300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Waiting2017 View Post
    Well no kidding, doesn’t take a genius to figure out the poster is a former or current EPD guy/girl. Doesn’t sound like an opinion that they gave but more of a past experience. SA you work there now, is what they posted misinformation or factual , and just hard to accept?
    None of it to me personally or professionally is hard to except.

The factual statement is that expect to be on mids or noons for a long time. Its collectively bargained that shifts are seniority based. So no, you wont be working day shift any time soon unless you get into a special division. Of which we have many. We have some bosses that are micro-managers. But they are the minority and you will have those at every department. Make no mistake, our bosses are also duty bound to be in the streets also unless they have administrative business to attend to. So they will show up on calls, make traffic stops, even make arrests if they have too. When its summer time and we're hopping and popping, chances are once or twice a night, a boss will be my back. And if it's my call, it's my call. Period. You don't have to be rude, but I never had that "not allowed to be the police moment" happen to me. Ummm, this is a much calmer Elgin than 10 to 15 years ago. I commend that fact on the officers who arrived here long before me and took out the trash. They did an awesome job. A lot of other cities are calmer now than they used to be. On the flip side, others are a lot more busy than they used to be. Trublue is right about our culture being on Facebook. Right about the schedule, it's "flexible" but it is set up the way because it's not collectively bargained to have set rotations of days off, or by seniority. That was before my time, but I assume it is that way for a reason. 1-5 years on the force, don't expect to be off every weekend. You haven't earned that. I havent earned that. But you will get some weekend days off. And if you don't like your schedule, we have enough OT here to keep your Comp-Time bank full. Use Comp.

Some of it is misinformation as I have never been told to attend community meetings on unpaid time. Me personally, I have attended tons of community meetings outside of my duty hours and have been paid for everyone one. It becomes a sticky situation when you start asking people to work unpaid. There are potential union grievances and lawsuits possible. No one has ever told me to do so. But I digress, maybe (s)he was told otherwise. I'm only me.

We are bigger city and have a higher call volume. We have our fair share of Part 1 crimes here in town. However, maybe it is slower than some would like, but the city is going through quite an unprecedented low in crime. And there are many places around the country who can say the same. But if you want to get your hands dirty working armed robberies, shootings, vehicle thefts, hijackings, homicides, identity theft, drugs, you name it. You will get your chance working a city of about 35ish square miles and about 110,000-120,000 people. You will have fun here.

Elgin is very progressive when it comes to community relations and the technology front. One of the first departments in IL to equip our officers with body cameras and one of the first in the nation to establish a resident officer program. No matter how one "feels" about community policing, understand it is the past, current, and future waive of policing. It ain't going nowhere. If one decides to work local LE, you may want to make peace with that fact. That does not mean that one has to be a super soft snowflake cop. It does mean that one better have a very broad cultural (of someone NOT like themselves) view because odds off, you will not be policing areas where the people look and talk like yourself. Me personally, LE is the family business. I remember my father talking about I think they called it COPS in the 90s. And here I am today were are still in a different flavor of community policing. Make no mistake, you can kiss babies, shake hands with community brokers, give out all the puffy teddy bears you want. But you better have a plan to defeat each and every person you encounter because they may become a threat. The PD likes to make citizens feel like we are THEIR police department, and thats true. We pour enormous efforts into engaging our community. I make myself available here to each and every applicant here who approach me with questions, and I do not sugar coat either. We are a very capable, full-service, self-sufficient (minus a bomb squad) department.

I'm rambling.
    Last edited by scotty_appleton814; 03-27-2018, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Waiting2017
      Waiting2017 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said. Thanks.

• ht2121
      ht2121 commented
      Editing a comment
      Scotty I think you give a really fair and factual report on Elgin and LE in general. I was always very impressed by the officers of Elgin. When I was still looking to transfer within IL Elgin was always on the top of the my list. I just got an offer before they could call.

The only thing I would add for those looking to get on is to do your research on the departments your applying and talk to the boots on the ground. I know many will disagree but I think the shotgun approach to applying everywhere isn't always the best.
      One persons dream department can end up being another persons nightmare. Learn everything you can, plus it will help you in an Oral board.
      I spent six years with a department that I really did not enjoy working for. And its not always easy to lateral or transfer.

Scotty, again well said on your last post.

• Is there anyone here doing interviews next week?

Comment

• Gobears01
      Gobears01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Any new information you can share?

• Yeah, I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gobears01 View Post
      Yeah, I do.
      I do have information I can share. We will be hiring 8-10 officers as soon as the list is published early Sept. Those candidates who are not certified cops will be split more likely between SLEA and PTI. Good luck. So those who applied and tested in May, those top applicants could be hired by Sept. I dare anyone to find another dept that can say that.

Comment

• Wow. Fingers crossed for top 10.

Comment

• Prepare yourselves for a HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT coming in 5.......4........................3................ ....2..........................1.................. .......

HERE IT IS FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Comment

• The Elgin Police Department is seeking police officer applicants

https://www.cityofelgin.org/98/Employment

The Elgin Police Department is currently accepting applications for the position of probationary police officer. We typically hire approximately ten officers per year. The starting salary for patrol officer is $71,759.00 as of January 1, 2019. The current top pay is $98,645. Top pay is reached in 4 ½ years.

-All uniform equipment supplied upon hire INCLUDING handgun and body armor
            -Longevity Pay starts with 10 years of service at 2% of the top salary step with increases to 3% at 20 years.
            -Patrol Division works an 8.25 hour shift. Officers work a rotating 28-day schedule where you work 20 days and can request what 8 days you want off.
            -Officers with 1 to 6 years of service earn 10 vacation days and 12 paid holidays per year.

