300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many tests have you taken?

i have taken 114. I am contemplating switching career path choices soon.

I've got about 15 under my belt, getting pretty tired of being poor and may move on to something else for now lol

Comment

Wow, you serious? 114?!?!?! I can't even contemplate the time and money that has cost.

I've done about 23 or 24. Somewhere around there.

Failed a couple written and physicals. Maybe passed 20, so was on 20 lists. Interviewed at about 5 or 6 places out of all those tests, and have only done 2 backgrounds and 1 poly.

Comment

I've had 3 backgrounds and 2 oral boards. How many years have you guys been testing?

Comment

This job field is way too competitive. I am not bad mouthing anything but just saying when is enough enough in trying to make this a career??

Comment

Think I took around 25/30 when I finally got hired. Had plenty of oral boards, a handful of psych exams and a few poly's.

Funny enough, I got hired. And suddenly I started getting calls left and right without them knowing I was certified. I'm up to 6 departments that have called asking if I'm interested in jumping ship, lol.

Comment

Maidana, if you've taken 114 tests, then in my opinion it's time to start thinking of other career options.

Prior to getting hired with my 1st department, I believe I tested with 6 other departments. I remember telling my bestfriend "if we don't get hired here, then I'm going to start looking for something outside of law enforcement" ....believe it or not, WE BOTH GOT HIRED.

I tested with 3 more departments before getting hired with my 2nd department. I usually test well, but I think I interview even better. Like everything, it gets easier with experience.

Maidana, I admire your commitment. There's no way I would of made it past 10 tests without giving up and looking for something else. I was extremely young when I was hired, I don't believe at that age I developed the patience to sit around and wait for years for something to happen.
              Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by maidana View Post
                This job field is way too competitive. I am not bad mouthing anything but just saying when is enough enough in trying to make this a career??
                It's not that it is competitive. The problem is the hiring. Smaller suburb departments run into budget issues or claim they can't afford to hire Officer's when they are down several. In turn, they go through periods when they test, but not even end up using the list. Big departments do the same thing sometimes. Suburb departments have more hoops to jump through to get the authority to hire.

Your best bet is to test with someone like Rockford, Illinois State Police or Chicago where they are always do huge hirings. State is very competitive and tough, but they hire quite a bit when they get classes going. Chicago, same thing. As long as you pass the written, you WILL get a chance to get on. Once you get on somewhere, your options open up greatly once you obtain that State Cert...

Comment

4 but You should always have an alternate plan because some may never see the academy. Between written, power tests,poly, oral interviews etc knocks out most people. And, with suburban depts sending 1-2 recruits to the academy .Foughetabouit you have
                  To be lucky somewhere along the way.

Comment

True story, it's good to be passionate about be in LE but it's kind of like trying to win the lottery it's a good idea to have a strong backup plan.

Comment

114 that is mind boggling.. WOW

Comment

You ever think about going to depts/states that hire more. I.E. Texas or Arizona?

Comment

I see a lot of people talking about being certified but how would someone go about getting this done? Could anyone help me here

Comment

There are states where you can pay your way through the academy. Specifically coming to my mind is Florida, Minnesota, or Missouri. You go through the academy and take the POST test to become certified. However it's kind of a catch 22. Their standards seem to be a little more lax, allowing more people in. You also have a certain amount of time to find a sworn job, or you lose your certification.

Comment

Originally posted by Je23 View Post
                              I see a lot of people talking about being certified but how would someone go about getting this done? Could anyone help me here
                              Certified just means you have already been through an Academy and have taken the State Exam and passed. It also usually means someone is already a LEO.

Unfortunately in Illinois you can't pay your way through an Academy like you can in other states. Academies in this state require a department to have hired you and pay your way. There is one academy in this state that you can technically apply for, in Bellwood , but I have yet to meet one person who has actually been accepted or been through it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10553 users online. 495 members and 10058 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X