300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of IL/ CPD vs moving to TX to be a leo

Most you guys know from the CPD thread that I am scheduled to attend the academy for the city of Dallas. However at the same time I am finishing up my process with CPD. Lately I've talked to a lot of coppers especially city employees of Chicago (police/fire including retired) in regards to what is going on with the pensions.
    MANY of them suggested I get the heck out of this state due to how broke it is. A lot of them gave me a thumbs up for moving to Texas. I mean I do like hot weather over cold any day.
    At the moment for Texas is prospering in their economy and population very rapidly since many people from all over the U.S. are moving down there. Therefore I feel as if pay and benefits will eventually get better. Dallas pd just unfroze their pay steps from the past 7 years! I would start at $43k and top out supposedly at $72k with a step increase every 2 years of service.

Can anyone on the job with Chicago break down what is happening exactly with pensions? These guys I talked to already otj said that Rahm is slowly trying to take away police pensions completely?!

Even if you're otj elsewhere other than CPD I would like to hear your input.
    Please break this down for me since I'm a newbie.
    Last edited by kevmat9; 07-18-2014, 03:51 AM.

get the heck out of this state due to how broke it is

Copied directly from your post. I second this.

Comment

Second City Cop may have some information you may find useful while you wait for someone who can do a good breakdown of the situation.

http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/search/label/pension
      “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

I left that state over 20 years ago, I hardly aver go back and when I do I am reminded why I left. GET OUT while you can.
        Never stay in a state that has been broke sense the early 90's when every other state was making money they were still losing money.
        Stay Safe and good luck.

Comment

Two very different parts of the country. Make sure which ever you pick is where you want to live.

Comment

I'm a current officer testing in Cali (San Diego) n Texas. If I make a move it has to be now. I'm a police officer in the south suburbs. I see the best advice is to leave the state.....

Comment

It seems like a no brainier to me. MOVE TO TEXAS! You've received advice from city employees already, and you are guaranteed a job with Dallas. Chicago can easily disqualify you and then you would be full of regret.

Comment

Originally posted by Yea_Buddy View Post
                It seems like a no brainier to me. MOVE TO TEXAS! You've received advice from city employees already, and you are guaranteed a job with Dallas. Chicago can easily disqualify you and then you would be full of regret.
                AND there is the residency requirement which is non-negotiable. I loved living in the city (in the 80's & early 90's), but it has changed and since I have kids, I would never move back there.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Yes thank you all. Dallas has no residency requirement!
                  My apartment is super clean/nice and only under 10 years old. I pay practically nothing to live there compared to living up here. Jehende where in TX are you testing???

Comment

Hope you didn't move into "The Woods". I stayed there when I was in the Dallas academy...bad idea.

Comment

No sir. Moved to Grand Prairie south of I20!

Comment

Well about to move lol.
                        Corona since you worked for DPD what's your take on this?
                        I also heard they just unfroze pay steps since past 7 years. Your former coworkers must be happy lol

Comment

Congrats. Best of luck at the academy and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new life and new home, and are successful within the department.

Now, get the hell out of our forum!
                          “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Good luck down in Dallas. No more shoveling snow for you.

Comment

Congrats and good luck with the move and new gig! Remember the motivation you have right now. You will want to quit at some point during the academy especially with it being 7 months. Overcome it and work hard because it's worth it in the end.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6375 users online. 262 members and 6113 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X