300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selectionworks Written Test

I am testing with Glenview tomorrow and I was just curious if anyone took a test from Selectionworks before and how the test was?

avoid selection workshop like the plague

Comment

"Selection Workshop"!...LLOL! That made my day haha. Took it once and passed it...hated it. It seemed like a never ending testing nightmare...I wanted to walk out of there, lol. I think the lack of sleep that day made it worse. Anyway, I believe it had the usual reading comp, maps, grammer, punctuation, vocab, memory, facial recognition and a separate psych test part. You know...: "I rather be a teacher, musician etc....actually more of a "fit for the job" personality assessment?

Comment

oh man, this will be an interesting day tomorrow. Thanks for replies. I am assuming this will really take the 3 hours it says it takes to complete.

Comment

No problem. Some people don't mind this test. As long as you get some sleep and focus, it shouldn't be too bad. Lack of sleep can do that to a person. I just wanted to be done with that test. Walking out, another guy made a comment to me...felt the same way about it.

Comment

This test irritated me horribly. It's repetitive and just dumb. There is a psych portion that is maybe 80 questions? The time limit on that section makes you rush quickly. Then you have the actual test section which is 100 questions. This was the only test where I almost didn't finish in the time limit simply because the questions are like reading thesis statements.

When you get to the directions/entry section... I flipped the page and almost blurted out "f^*k this test!" Because of how many questions there were about it. I got everything right on the study guide, yet I didn't pass the actual exam, lol.

Comment

I'll be at Glenview tomorrow also. I've taken selection works tests before. I didn't think it was a big deal. Read the entire question but don't overthink them. Some parts of it seemed dumb and repetitive but I didn't find any part of it difficult and I've always finished with plenty of time remaining.

Comment

Selection Works.... Not a fan!

This exam is composed of 3 sections. Each section is timed. The first section consists of 30 scenario based questions. Each question in this section is a scenario. There are four possible responses to each scenario. You are to give your first response to the scenario, then once removed, your second, third and final choice. Basically, each question has a 4 part answer. You're ranking the responses to the question.

The second section is the psych portion. This is at least 100 questions long. I find this one to be the most frustrating part of the exam. There are questions that I feel 'hurt' candidates if they answer honestly. For example, here is an actual question. On the highway, I generally travel (insert answer) mph over/ under the speed limit. The choices range from the extreme under the speed limit to the extreme over the speed limit. One choice is "at the speed limit". Instinctively, one might assume "at the speed limit" is the "correct" answer, but is it really? Are they measuring honesty or adherence?

Another is "I am in better shape than what percentage of the population?" One option is 99%. If the 250lb guy with 40% body fat chooses 99% and the 180lb guy who is in good shape chooses 80%, who is scored better? My approach is to answer as honestly as possible, as in my experience any portion of the entire process is usually verified in later stages via polygraph, interviews and background.

Lastly, the 70 questions measuring cognitive abilities. Raiden covered this part well. You'll read an entire page of text to answer 3 questions. It's long, tedious and being the last section, with already over 100 questions under your belt, you're just about fried. The maps are very extensive. Pay close attention to directional orientation. It changes from question to question and the bottom of the map is not always south. This section contains spelling, vocabulary and grammar questions as well. The only ability this exam does not test is math.

In my opinion, of the four major exams, this one is just above the COPS exam as the most challenging of the four. The time allotment seems to be enough for most candidates but overall the test is very comprehensive and in depth. As previously stated, there is more reading required than any other exam.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes.
                Jajajajaja

Comment

Selection works written test is horrid. There's like 50 questions that go something like this: your superior officer steals something from a victims home and youre the only one to see what would you do. Then it gives you 4 responses and you have to rate them in order of what you'd do.

If you haven't already I'd suggest getting the study guide. I hear it lays out how they want you to answer those situation based questions

Comment

Or the best questions.. They give you a map of an apartment building. Give you a thesis statement of a question, and you have to give a step by step, direction by direction response of how you would go up to said-call... Really? I've never been to a call where I've seen someone break out a map, and figure out and remember 30 steps on how to get up to an apartment... You just do it.

Comment

Wow! just finished with the test. After completing the psych portion I think I am suppose to be a mechanic lol... How long did it usually take to get results back. Did they e-mail or mail them?

Comment

Originally posted by newsti13 View Post
                        How long did it usually take to get results back. Did they e-mail or mail them?
                        Obviously the timelines depend on a number of variables. To give you an idea, here is the timeline of my last two Selection Works exams.

Most recent-

Took the exam on a Saturday. Received the pass/fail email from Selection Works on the following Tuesday along with a separate email with the preference points claim form. This email only indicated pass/fail and did not provide a score or position on the list. They allowed 10 days to submit the form requesting preference points. A final list was emailed to me 13 days after the original email, indicating my place on the list along with a final score.

Second most recent-

Took the exam on a Saturday. Received the pass/fail email from Selection Works 24 days after the written exam along with a separate email with the preference points claim form. This email provided a score and an initial list. They allowed 10 days to submit the form requesting preference points. The final list was emailed 4 weeks after the first email.
                        Jajajajaja

Comment

Damnit! You guys are scaring the s*** out of me! Lol I have a NW suburban PD written test from Selection Works on 05/10. I did buy the preparation guide and the practice test from selection works. I'm reviewing both and will be taking the practice test I bought in a few days. Is it really that hard? Pretty much what I see on the preparation guide and the practice test right? Maybe it's just me, but from looking over the preparation guide and practice test from selection works, it looks similar to the CPD 2013 written exam.

Anyways, help on the NW suburban PD test from SW on 05/10? These comments worried me a little about my upcoming test. :-/
                          "I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Comment

Lol didn't mean to scare you. It is not too bad, just long. It takes about 2.5-3 hours to complete. I bought the practice guide too and it is very similar to the test. There is a lot of reading comprehension and about 4 different kinds of "put these events in the order that they happened". You just have to pay attention to the question they ask. Get a good nights rest and you should be find. Good luck!!

Comment

Ten four thanks, I'll look over my preparation guide and take my practice test!
                              "I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7776 users online. 391 members and 7385 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X