Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max age restriction of 35 for applicants....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To those wondering about the legality of age restrictions- they are legal and despite numerous challenges they remain. Aside from those pushed against the Fed which limits certain LE jobs to those entering under 37 and forcing retirement at 57, numerous municipalities have successfully defended their respective age limits.
    As background--

Are age requirements illegal?

Answer: Age requirements are not illegal. The Federal Age Discrimination In Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) was amended in 1995 to allow states and political subdivisions of states to impose age limitations for hiring and retirement of police officers and Firefighters as long as the requirement was in effect prior to March 3, 1983, and in certain other circumstances [Title 29, United States Code, Section 623(j)].
    But fret not- there are numerous jobs that do not impose age restrictions beyond minimums, so while you may not get to work at some departments past a certain age, there are plenty of other departments out there.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

To those wondering about the legality of age restrictions- they are legal and despite numerous challenges they remain. Aside from those pushed against the Fed which limits certain LE jobs to those entering under 37 and forcing retirement at 57, numerous municipalities have successfully defended their respective age limits.
      As background--

Are age requirements illegal?

Answer: Age requirements are not illegal. The Federal Age Discrimination In Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) was amended in 1995 to allow states and political subdivisions of states to impose age limitations for hiring and retirement of police officers and Firefighters as long as the requirement was in effect prior to March 3, 1983, and in certain other circumstances [Title 29, United States Code, Section 623(j)].
      But fret not- there are numerous jobs that do not impose age restrictions beyond minimums, so while you may not get to work at some departments past a certain age, there are plenty of other departments out there.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I know ChiTownDet is usually spot on, but am I reading this wrong. It seems if you are already a police officer the age requirement is waived. And that the 1 year per year of service added only applies to military veterans with no police experience.

(a) All applicants for a position in either the fire or police department of the municipality shall be under 35 years of age, shall be subject to an examination that shall be public, competitive, and open to all applicants (unless the council or board of trustees by ordinance limit applicants to electors of the municipality, county, state or nation) and shall be subject to reasonable limitations as to residence, health, habits, and moral character. The municipality may not charge or collect any fee from an applicant who has met all prequalification standards established by the municipality for any such position. With respect to a police department, a veteran shall be allowed to exceed the maximum age provision of this Section by the number of years served on active military duty, but by no more than 10 years of active military duty.

(d) The age limitation in subsection (a) does not apply(i) to any person previously employed as a policeman or fireman in a regularly constituted police or fire department of (I) any municipality, regardless of whether the municipality is located in Illinois or in another state

Comment

I would have to look up the state law, but from what I remember, if you are a P/O, the 35 yo age limit is extended on a year for year of Police service up to 5 years, or 40 yoa. I believe this also applies for reserve and aux P/O's as well. Out of state P/O's, I'm not sure about. If I can find the law, I'll post it. Now towns that are Home Rule communities are not bound by Police-Fire Commission rules on the age. Sheriff's Depts also are not.

Comment

Looks like you read the same laws (Fire-Police Commission Rules (65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6 A & D).

If you think that you may fall into a category outside of the usual 21-35 yoa age req., I would contact The Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board. They would be able to tell you the answer concerning your situation.

http://www.ptb.state.il.us/contactus.htm
            Last edited by ChiTownDet; 06-15-2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9013 users online. 446 members and 8567 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X