Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Part Time Police Question

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Part Time Police Question

    When you get hired as a part time police officer. It says you can work 1560 hours n if you go over the department has 6 month to make you full time n send you to be full time.

    Does that mean you can work 1560 per department or does that mean a combined total if you were to work for two different ones say??

    Thanks!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Maka View Post
    When you get hired as a part time police officer. It says you can work 1560 hours n if you go over the department has 6 month to make you full time n send you to be full time.

    Does that mean you can work 1560 per department or does that mean a combined total if you were to work for two different ones say??

    Thanks!
    I interpret it to mean combined and/or cumulative. What I mean by that is; If you work for one, two or however many agencies, you cannot exceed the 1,560 hour mark within a calender year. E.g, if you double badge, that time counts to your 1,560. Or, if you work for agency X then quit and go to agency T, the time you spent at agency X counts towards your 1,560 at agency T. I could be wrong, but when I read the law that's how I interpret it.

    Comment


    • #3
      That makes perfect sense to me how you explained it. I'm sure it's that way too.. I could be wrong though.

      Comment


      • #4
        I just went through this a couple of years with an officer who worked for my agency. According to Jan Allen at the ILETSB, the hours are cumulative and will count toward the limit.

        “This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

        George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

        Comment


        • #5
          In support of what slamdunc said, the below document may be of interest, presuming it reflects the most current policy:
          http://www.ptb.state.il.us/pdf/parttimebulletin.pdf

          "Part time police officer" means a law enforcement officer who is a member of a duly authorized police department and who is employed by one or more units of local government 1,560 hours or less per twelve month period beginning on the first of January of any calendar year.
          Underline added for emphasis.
          “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you all for the quick responses. Good info, I am a top runner for a part time police job and looking to find out this information before the phone call comes.

            Do some police departments still make part timers full time eventually if they need or do they have the whole testing process?

            I think it would make more sense to pull a part timer and put them through the transition course than to waste all that money to get a pool of candidates.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Maka View Post
              Do some police departments still make part timers full time eventually if they need or do they have the whole testing process?
              That would depend on the merit commission rules and ordinances of the municipality you are applying to.

              “This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

              George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Maka View Post
                Thank you all for the quick responses. Good info, I am a top runner for a part time police job and looking to find out this information before the phone call comes.

                Do some police departments still make part timers full time eventually if they need or do they have the whole testing process?

                I think it would make more sense to pull a part timer and put them through the transition course than to waste all that money to get a pool of candidates.
                @Slamdunc is correct in regards to, it depends on the municipality and their rules. However, in most cases if a full-time slot comes available & you "fit the bill", and you want the job, they could easily make you full-time and send to the 80 hour transitional course. That's how I've seen it work in my area. Your best bet, if you can swing it, is ask the department to send you to a full-time academy and still have you work part-time and just be done with it! The 80 hour transitional is like $1200 bucks. That's more than the part-time academy. Just sayin. Good luck, however you do it. And welcome to the brotherhood!
                Last edited by MetroEast; 07-23-2014, 08:18 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MetroEast View Post
                  @Slamdunc is correct in regards to, it depends on the municipality and their rules. However, in most cases if a full-time slot comes available & you "fit the bill", and you want the job, they could easily make you full-time and send to the 80 hour transitional course. That's how I've seen it work in my area. Your best bet, if you can swing it, is ask the department to send you to a full-time academy and still have you work part-time and just be done with it! The 80 hour transitional is like $1200 bucks. That's more than the part-time academy. Just sayin. Good luck, however you do it. And welcome to the brotherhood!
                  That's an awesome idea, I'm going to ask and find out if they would do that.

                  Thank you and I will let you all know as soon as I find out.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There is nothing that says that if you work over 1560 hrs in a year that a Dept. has to make you a full time Officer. They may have to send you to either a transition class or FT academy (if you haven't got the PT done yet). So if you are planning on being slick and working 1561 hrs in a year thinking you HAVE to made Ft, you may be unemployed. The PD's get some sort of sanction from the State for working PT guys past the 1560. It may be funds being withheld for training or reimbursement for academy classes.

                    By your reasoning, myself being FT certified, I should have no limits placed on the number of hours I would work PT in a year.
                    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 07-24-2014, 09:26 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well I'll try and see if they will send me to the full time academy first and just work me part time. If not I'll just go to the part time one and hope later to get on full time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've seen departments where part-timers are respected and treated like full timers. Many of them are made full time if they put in the time. Some departments are staffed nearly entirely by part-timers. I've also seen departments where part-timers are treated like community service officers and meter maids. It all depends on the specific department. Good luck.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Maka, what pd are you in the running for? Pm me if you can, thanks.
                          Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 6156 users online. 249 members and 5907 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X