Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max age restriction of 35 for applicants....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max age restriction of 35 for applicants....

I see that lots of job postings list the max age application as 35 years old. I assume that has something to do with the pension plan and years in the plan?

Is there ever a waiver for the 35 years of age with these agencies? For example, could an out of state officer with 20 years of experience as a full time officer retire from their current agency and apply in Illinois and get around the 35 year age limit?

I would think if you are already an officer with an Illinois certification and move from one agency to another that would allow you to be over 35 at the time of application but what about anyone from another state?

Just wondering.
    SPSC 262

While I can’t speak to specific agencies there, the general theme when it comes to “waivers” only comes into play for certain veterans and this only deducts a certain number of qualifying years based on service.

From my experience you can transfer within the same “system” regardless of age, but to break in post cutoff from another state/system is not something I have seen.

You are correct in that the age limit is tied to pension/retirement plans and yes- this has been fought time and time again to no avail on the part of the litigants.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

How is the IL age limit tied to a pension plan? That doesn't make any sense to me. You work as many years as you work and depending on those years and your age you either get something or you don't depending on if your vested.
      Formerly "TheAxolotl"

Comment

I have seen in some job announcement (for IL agencies) that the age limit is waived if you have prior police experience. I don't think it is tied to the pension system (like the feds), but I could be wrong (I don't work in IL). Also keep in mind that there is more than one pension system in IL

Comment

Some sheriffs departments don't have an age restriction, grantee you pass medical evaluations

Comment

Repost: Police-Fire Commission rules state that you cannot be hired after 35 yo, unless you are already a P/O, then you get 1 year for year otj, up to 40 yo. Sheriff's Dept's and CPD are exceptions, because CPD is covered by home rule and career service vs Pol-Fire Commission rules. If you are 36 yo and NOT a current P/O, it may be your last chance, except for Sheriff's Dept.

Comment

I also believe there is no max age limit for ISP, but you have to work 26 years and 8 months to receive the full 80% of your pension. Anything less and it is pro-rated

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
                I also believe there is no max age limit for ISP, but you have to work 26 years and 8 months to receive the full 80% of your pension. Anything less and it is pro-rated
                That 26 yr 8 months is gone. Have to go 30 now..

Comment

I've always wonder this as well, b/c last year a local sheriff department hired a guy that was 54 with no prior law enforcement experience or military experience at all, when I said "i thought the max age was 36" the deputy said "no we can't discriminate like that it's illegal"

which leads me to believe they just put that info on the apps as a deterrent

Comment

No, it's Illinois Police-Fire Commission Laws. Now towns with Home Rule Powers can be different. And for anything ISP related, ISPCapt is the guy in the know..

Comment

As ChiTown stated above me, ISPCapt knows this way better than I, however the ISP does not have max age to apply. You can apply and be hired at any age up to the age of 60. We also have a mandatory retirement age of 60.

With the new pension law passed the 26 years 8 months is gone, and yes if you enter at a later age it is prorated to the age of 60. Every class will have at least one cadet who is over 40 and my class started with two 41 year olds and a 47 year old. If you are over 35 and seriously want to get into this profession, the ISP is an option.

Comment

So what about an officer who is 42 years old and has 20 years as a police officer in another state, retired from that department in another state? Could they apply in Illinois as a police officer over age 35 if all of their time was in another state?
                        SPSC 262

Comment

In case anyone was curious:

What is Home Rule?

The right to local self-government including the powers to regulate for the protection of the public health, safety, morals, and welfare; to license; to tax; and to incur debt.

Home rule involves the authority of a local government to prevent state government intervention with its operations. The extent of its power, however, is subject to limitations prescribed by state constitutions and statutes.

When a municipality or other political subdivision has the power to decide for itself whether to follow a particular course of action without receiving specific approval from state officials, it acts pursuant to such powers.

For example, a town exercises its home rule powers when it puts the issue of allowing the sale of alcoholic beverages within its borders on the ballot.

This is the official up-to-date list of Home-Rule municipalities in Illinois:

http://www.iml.org/page.cfm?key=2

Comment

Originally posted by 10-Roger View Post
                            So what about an officer who is 42 years old and has 20 years as a police officer in another state, retired from that department in another state? Could they apply in Illinois as a police officer over age 35 if all of their time was in another state?
                            Not in Chicago and most suburbs/towns.

Comment

For those municipalities that fall under age restrictions, the exceptions can be found in 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6. I'm shocked Title VII hasn't been challenged for this. It might have, but I never made it a point to search.
                              "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8395 users online. 368 members and 8027 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X