300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois corrections. Will, Dupage, Kane, Lake, Cook, Mchenry, State

I've been trying to get into a leo position since graduating school a few yrs ago, testing at suburban pd's mostly, and as i'm sure you all know competition is stiff. That being said I think I finally got a break and will be starting in a non deputized c/o spot soon. At the same time i'm at the tail end of my cook county process. Just had my 2nd power, and based on friends in the process ahead of me I should have my poly in about 2weeks, and then just have my FI, and then wait for an O call. Ultimately I want to end up on a pd, so keeping that in mind I know cook is co to po, but I hear that it would be years and years before coming close to that and even then it might not happen as the only people that get moved along at cook are those who have some juice. And that I'd have a better chance getting on with a pd before getting a sheriffs police spot on cook. So that being said without saying which other county i'm finishing up with. Can those with any experience on the varying Illinois county c/o positions (Will, Dupage, Kane, Lake, Kendall, McHenry, etc) compare them to cook and why they would choose one over the one that they have experience with. The only thing that has me drawn to cook is the c/o to p/o being dangled over my head(I'm aware dupage is also deputized). But at the same time I talked to a cook county guy with 20yrs on and he said he wouldn't recommend it, sure if you didn't have a choice and they accepted you take it, but if your in a position to choose a different county over cook deputized or not, go with the other county. And then I was at another c/o orientation and noticed about 5 current cook c/os there applying, and this was a non deputized spot, which only made me wonder why they would want to leave cook where they'd drop the deputy title and likely take a pay cut. What i'm really looking for is to hear what morale is like at the varying counties, advancement, and mainly why or why not you would choose given county over cook. Hell lets even throw state c/o into the mix. Looking for this information because assuming I don't get on with a pd anytime soon I want to make sure that if I am working somewhere for years I want it to be the right spot and don't want to be kicking myself for passing up a place that would have been better time spent. This could be a pretty comprehensive thread comparing the varying c/o spots since so many people on here have experience with different spots.

I understand most will not publicly bad mouth their agency so I turned on my pm's if anyone has something valuable to note. On the otherside if you can explain why you would choose your agency over another I'd like to hear about it here.

Comment

Cook County is Chicago at the county level. TONS and TONS of politics, mostly not in your favor. A filthy,disgusting, understaffed and dangerous facility managed by people usually promoted by relationships not competence. The DuPage Court is beautiful. I didn't know courts in IL could look like that...and they won't in this county. Forget the sheriff's office and think to yourself all the positives you can muster about Cook County. Then think of all the negatives. Then realize that same county runs 26th & Cali. You will figure it out for yourself.

Comment

Look at the cook county sheriff pension, you have to wait till your 67 to retire. If you retire before that it's a 1/2% deduction per month. Well, I believe that's cook's current pension. At IDOC you can collect 60. You can also retire before that with no penalties.
        Vaya con dios

Comment

And what's hilarious is that the State wants to increase the retirement age again. If the State would get their way, people will work until the day they die. Cook's retirement is a joke.

Comment

As a prospective new hire, you should consider which dept has the best pension like the others have mentioned. Most depts have a higher retirement age now, and it's something you should weigh in on, not just where you can be a police officer the fastest. If you play the what if game and question any decision over another, you'll drive yourself crazy. Reality is, take whatever position you are offered. If then, you want something more, then keep testing for something better/diff. Counties other than cook still have lots if politics and take awhile to go to the road from the jail. It could take years and doesn't matter if you have juice or not, just depending how bad you want it or if you are ready.

Comment

I say take the first job offer to give you experience and move on/up from there.

I know people that work at CCSDOC and hate it and I know some that love it.

You should never count on a pension for retirement. Save/invest for yourself. If the pension comes later that's just extra!

Comment

I agree take what is offered, if another job offer comes later then look at the details. The experience and learning the feild is key. This type of work might not be for you! You will never know unless you try.

Comment

Thanks guys I accepted the offer from the other county and your comments only further support the decision.
                  Last edited by LBK; 06-28-2014, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I know a lot of dupage corrections guys and most of them seem to enjoy working there. The pay and benefits are good and it is SLEP/IMRF pension I believe. There is also some overtime to work as well. Their warrants division is a part of corrections so you could put in for that later,......or wait until a spot on the road opens up.

Comment

Does any one knows how the CCDOC the SBSA-LEO Situation Based Styles Assessment is based on and how they score it??

Comment

im taking my sbsa situation assessment test in this month, just wondering what was on it or a brief description.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8553 users online. 386 members and 8167 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X