300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Training Institute, U of I

Last edited by Blurb22; 07-17-2014, 07:04 PM.

First of all let me congratulate you Matt. I wish you lots of luck. Second I have heard great things about this academy. My friend was part of it about a year ago. You should have no problem passing it as long as you keep from getting into trouble. There are a lot of temptations down there from what my friend was telling me. Good luck.

Comment

I had a friend go there. He said the PT is a cake walk when compared to Triton and SLEA.

Only advice would be to stay away from students/partying.

Congrats!

Comment

I attended PTI last July. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Be ready for longgg days though man, 12-16+ hour days every day.

The PT is basically you run miles 5x a week, or do 45 min circuit workouts. The hardest part of PTI is getting through all the hours they put you through, which is roughly 600, 150 hours or so more than what the state requires. Read the survival book my class started when you get there haha. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Comment

I'll be joining you down there Matt_o

Comment

@matt - PM me for info

Comment

PTI is awesome. I was there last July also. They treat you like a professional, which is nice. Pretty laid back environment but you still get a great training. PT test is I believe the morning of day 2. They weren't incredibly strict on situp form, just do them right and you'll be fine. Morning PT usually isn't too bad. There were a couple days that were pretty hard. Usually distance running Monday Wednesday Friday and circuit training Tuesday Thursday. I drove my personal vehicle and went home every weekend. Some Fridays you'll be out by noon. Don't let people tell you you can't have fun. I went to the bars at least once a week, but then again I kept my head on my shoulders and stayed out of trouble. Just be responsible and you'll be fine. Congrats and have fun! PS, you'll love Dr. S. He's awesome.

Comment

Thanks everybody. Between the responses in this thread and the PMs, I received a lot of great information. I'm going to be sworn in tomorrow morning and looking forward to academy in a couple weeks. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Birdmang View Post
                  I had a friend go there. He said the PT is a cake walk when compared to Triton and SLEA.

Only advice would be to stay away from students/partying.

Congrats!
                  The ONLY thing hard about SLEA was being there all day long. The people who were in any decent shape complained that they didn't have time to do real work outs because the days were so long. NOTHING else was hard about it.

Comment

I went through 3 different Basic P/O Academies. My take was ISP, Like Joe said, is the most military oriented, Cook County Sheriff's Police had the week of riot training, which kicked your ***z. CPD Metro was pretty good on the physical end, but depended on who was in charge of PE at the time. PTI was the "college for the Police" of the bunch, and when I was in CCSPD Academy, PTI was only 6 weeks long.

At the time (early 80's)

PTI - 6 weeks
                    CCSPD- 10 weeks
                    CPD Metro - 12 weeks
                    CPD - 19 weeks (would have been 22-26 wks but they wanted us out because they were gearing up for a big hire)

No SLEA (COD)
                    No SW Academy
                    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 06-23-2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

It's been years, but PTI is very laid back. The only issues you may encounter are the ones you create. It's like being in college for 3 months with PTI in the morning...and a curfew. Be smart and stay away from those students! They know how to party....lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7170 users online. 363 members and 6807 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X