300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 29 too old?

I have applied to a bunch of departments but can't really seem to get those few precious slots on a list. My question is do you think at 29 I should look into another career? I have a decent paying job at the moment but nothing like a solid department would be paying

That's more of a personal call but if you're still up for it and this is what you really want than go for it! No one said it would happen overnight and this is a competitive field. Testing/interviewing well is a bonus too. Consider bigger PDs or even out of state. Some departments want the guy straight out of college and others might want someone with a little more "life experience". At the end of the day, go with your heart/instincts on it. I wouldn't put a number on it though. Best of luck!

Comment

I started at 28...and I will tell you working with our new guys, in my opinion there is a world of difference between fresh out of college and someone who spent a few years working after college then became a cop at 26-32 years old.

**I know this is a broad statement and obviously it doesn't apply to everyone, just my personal experience**

Comment

I was 46 when I finished self-paid academy and started as a reserve. I was 52 when I started full-time. Ya never know.
        Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
        Among Texas' finest
        Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
        Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
        Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

I am reporting to an academy with the majority of them being 30 years old or over. As others have said, your age, in and if itself, is not an issue overall. Keep improving yourself and applying. Just because you didn't make a top rank doesn't mean it is time to throw in the towel.

It's about heart. Do you have it?
          Last edited by Gradient Shift; 02-15-2015, 10:21 AM.
          “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Just keep testing man. When I was 21 and 22 I dabbled and took a few tests here and there and I'm finally on the verge of getting multiple offers after a year of going hard at it. Keep the faith.

Comment

I'd say 29 is around the prime of getting hired in public service.

Comment

That's the perfect age. 90% of the officers of whom I asked a similar questions said 30 is the perfect age. I received statements like, "I had no business being a police officer at 25" "I matured so much from 22 to 28" "I wouldn't want me at 24 as my partner".

You sir are the perfect age. Patience and persistence is key!
                Vaya con dios

Comment

Originally posted by Eiba View Post
                  That's the perfect age. 90% of the officers of whom I asked a similar questions said 30 is the perfect age. I received statements like, "I had no business being a police officer at 25" "I matured so much from 22 to 28" "I wouldn't want me at 24 as my partner".

You sir are the perfect age. Patience and persistence is key!
                  Me as a cop at 21 would not have been a good thing. Maybe 25...but late 20s is good.

Comment

I turned 30 in the academy at my first department, and made it through one of the toughest academies in the nation at age 32. You can do it if you want to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got hired at 30 with no previous experience. If you want it, go get it!

Comment

I got hired at 35... spent time in the Marines right out of high school and did a short stint as a firefighter. Your not too old. Perfect age to apply and have some life experience.

Hang in there... took me 2 years of filling out apps, background packets, taking tests, sweating through oral boards and making lists... it was worth every minute in the end. Best career out there!

Comment

I was 29 and went to ISP academy.
                          We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

Not too old at all. A few of the guys/ladies in my academy now are 34/35.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6415 users online. 335 members and 6080 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X