Clear All

• AlexSpets
    replied
    Give that man a piece of Ukraine!

Leave a comment:

• Joe Snuffy
    replied
    Originally posted by southpaw13 View Post
    Okay, forgive me for getting a little ahead of myself but as some of you already know I had a final power test for the 2013 CPD list last weekend and we're waiting for the call for a tentative 9/29/14 academy class. So...what's a good district to train/learn police work in?

This is not an original question by any means. I came across a thread titled: "Best Training Districts" but it was posted 8 years ago and I wanted to hear some new feedback from either the Veteran Officers or even new Recruits that trained in different districts across the city. I've lived where 008 borders 007 my whole life. I would love to train there if it's even possible to in my home district. Whatever you could share is appreciated Thanks!
    Ok..so I'm a burb cop (dodges empty Miller Lite can thrown to my left) and a fairly young officer (dodges a half empty whiskey bottle thrown to my right) but I do want to say something. You will make your own experience more than the district or the FTO. The district could jump but you have an old dog FTO. The district could snooze but you have an FTO that's always digging and finding stuff. Since you have no control over who you are with and where you work, the one piece of advice you can't go very wrong with it KEEP THOSE EARS AND EYES OPEN. If they let you ask questions, ask them. Write them down as a matter of fact if you think you'll forget them. If you know older cops personally, run ideas and questions past them. You will be greatly surprised by how great some non cop looking officer is and then greatly disappointed by how much another guy who looks like a recruitment poster sucks. There is something to learn in both: what to do and why then what not to do and why. I will say this as my best takeway from guys who have worked the more frequently dangerous areas, they are generally a lot less anxious and you can learn a lot about what makes a good arrest versus what is pimpy. Some guys live to give Joe Blow a ridiculous ticket or ordinance violation. But that's just my take. I grew up in 007 myself.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw13
    replied
    Originally posted by Raiden341 View Post
    You request districts for training. While you are on probation, they can send you anywhere they want. After 3 months of FTO, new guys do go straight to Impact Zones. You'll sit in Impact Zones for the remainder of your probation basically. Just about the time of probation expiring, you will be assigned a district.

Most districts have Impact Zones. For new guys though, 90% will be on the south side somewhere. There was a handful from my class that were on the north side.
    Thanks for the great info Raiden! If you had a choice NOW being OTJ, where would you do your FT (field training) time at? I technically live in Area Central and border Area South so I guess they could put me North or South. I've worked on the Northside (in a different capacity) but I'm more familiar with the Southside. Any suggessions?....assuming I actually had a say in this lol.

Leave a comment:

• AlexSpets
    replied
    Oh okay. I gets it! You are a great American.

Leave a comment:

• Raiden341
    replied
    You request districts for training. While you are on probation, they can send you anywhere they want. After 3 months of FTO, new guys do go straight to Impact Zones. You'll sit in Impact Zones for the remainder of your probation basically. Just about the time of probation expiring, you will be assigned a district.

Most districts have Impact Zones. For new guys though, 90% will be on the south side somewhere. There was a handful from my class that were on the north side.

Leave a comment:

• AlexSpets
    replied
    I am somewhat confused. We get to request a district, every district is a training district except for 18 & 12? I thought new police officers get sent to impact zones...so does that mean every district except for 18 & 12 is an impact zone??

Leave a comment:

• dmcm102287
    replied
    Yeah you're right but I was referring to 025. Hey don't get me wrong...I hope you get your first choice!
    Yea I'm not gonna hold my breath for 025 but I have some familiarity with 09 since I do security there off duty.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw13
    replied
    http://gis.chicagopolice.org/pdfs/district_beat.pdf

This map shows the beats and simple street map, lol.
    I have that downloaded on my phone for reference lol. So that's good to know...more choices then since most districts are available. I'm Area Central.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw13
    replied
    Originally posted by dmcm102287 View Post
    9th is south side I believe? Where Us Cellular field is located
    Yeah you're right but I was referring to 025. Hey don't get me wrong...I hope you get your first choice!

Leave a comment:

• Raiden341
    replied
    http://gis.chicagopolice.org/pdfs/district_beat.pdf

This map shows the beats and simple street map, lol.

Leave a comment:

• dmcm102287
    replied
    Every district is a training district now with the exception of 18 & 12 (due to no FTO's the last I heard). Other than that, if you live on the north side, your training districts are north side. South side is south side, and if you live in central, you can go either way.

25 was fun on mids for the record , lol.

In the academy , if you hold the Academic award, Range award or Physical Fitness, you can "choose" which districts you get. Other than that, everyone can select where they would LIKE to go. Just doesn't mean you'll get it.
    My buddy is in 25 and loves it

Leave a comment:

• dmcm102287
    replied
    You're dreaming. Jk! Northside? "MAYBE" 009 for TRAINING ONLY!!! Unless you're a marksman on the range or something lol. They'll probably let you have your pick then.
    9th is south side I believe? Where Us Cellular field is located

Leave a comment:

• Raiden341
    replied
    Every district is a training district now with the exception of 18 & 12 (due to no FTO's the last I heard). Other than that, if you live on the north side, your training districts are north side. South side is south side, and if you live in central, you can go either way.

25 was fun on mids for the record , lol.

In the academy , if you hold the Academic award, Range award or Physical Fitness, you can "choose" which districts you get. Other than that, everyone can select where they would LIKE to go. Just doesn't mean you'll get it.
    Last edited by Raiden341; 09-15-2014, 06:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw13
    replied
    Originally posted by dmcm102287 View Post
    I know that if you do well physically you get to pick the district you go to. I personally want to go to 025 or 09 which are both training districts now.
    You're dreaming. Jk! Northside? "MAYBE" 009 for TRAINING ONLY!!! Unless you're a marksman on the range or something lol. They'll probably let you have your pick then.

Leave a comment:

• dmcm102287
    replied
    Okay, forgive me for getting a little ahead of myself but as some of you already know I had a final power test for the 2013 CPD list last weekend and we're waiting for the call for a tentative 9/29/14 academy class. So...what's a good district to train/learn police work in?

This is not an original question by any means. I came across a thread titled: "Best Training Districts" but it was posted 8 years ago and I wanted to hear some new feedback from either the Veteran Officers or even new Recruits that trained in different districts across the city. I've lived where 008 borders 007 my whole life. I would love to train there if it's even possible to in my home district. Whatever you could share is appreciated Thanks!
    I know that if you do well physically you get to pick the district you go to. I personally want to go to 025 or 09 which are both training districts now.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13014 users online. 420 members and 12594 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X