Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    Or the "Midnight Basketball Legues" which were so ever popular in the south side projects in the 80-90's.

Although if your sunglasses are dark enough, you can "run radar" for hours and be well rested in time to go home.
    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 06-06-2014, 07:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Snuffy
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
    And the PDs that 10 years ago started looking at their places as a place to generate money, now, through attrition have PDs, whose members have the mindset that grabbing some illegal with no D/L or writing the soccer mom from town a 10 over ticket is doing Police work. The pro active patrolling of the town, looking for bad guys, knowing who belongs, who doesn't, knowing what's out of place in their area is quickly fading in some Depts. Driving the alleys and side streets blacked out on mids is being replaced with sitting and running radar all night on the main drag, or grabbing that dui, which ties you up half the night, leaving whomever is remaining on the street to handle whatever jumps off. But grabbing a garage burglar or auto thief doesn't bring in $$$.
    Leave it to you salty old timers to ruin a young guys dreams of grandeur. I was absolutely SURE I invented driving around blacked out on mids. In the great ways of McCarthy, I was going to reinvent policing, introduce this new crime strategy to the department and certainly we'd see double digit drops in crimes on the 1st watch. But now my motivation is killed. First, my crime fighter plan has now been exposed. Second, if I get into a crash (again) they'd throw me under my blacked out lights. I wonder if anyone has thought of sitting down with our troubled people in town over a nice cup of joe and seeing what's on their minds.....hmmmmm
    Last edited by Joe Snuffy; 06-05-2014, 07:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

• dogcop
    replied
    ^^^ 1,000,000% agree

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    And the PDs that 10 years ago started looking at their places as a place to generate money, now, through attrition have PDs, whose members have the mindset that grabbing some illegal with no D/L or writing the soccer mom from town a 10 over ticket is doing Police work. The pro active patrolling of the town, looking for bad guys, knowing who belongs, who doesn't, knowing what's out of place in their area is quickly fading in some Depts. Driving the alleys and side streets blacked out on mids is being replaced with sitting and running radar all night on the main drag, or grabbing that dui, which ties you up half the night, leaving whomever is remaining on the street to handle whatever jumps off. But grabbing a garage burglar or auto thief doesn't bring in $$$.

Leave a comment:

• Mazury401
    replied
    Originally posted by axelfoley4 View Post
    An officer who knows their beat like the back of their hand is worth their weight in gold. IMHO
    They're worth their weight in gold to officers that value quality police work, but the officer that spends 2-3 hours off the street with a simple No Valid arrest and collects that $500 impound fee will get the pat on the back from the brass.

Leave a comment:

• axelfoley4
    replied
    A better way would to evaluate on "contacts" or "law enforcement actions) on a shift or per period. Could be traffic cit, traf warning, street stops, curfew, ord. ticket, arrests, contact cards, etc.

I'm with Dog and some others on this one. I would rather a beat car is driving my neighborhood streets, alleys, businesses looking for burglars, thieves, auto burglars, garage burglars, etc. But when a town gets $700 for an admn tow, the trustees and mayor want their $$$. PD is usually the most expensive line item for a town with the least cash being returned.
    Absolutely.. There are officers everywhere who rate other officers on the number of traffic stops they do on a shift. Yet the officers who walk beats and get info and make friends with the residents get shafted. An officer who knows their beat like the back of their hand is worth their weight in gold. IMHO

Leave a comment:

• axelfoley4
    replied
    Originally posted by StephDakel View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a lot of revenue in the citation itself as it is in vehicle tow and impounds. We all know different municipalities have different tow fees for a wide assortment of laws.....DUI, Suspended D/L, etc. That's usually a steady stream of revenue. I've seen tow fees range anywhere from $250-700.

Here in Cook County, court fees are almost $200 - with that all money going to the county. The $20-60 fine is also divided by the county and the municipality. By the time everything is processed the municipality receives $5-8 per citation (conviction only).