The Elgin Police Department currently has approximately 184 sworn officers. Upon successful completion of the Field Training Program or 18 month probationary period (whatever the position qualifications are), an officer can apply to openings within specialty divisions or additional duty assignments. Specialty assignments include detective positions in the Major Investigations Division (MID)(Adult and Juvenile), Special Investigations Division (SID) (narcotics and gang units), Traffic Division, School Resource Officer Program (7 officers), Resident Officer, and Crime Free Housing Units. Specialties within the Patrol Division include Canine Handler, Field Training Officer, Juvenile Officer, Evidence Technician, Bicycle Officer, Recruiting, Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) and ILEAS Mobile Field Force. Other opportunities include Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT) and Neighbor Officer Programs (N.O.P.E.). As you can see, our department has a lot of opportunities for success along with officers and detectives attached to various local and federal task forces!!!

Requirements:
            -21 years old by April 26, 2019; maximum age of under 35 years by April 26, 2019 (unless otherwise exempt by Statute)
            -Must be a US citizen or a permanent alien resident of the US
            -Pass a comprehensive pre-employment screening process to include: background investigation, integrity interview, oral panel interview, psychological, and medical examination with drug testing.
            -Pass all stages of the hiring process
            -Candidates must meet and submit the following required documentation by June 1, 2019 for this requirement:
            • Must meet ONE of the following educational requirements and provide a copy of a college transcript/diploma:
              • a bachelor's degree from an accredited college
              • 60 credit hours of college credit and have (3) years of full-time Police Officer experience
              • 60 credit hours of college credit and have (3) years of active duty in the United States military
              • 60 credit hours of college credit and be a current City of Elgin full-time employee with at least (3) years of full-time employment with the City of Elgin
              • 60 credit hours of college credit and have participated in the Elgin Police Department Explorer Program with at least four (4) years of participation and with not less than 400 hours of volunteer time in the program.

Applicants must submit proof of passing the POWER Test between March 1, 2018 and April 26, 2019 or pass the physical agility test during the written test given by the City of Elgin Police Department.

Licensed POWER testing agency:
            NIPSTA - Glenview, IL - www.nipsta.org; 847-998-8090
            Joliet Junior College - www.jjc.edu/fitness-center; 815-280-2674
            Triton College - www.triton.edu/power; 708-456-0300

See application for full list requirements and disqualifications
            https://www.cityofelgin.org/98/Employment

Comment

• For more information about the testing process, see below

Comment

• Written Examination

Candidates have two options for completing the written examination. You may take the written examination with the City of Elgin or through the National Testing Network Inc.

OPTION 1:

The City of Elgin administers our written examination through National Testing Network, Inc. You must fill out an application and schedule a written examination through National Testing Network by going to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com, selecting "Police Officer Jobs" and sign up for the City of Elgin under "Illinois".

What you will do on the www.nationaltestingnetwork.com website:
                • Complete an application
                • Review and confirm once again the information and minimum requirements for the City of Elgin police officer position
                • Find detailed information about the testing process for the written examination
                • Schedule your own examination time and location that is convenient for you. Available dates for the test are listed under each of the different testing sites. The last day to take a test to qualify for the City of Elgin position is April 26, 2019.
                • The fee for the test is $49.00. Submit your voucher code at the time of payment to reduce the cost to $39.00. The voucher is only good toward scheduling a test with the City of Elgin through National Testing Network. If it is not used at payment time you will be responsible for the entire amount of the test. The City will not retroactively reimburse the $10.00 credit.
                • You will have the opportunity to take an online practice test at ergopracticetests.com for an additional fee, if you choose

OPTION 2:

The City of Elgin Police Department will be conducting the written examination at the Elgin Police Station, 151 Douglas Ave, Elgin, IL on specific dates. There is no cost for taking the test if you take it at the Elgin Police Department at one of the dates listed below. The examination consists of the same written examination given by National Testing Network, and will include a physical agility portion that will satisfy the Power Test card requirement for those applicants that need the Power Test Certification. The physical agility portion of this test is optional and is not required if you already have a Power Test Certification.
                • Dates for this test:
                  • Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 2:00 p.m.
                  • Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
                  • Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.
                  • Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
                  • Saturday, April 6, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.
                  • Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
                  • Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.
                • The written exam takes approximately 2 and a half hours to complete. The physical agility test will be given after the written examination.
                • Candidates do not need to take the physical agility portion of the examination if they already have a valid Power Test Certification.
                • Candidates should wear appropriate clothes and footwear if they are participating in the physical agility portion of the test.
                • Space is limited to 40 applicants per time slot.
                • You will receive an email from us once you submit your application with directions on how to schedule yourself for the written exam within 48-72 hours of submitting your application.

Upon completion of the written examination, all candidate scores are automatically forwarded to the City of Elgin. Candidates who are one of the top 80 candidates scoring at or above 70% on the written (VIDEO PORTION) examination will be moved to the background investigation stage of the process. Candidates passing the background investigation will be scheduled for an oral interview.

Comment

• As always, I am here to answer questions if anyone wants to ask.

Comment

• Hello, did anyone fill out our application. Next test is on Sunday coming up this weekend.

Comment

• fmcorr3
                      fmcorr3 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I filled out the application today. Waiting on the email to schedule for the test.

• scotty_appleton814
                      scotty_appleton814 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well buddy, let me know how it goes for you. Good luck!!!

• Weekend BUMP...
                    Any questions?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8378 users online. 336 members and 8042 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X