300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychological test

Does anyone know if there are any classes offered to prepare yourself for a police psych test? I have heard that Moraine Valley College offers one.

Prepare??? Hmmm, never heard of this. It's a personality test. Idk how you'd prepare.
    Vaya con dios

Comment

The purpose of the psych is to determine whether an applicant is free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that they are capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

I'm not sure how any prep course can shape your personality to develop desired traits and eliminate negative ones. You are who you are.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

These are some of the things many psychs attempt to measure

http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...cal-traits.pdf

Comment

Further, any attempts at deception will likely be detected and the psychologist will likely not be able to recommend you to the department. Just answer the questions how you truthfully feel, not how you think they want you to feel. Not being recommended by the psychologist doesn't mean you are crazy or unfit to ever become a police officer, it just means the psychologist feels that it may not be the right time in your life for the job.

Ain't no thang.
          “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks for the info everybody.

Comment

So basically any negative behavior in your past or present will screw you over

Comment

Originally posted by jlin View Post
                No that is not true. I've admitted minor drug use (marijuana only) to every dept I've applied with and I've been offered employment with 2 different depts.

They are looking for people who are human. As long as you can own up to your past mistakes and be truthful with the dept or psychologist most times your minor indiscretions will be forgiven.

Comment

How do these departments/ doctors grade the psychological exam?

Comment

It's hard to say. It was 1000 written questions. I went to the interview; he asked me to clarify 5 questions. I explained to him why I put down sometimes I have been distracted at work, why in the past I have lost my temper sometimes, and why sometimes there are things I don't like to talk about. He goes "okay, simple enough you should know in 2 weeks"
                    Last edited by AlexSpets; 06-19-2014, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_spienge View Post
                      How about if you read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneso...lity_Inventory

Then come back and tell us in 25 words or less?

Comment

Originally posted by joe_spienge View Post
                        They aren't graded so much as they are setting up a "profile" of the individual which the psychologist can use to determine if you will be a good fit for what the department is looking for. As such, the desired profile is subjective and can differ from one department to another.

Many departments will use a 567 true/false questionnaire known as the Minnesota Multi-phasic Personality Inventory-2 (MMPI-2). You may also have to answer additional personality assessment questions which could include multiple choice, fill in the blank, short answer, and more true/false.

There is nothing to study or prepare for as everything is already within you.
                        “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by jlin
                          Owning up to past mistakes and showing a willingness to avoid them in the future is a sign of maturity. If you can honestly convey that you learned a lesson and explain how far you've come since that time, you'll probably be alright. They don't expect you to be perfect, but they do want honesty and maturity.

Comment

Speaking of psychs, what's going on with these psych places? Particularly the one Cook County uses. I know they cut them from their process, and I'm hearing more things now about the psych in the LE process. Anyone going to psych for any dept. besides CPD or State?

Comment

Psychs exams are easy bro. Just common sense. And PD want to know if you mentally ill. Which I doubt PD candidates will be.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7309 users online. 318 members and 6991 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X