Sidenote: It blows my mind that court fees are as expensive as they are in Cook County.
    Yes but the towns/cities almost never get the $5-$8 per citation because the judges in certain districts throw out tickets and issue supervisions on 99.8% of all traffic cases.

On another note, had a friend just recently stopped after pulling out of a movie theater parking lot in Schaumburg and he forgot to turn on his headlights for about a minute. $70 ordinance ticket for driving without headlights. Hey and i'm not knocking the cop for stopping him, coulda been a easy DUI stop. But to give a ticket for something so pimpy, I'm appalled ... Guess the towns just crave that cash flow....

Leave a comment:

• SouthBurbs07
    replied
    We have a monthly activity sheet that lists misdemeanor arrests and Felony arrests with the corresponding CRNs, y tickets, ordinance tickets, tows, and traffic arrests. We are not required per our union contract to have any type of quota at all though. Our traffic unit on the other hand I believe has some type of minimums for tickets/tows.

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied
    Right, just DUI a Trustee's kid and do an Admin tow on the car and see how fast the brakes slam on on your career.
    Those who write these laws / ordinances never see it that far ahead. They have the proverbial 'double-standard'; one of the officers I supervised bit off more than he could chew on a similar call. FOP backed him, but the department had an enemy until he wasn't re-elected three years later.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    Right, just DUI a Trustee's kid and do an Admin tow on the car and see how fast the brakes slam on on your career.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Snuffy
    replied
    A better way would to evaluate on "contacts" or "law enforcement actions) on a shift or per period. Could be traffic cit, traf warning, street stops, curfew, ord. ticket, arrests, contact cards, etc.

I'm with Dog and some others on this one. I would rather a beat car is driving my neighborhood streets, alleys, businesses looking for burglars, thieves, auto burglars, garage burglars, etc. But when a town gets $700 for an admn tow, the trustees and mayor want their $$$. PD is usually the most expensive line item for a town with the least cash being returned.
    Then they want you to be a heartless bastard and nickel and dime people for pimpy foolishness to get that cash return....until you nickel and dime one of their people. THEN it's an abomination!!! Hey Mr./Mrs. Jerkoff I don't get a penny extra for making this stop. In fact, talking to you has hurt my head so much I think I wanna burn some comp time.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NUguyinCrew
    replied
    We recently started a "don't call it a quota" system at my dept. to track what you do on shift. Generally we stay busy for all 12 hours whether its handling calls or typing reports so the purpose is lost on most officers. How this bill will effect our current system is still to be seen and depends if the FOP fights it.

Leave a comment:

• StephDakel
    replied
    Dupage and Will county have court fees comparable to Cook? That's surprising. I thought Cook County court fees were among the highest in the country. I believe it's $190 per traffic case if convicted. Even if the driver requests supervision, the driver must pay $190 plus whatever the fine is. With fees like that I'm amazed the County is doing so poorly financially.

And I agree with you in terms of our standard of work. It's sad at times when numbers outweigh overall quality arrests.
    Last edited by StephDakel; 06-01-2014, 06:12 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Leave a comment:

• dogcop
    replied
    Court fees in DuPage and Will are no walk in the park either. Here's the issue I've always had with "performance standards", in particular traffic enforcement. I'd much rather have an Officer that is protecting my town and neighborhood, be actively driving around, be seen, make contacts when need be and be a deterrent rather than have him sit on a stop sign and know he's under pressure for stops/tickets, and doesn't get a chance to drive through his neighborhoods. To me one prevented burglary is worth 1,000 rolling stop sign stops. But that's just me, I'd rather grab the one true bad guy than have 10 no valid DL arrests.

When you reduce our standard of work to simply number counting and quantity, then quality goes down. If my stat for an arrest counts the same as grabbing a guy with a gun, or stopping the drywaller on his way home from work for no valid DL, then why bust my hump?
    Last edited by dogcop; 06-01-2014, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10708 users online. 486 members and 10222 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X