300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Evaluations/Activity Tracking

With state bill 3411 on the governor's desk to sign, I'm surprised there has not been any chatter on here about the bill. For those that don't know, this bill, if signed into law, would make it illegal for departments to use the number of traffic tickets issued in evaluating their officers.

For my fellow IL officers that hang out here on these forums, does your department require you to write a certain number of tickets and disguise the quota as "performance evaluations"? I know my department requires a certain number of moving violations, non moving violations, warnings, traffic arrests, custodial arrests, local ordinance citations, warrants etc... per year. I believe our yearly evaluation has around 12 categories with numbers we have to fulfill. I find it rather frustrating and I'm hoping if this bill is signed into law it makes some changes to how departments evaluate their officers.

I was shocked also. We were just talking about it yesterday. I hope it gets signed.
    "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

It has NEVER been an issue at any department I have ever worked for. As long as I stay busy, they don't care what I am doing, as long as it is documented on paper.

Conversely, any department that has the quota mentality will surely find another way to keep their little soldiers milking the cash-cow that traffic citations can be. I write righteous citations; if that means two a day or two a week, that is the way I do business.

I had an idiot subordinate tell me that if he were in my position, he would demand a minimum of two cites per officer, per shift. Fortunately, this is part of the reason he has been passed over for promotion since 2001.

I hope that this law will serve those officers who are worker bees and earn their keep, but it has more potential to protect the lazy. This is only my (educated) opinion; take it for what it's worth.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
        I had an idiot subordinate tell me that if he were in my position, he would demand a minimum of two cites per officer, per shift.
        Unfortunately, that is the norm at some departments.

Commend you for your efforts.
        "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a lot of revenue in the citation itself as it is in vehicle tow and impounds. We all know different municipalities have different tow fees for a wide assortment of laws.....DUI, Suspended D/L, etc. That's usually a steady stream of revenue. I've seen tow fees range anywhere from $250-700.

Here in Cook County, court fees are almost $200 - with that all money going to the county. The $20-60 fine is also divided by the county and the municipality. By the time everything is processed the municipality receives $5-8 per citation (conviction only).

Sidenote: It blows my mind that court fees are as expensive as they are in Cook County.
          Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Court fees in DuPage and Will are no walk in the park either. Here's the issue I've always had with "performance standards", in particular traffic enforcement. I'd much rather have an Officer that is protecting my town and neighborhood, be actively driving around, be seen, make contacts when need be and be a deterrent rather than have him sit on a stop sign and know he's under pressure for stops/tickets, and doesn't get a chance to drive through his neighborhoods. To me one prevented burglary is worth 1,000 rolling stop sign stops. But that's just me, I'd rather grab the one true bad guy than have 10 no valid DL arrests.

When you reduce our standard of work to simply number counting and quantity, then quality goes down. If my stat for an arrest counts the same as grabbing a guy with a gun, or stopping the drywaller on his way home from work for no valid DL, then why bust my hump?
            Last edited by dogcop; 06-01-2014, 01:00 PM.
            www.saveavet.org

Comment

Dupage and Will county have court fees comparable to Cook? That's surprising. I thought Cook County court fees were among the highest in the country. I believe it's $190 per traffic case if convicted. Even if the driver requests supervision, the driver must pay $190 plus whatever the fine is. With fees like that I'm amazed the County is doing so poorly financially.

And I agree with you in terms of our standard of work. It's sad at times when numbers outweigh overall quality arrests.
              Last edited by StephDakel; 06-01-2014, 06:12 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
              Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

We recently started a "don't call it a quota" system at my dept. to track what you do on shift. Generally we stay busy for all 12 hours whether its handling calls or typing reports so the purpose is lost on most officers. How this bill will effect our current system is still to be seen and depends if the FOP fights it.

Comment

A better way would to evaluate on "contacts" or "law enforcement actions) on a shift or per period. Could be traffic cit, traf warning, street stops, curfew, ord. ticket, arrests, contact cards, etc.

