Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jrob
    replied
    I have family members at Cook, many are trying to get out of there. I heard a lot of Cook guys tested for DuPage. You will like it MUCH better here.

Leave a comment:

• NoBody312
    replied
    PM me with any questions.

We have a lot of former Cook County CO's. We have a better pension.

Leave a comment:

• jhorse79
    replied
    Not sure if this thread is still active. Trying to get some clarification. I am a Cook County Deputy few years in now. I was registered and am taking the written June 25th. Im assuming once taking written and interview with BI I would be hired into the jail bypassing academy etc since im already deputized and state certified. Any insight would help. And if any one has any questions for me about Cook let me know Id be happy to answer them.

Leave a comment:

• NoBody312
    replied
    Its a missnomer with some counties like Kane who have "corrections deputies" who carry the title but not the statutory authority. They have no powers of arrest on or off duty, and can't carry a weapon on their badge Off duty.

Dupage are fully sworn deputy sheriff's. Initially assigned to the Corrections Bureau, then you can move on from there to Patrol, Courts, Admin. You can also transfer back if wanted between bureau's. All Dupage deputies are given the same authority and powers.
    Last edited by NoBody312; 06-05-2016, 07:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NoBody312
    replied
    ALL deputies start in the jail in Dupage. We're fully sworn. You put in to transfer to the road or courts and go from there. Everyone starts the same way.

Leave a comment:

• monsterserg
    replied
    Originally posted by ared1984 View Post
    Not 100% positive, but I think their corrections officers are deputized.
    Ok thanks. They usually state corrections deputy or sheriff deputy.

Leave a comment:

• ared1984
    replied
    Not 100% positive, but I think their corrections officers are deputized.

Leave a comment:

• monsterserg
    replied
    I see that Dupage is opening applications again. It says deputy Sherriff, does that mean you don't have to go through corrections first?

Leave a comment:

• D.T.O.M
    replied
    Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post
    ^This. I don't think that is just a Cook County problem DTOM.
    you're right, it's not. He was refferencing the initial hiring though. The initial hire list the Sheriff can technically hire whomever whenever he wants. They don't have to go in list order.

When I mentioned cook county I was referencing going from the jail to the road. You have to apply and test to go to the road with Cook. You are pretty much doing everything all over again, and cook is notourious as a "who you know" department. Not saying you couldn't get on even if you don't know some one, it happens, but it's very competitive.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw1
    replied
    Originally posted by teufelhunden88 View Post
    That's the problem with sheriff departments. They don't have to hire in order of the list, it's up to the sheriff.
    ^This. I don't think that is just a Cook County problem DTOM.
    Last edited by southpaw1; 04-14-2016, 02:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw1
    replied
    Originally posted by anthonyv748 View Post
    DuPage is similar to Cook County in that you have to start in the jail as a CO and go to the Corrections Academy (PTI is what they use) and then when you are eligible you can put in for patrol at which time if selected you would have to go to the patrol academy. I'm not sure what patrol academy they use. It's not like Will County where you can apply for patrol right out of the gates. You have to start in the jail first.
    Thank you Sir! Yeah I understand that part of it. I think that's a good thing to earn a spot (based on seniority) on the road after learning the foundation of the jails, so nothing wrong with that. I respect COs and POs alike.
    Last edited by southpaw1; 04-14-2016, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• D.T.O.M
    replied
    So I'm a little confused, did you get hired and DuPage is sending you to a CO academy because I think were talking about 2 different things; or are you making the transition from CO to the road already and going to a police academy? I'm not in the process here but I was trying to find out something for my own knowledge. I know Will County hires Road Deputies directly but I understand that they operate a little differently.
    Dupage hires ALL new deputies to start in the jail. They do not hire directly to the road.

All deputies are classified the same, it's not like Will, Kane or Cook where they are Correctional Deputies And have different badges/patches/uniforms/powers of arrest. Dupage sees them all as deputies, same powers, carry ability, stars and uniforms for everyone.

You are initially assigned to the jail and Can transfer out to courts or patrol as you want when you're seniority number comes up.

Leave a comment:

• D.T.O.M
    replied
    Originally posted by anthonyv748 View Post
    DuPage is similar to Cook County in that you have to start in the jail as a CO and go to the Corrections Academy (PTI is what they use) and then when you are eligible you can put in for patrol at which time if selected you would have to go to the patrol academy. I'm not sure what patrol academy they use. It's not like Will County where you can apply for patrol right out of the gates. You have to start in the jail first.
    Yup. Only difference is with Cook County you have to apply to sheriffs police, and not many make it. This is why many consider it a patronage job and is based on "who you know" Dupage it is considered a transfer and based on you're seniority, nothing else.

Dupage has their own corrections academy at the sheriffs department through PTI. Most other sheriff's departments send their guys there or Sangamon.

When you want to transfer to the road and you out in for it they send you to a patrol academy at that time. I know in the past they used SLEA for their road guys..
    Last edited by NoBody312; 04-14-2016, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyv748
    replied
    So I'm a little confused, did you get hired and DuPage is sending you to a CO academy because I think were talking about 2 different things; or are you making the transition from CO to the road already and going to a police academy? I'm not in the process here but I was trying to find out something for my own knowledge. I know Will County hires Road Deputies directly but I understand that they operate a little differently.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw1
    replied
    Originally posted by D.T.O.M View Post
    Just so you are aware.... You go through two seperate academies when you work for Dupage.

When you first get hired you're assigned to the corrections bureau. You go through their County Correctional Officer academy that is one of 2 external academies certified by PTI. (The other being Sangamon and PTI itself in Champagne). Its at Dupage County, it's 5 weeks long and you become certified as a county corrections officer through the state. (youvhave to pass the course and the written state exam just like the basic LE academy)

They don't send you to the patrol academy until you're number comes up for transfer.

I know they have used SLEA in the past (I mean it's COD and like 20 minutes away.)

I know I haven't started yet with them...... I know this info though because I worked for a neighboring county as a CO and went through their BCO Academy.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9237 users online. 393 members and 8844 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X