the Elgin name, but they have no idea what it's like to be busy. Ask anyone with more than 10 years on the difference in activity from then to today. Elgin is a larger city, so there will obviously be higher call volume than a smaller town, but it's relative. When most cops think of "busy" they think of in-progress/hot calls. There's not a lot of those anymore.

While we're on administration, a look at Facebook will tell you the culture of the department. Policing has changed drastically over the last decade or so, and it's understandable that departments embrace the community policing philosophy. Elgin takes that to another level. If you want your career to progress, you will be EXPECTED to attend community events on your own time and without pay. There are times when you will get paid for going to community meetings and such, but part of your annual evaluation will probably include a goal of attending a certain number of events off-duty. You can bring in all the bad guys you want, but if you're not making the Facebook page, you're not getting ahead.

Schedule. Elgin claims to have a "very flexible schedule" where officers bid on their days off. Essentially what happens is every 28 day schedule rotation, you will request 8 days off. How the days off are awarded is by seniority and really however the supervisor making the schedule wants to give them. There is no actual policy on how days off must be given. What that means, especially for a new person, is plan on working most weekends and holidays. For years. Now lets be clear. In this profession, no one should expect to have weekends and holidays off. Certainly not a new person. But, it is also unreasonable to make new guys work almost all of them. For example, let's say you're new. You worked Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and you want Thanksgiving off? Forget it. Unless you have a great reason, like the birth of a child or you're getting married, it's not going to happen. About the only thing a newer person will get is the option of having either Christmas or New Years off. You WILL work every other holiday. So what ends up happening is you have people with 10+ years on that get everything they want off, and people with less than that getting stuck working. Now most bosses are reasonable and will try to accommodate you if you have a wedding or family event. That said, you will probably just get that one day. So a single Saturday, if you're lucky. Also, your days off can be split. So if you request a Monday-Tuesday and patrol is short Tuesday, you can be given Monday Thursday or whatever. The administration refuses to give set shift minimums and they will adjust how many officers they want on a given day and shift as they see fit.

Comp-time in Elgin is awesome! You submit a comp request within 72 hours and as long as there aren't more than four people who have already comp'd off, your request cannot be denied. Even if they have to pay OT. What ends up happening is newer people end up comping off a lot if they want good days off. But of course there's a caveat. No comp time while you're on probation. So not only are you likely not getting good days off on your regular picks, you can't comp off to get better days either. Here's the other kicker. The officer with the least seniority on a shift can be mandated to work the entire next shift. So if you're junior officer on afternoons in the summer and a midnight shifter calls in sick...you just got yourself 8 more hours on midnight shift. Not only does that apply to sick calls, but comp time requests as well. Example: I want next Saturday off on comp time. I request it and it is approved, knowing it will short the day shift. The bosses put out an email to everyone asking if they want the overtime. No one does. Next Saturday comes and there are still no overtime takers. At the end of your midnight shift, if you are the low person, you're getting mandated to work for me. So not only can a probationer not take comp time, you can be forced to work a double to cover comp time for someone else.

Hands down the way scheduling is done is the worst part of this department. If you're considering coming over from another department just keep that in mind.

Elgin is a larger department, however. And that certainly means more opportunities. There are a lot of specialties and if you're a hard worker and play politics right it shouldn't take long to get one. In the last year a couple guys on probation even made SWAT. Not sure that's the best idea, but I guess the opportunity is there.

All in all, Elgin isn't a horrible place to work. But most people will only tell you about the good things. If you're thinking of coming to this department you should have all the information. The pay is one of the best in the suburbs and most people who get hired stay for their career. Couple people left in the last year and I know of a couple others in the pipeline for other gigs, but overall most people stay. If you have questions feel free to send me a message, I'll be honest...
                    A majority what you posted is of your own opinion. And you are entitled to your own opinion.
                    Last edited by scotty_appleton814; 03-24-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• It's obviously another Elgin or Ex-Elgin guy posting that.

Comment

• rms0012
                        rms0012 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Now I know why you have the Det. title good sir!

• Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                      It's obviously another Elgin or Ex-Elgin guy posting that.
                      This is why I have said in the past that you are very wise buddy. You are right. I have to say I am about 90 percent sure I know the individual who posted the comment.

Comment

• Well no kidding, doesn’t take a genius to figure out the poster is a former or current EPD guy/girl. Doesn’t sound like an opinion that they gave but more of a past experience. SA you work there now, is what they posted misinformation or factual , and just hard to accept?
                        Last edited by Waiting2017; 03-26-2018, 05:29 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5886 users online. 251 members and 5635 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X