I'm with Dog and some others on this one. I would rather a beat car is driving my neighborhood streets, alleys, businesses looking for burglars, thieves, auto burglars, garage burglars, etc. But when a town gets $700 for an admn tow, the trustees and mayor want their $$$. PD is usually the most expensive line item for a town with the least cash being returned.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                    A better way would to evaluate on "contacts" or "law enforcement actions) on a shift or per period. Could be traffic cit, traf warning, street stops, curfew, ord. ticket, arrests, contact cards, etc.

I'm with Dog and some others on this one. I would rather a beat car is driving my neighborhood streets, alleys, businesses looking for burglars, thieves, auto burglars, garage burglars, etc. But when a town gets $700 for an admn tow, the trustees and mayor want their $$$. PD is usually the most expensive line item for a town with the least cash being returned.
                    Then they want you to be a heartless bastard and nickel and dime people for pimpy foolishness to get that cash return....until you nickel and dime one of their people. THEN it's an abomination!!! Hey Mr./Mrs. Jerkoff I don't get a penny extra for making this stop. In fact, talking to you has hurt my head so much I think I wanna burn some comp time.

Comment

Right, just DUI a Trustee's kid and do an Admin tow on the car and see how fast the brakes slam on on your career.

Comment

Right, just DUI a Trustee's kid and do an Admin tow on the car and see how fast the brakes slam on on your career.
                        Those who write these laws / ordinances never see it that far ahead. They have the proverbial 'double-standard'; one of the officers I supervised bit off more than he could chew on a similar call. FOP backed him, but the department had an enemy until he wasn't re-elected three years later.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

We have a monthly activity sheet that lists misdemeanor arrests and Felony arrests with the corresponding CRNs, y tickets, ordinance tickets, tows, and traffic arrests. We are not required per our union contract to have any type of quota at all though. Our traffic unit on the other hand I believe has some type of minimums for tickets/tows.

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post
                            Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a lot of revenue in the citation itself as it is in vehicle tow and impounds. We all know different municipalities have different tow fees for a wide assortment of laws.....DUI, Suspended D/L, etc. That's usually a steady stream of revenue. I've seen tow fees range anywhere from $250-700.

Here in Cook County, court fees are almost $200 - with that all money going to the county. The $20-60 fine is also divided by the county and the municipality. By the time everything is processed the municipality receives $5-8 per citation (conviction only).

Sidenote: It blows my mind that court fees are as expensive as they are in Cook County.
                            Yes but the towns/cities almost never get the $5-$8 per citation because the judges in certain districts throw out tickets and issue supervisions on 99.8% of all traffic cases.

On another note, had a friend just recently stopped after pulling out of a movie theater parking lot in Schaumburg and he forgot to turn on his headlights for about a minute. $70 ordinance ticket for driving without headlights. Hey and i'm not knocking the cop for stopping him, coulda been a easy DUI stop. But to give a ticket for something so pimpy, I'm appalled ... Guess the towns just crave that cash flow....
                            Alex: You do what you are Jezzie.

Jezzie: You mean you are what you do.

Alex: No, I mean, you do what you are. You're born with a gift. If not that, then you get good at something along the way. And what you're good at, you don't take for granted. You don't betray it.

Jezzie: What if you do, betray your gift?

Alex: Then you betray yourself. That's a sad thing.

Comment

Absolutely.. There are officers everywhere who rate other officers on the number of traffic stops they do on a shift. Yet the officers who walk beats and get info and make friends with the residents get shafted. An officer who knows their beat like the back of their hand is worth their weight in gold. IMHO
                              Alex: You do what you are Jezzie.

Jezzie: You mean you are what you do.

Alex: No, I mean, you do what you are. You're born with a gift. If not that, then you get good at something along the way. And what you're good at, you don't take for granted. You don't betray it.

Jezzie: What if you do, betray your gift?

Alex: Then you betray yourself. That's a sad thing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5363 users online. 232 members and 5131 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X