Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obtaining Police Officer Certification in IL? How do people just "become" certified?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining Police Officer Certification in IL? How do people just "become" certified?

Question - I've noticed that there are Police Officers that come from other states to become Chief's of Police or other executive level members of Suburban Police agencies and University Police Departments. How do they become certified as a PO in Illinois? Who foots the bill?

Particularly, this new CO to PO course offered by Cook County for the purposes of getting CO's certified as PO's, I heard its some online course? There has even been certain people appointed in Cook County on the "Police" side that were Deputies and took this course then suddenly their PO certified. Can anyone elaborate or explain the process or how this works instead of the typical traditional 4-5 month police academy? Since I'm sure individuals appointed to executive/director level positions in Cook County or suburban/college agencies do not make their leaders go through academies.

Originally posted by VidaG View Post
    Question - I've noticed that there are Police Officers that come from other states to become Chief's of Police or other executive level members of Suburban Police agencies and University Police Departments. How do they become certified as a PO in Illinois? Who foots the bill?

Particularly, this new CO to PO course offered by Cook County for the purposes of getting CO's certified as PO's, I heard its some online course? There has even been certain people appointed in Cook County on the "Police" side that were Deputies and took this course then suddenly their PO certified. Can anyone elaborate or explain the process or how this works instead of the typical traditional 4-5 month police academy? Since I'm sure individuals appointed to executive/director level positions in Cook County or suburban/college agencies do not make their leaders go through academies.
    Illinois has one of the lowest requirements of training hours required in the academy. In short, POs from almost any state can transfer here and take the cert without attending the academy here because more likely than not their out of state academies were weeks longer than what Illinois requires. The obvious exceptions are CPD and ISP.

Comment

The hiring Dept. has to submit whatever experience/ academy training a hire has to the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board for a waiver of them having to attend an Illinois Academy. They can opt to fully waive any academy, have them take a transition course (80 hrs), or in the case of a Chief or Sheriff, they must take a yearly 20 or 40 hr. course for them (which I believe is online). No matter what, you must pass , or have passed the Illinois Peace Officer Cert Test. to be certified as a P/O in Ill. If you were an Ill. P/O and have been out of LE for 3 yrs (I believe), you may have to either 1) take a transition course or 2) attend an academy (if out of LE for a long time). And such as myself, I've been out of LE for less than a year (retired), but a waiver must still be submitted for me to be certified to work P/T as a P/O. They may waive any training or require me to take a refresher course (doubtful though). If you've been out of LE for a real long time (such as 10,15,20 yrs) they may want you to attend an academy. If you have never taken the state cert test, you will, at the very least, have to pass that.

And like Joe said, most other states have longer requirements than Ill. (480 hrs for FT, 400 hrs for PT) and would have to do the online 80 hrs class and pass our state cert test. From what I remember the FLETEC training for FED places like VA, DOD, etc. don't count here and full academy has to be attended.
      Last edited by ChiTownDet; 08-20-2014, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
        The hiring Dept. has to submit whatever experience/ academy training a hire has to the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board for a waiver of them having to attend an Illinois Academy. They can opt to fully waive any academy, have them take a transition course (80 hrs), or in the case of a Chief or Sheriff, they must take a yearly 20 or 40 hr. course for them (which I believe is online). No matter what, you must pass , or have passed the Illinois Peace Officer Cert Test. to be certified as a P/O in Ill. If you were an Ill. P/O and have been out of LE for 3 yrs (I believe), you may have to either 1) take a transition course or 2) attend an academy (if out of LE for a long time). And such as myself, I've been out of LE for less than a year (retired), but a waiver must still be submitted for me to be certified to work P/T as a P/O. They may waive any training or require me to take a refresher course (doubtful though). If you've been out of LE for a real long time (such as 10,15,20 yrs) they may want you to attend an academy. If you have never taken the state cert test, you will, at the very least, have to pass that.

And like Joe said, most other states have longer requirements than Ill. (480 hrs for FT, 400 hrs for PT) and would have to do the online 80 hrs class and pass our state cert test. From what I remember the FLETEC training for FED places like VA, DOD, etc. don't count here and full academy has to be attended.
        Just to chime in, State law only requires 400 hours for full-time certifications. Most academies in the state offer the 480 hours course, except for SWIC Police Academy and Cook County Sheriff Police Academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9705 users online. 466 members and 9239 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X