300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral board coming up...

Besides the obvious questions of why do I want to become a police officer, what have I done to prepare myself for this career, etc. what other possible questions might come up? This is my first department I'm testing for (so my first time going through the hiring process!) and I want to be very well-prepared. Any tips? Thanks, all!

Questions during orals most commonly address the below areas. What specifically the ask will vary from agency to agency, but this will give you a ballpark idea.

• Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

• Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

• Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

• Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

• Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

• Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

That was a wonderful response, thank you so much! I have 2 weeks until my interview so I'm preparing a lot this weekend.

Comment

Good luck! Be confident and hit it out of the ball park!!

Comment

That's the plan! I'm not nervous yet but I will be as the day gets a little closer.

Comment

I had jitters at my first oral interview but practice makes perfect! You'll do fine!

Comment

Thanks! I'm thinking of doing a couple mock interviews with my husband, hopefully that'll help. My current boss has been drilling me with random questions, too, to help me work on not fumbling over my words.

Comment

That 's awesome keep it up!!

Comment

Good luck. Once you start testing regularly and do more interviews, you start getting better at them and more comfortable talking in front of a board. And learn to sell yourself!
                  Last edited by Chiguy27; 04-11-2014, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Just take a deap breath, collect your thoughts before giving your response. Many think you have to belt out a answer right away. Last but not least always research the department and town you are applying for.

Comment

Glockguy nailed it research the department and take some notes before to familiarize yourself with the department and who's who and some facts about the department!

Comment

Thank you so much, all! I've been researching as much as I can based on the information posted on their website. Interview is later this week so hopefully all goes well.

Comment

Good luck !!

Comment

More than knowing a lot about the PD, know all about the town. Remember the Police-Fire Commissioners are all residents and/or business people from that town. Know what the borders are, towns that border it, main business areas, any big attraction in town (malls, etc.), population, problems inherent to that municipality( traffic from shopping areas, bordering areas with high crime).

The size of the PD, Chief. Don't ever say anything disparaging about the town (like it's a "fast" town to work in, busy PD, etc). It's like telling the Commissioners (residents of the place) that their town is a hotbed of crime.

Now with those group orals administered by testing companies? I still can't figure how people not from that area, and unfamiliar with that town are gauging what the problems are there and what that town needs in a P/O. Or how they figure out who the best candidate is when they all give the same answer.

Good Luck

Comment

Know your top three strengths/weaknesses. What are some examples? How can you improve on your weaknesses?

What makes you better than the other ___ hundred applicants? Seriously. If you think of some ways, and even if they don't ask you specifically about them, find a way to work them in to your other answers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8604 users online. 391 members and 8213 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X