300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tough decision

Hey all so I need your intellectual opinions. I currently work at a campus pd (civilian staff). For the past 2 openings within 3 years I was rejected until recently I was given an interview date. Although this is just an interview I feel very strong that I may end up getting the job. The pay is around 40k and pretty good health benefits.

Get this....I'm moving onto backgrounds with a pd out in Texas. Pay is a little over 40k but not that much. I have to relocate with no family there. I think its a smart move to go to TX just because financially the state is doing way better than Illinois (no offense). They also have no state income tax and cost of living is cheaper. Get some real experience in with a big city.

What I'm balancing out is should I work at the college to get an IL certification or just go to Texas and start life fresh lol.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS? I'm just curious..

My opinion......take whatever department offers you the job first.

Comment

^ yes. BUT ultimately I would leave to the better pension system. You work for a college or university in Illinois and you will probably retire just prior to your death. See the pension thread.
      Formerly "TheAxolotl"

Comment

I was in the same boat when I worked for a campus pd. When they tested I tested and passed everything and was given a conditional. However, I didn't take the job. I had seen the mass amount of politics and favorites games being played. All in all, I would go to TX. I've applied to numerous states where I know no one. If you do get hired in TX, the PD will be your new family.

Comment

If I was in your situation I would take the Texas gig in a heart beat, one the economy is way better shape in Texas than in IL, two no state income taxes so that's more money in the bank, 3 the experience as a city beat cop trumps the college campus any day.

Comment

I have a buddy that I tested with for CPD in 2010. He ended up leaving to Texas because he got on with San Antonio. He left with his g/f and didn't have any family in Texas either. He loves it. Makes awesome money, says the benefits are great and the reduced cost of living and taxes is a major perk. He says he is MUCH happier in Texas than he ever was here.

Comment

GO!............and don't look back...I'll be right there with you as soon as I get a chance to leave haha! Seriously though, If there's nothing holding you back here It doesn't hurt to take a different path in life and see where it takes you. Hope you get either...officially and best of luck wherever you land.

Comment

Not even a contest, go to Texas
                Originally posted by Rudy8116
                The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Originally posted by CruiserClass
                OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

Comment

I can't believe nobody mentioned the weather!

Comment

A few family members and even more friends have jumped ship for TX. To a person, they are loving it. You'll expect a pay cut, but it's tempered by an unbelievably lower cost of living, taxes and property cost or rent (outside city limits).

Mind the differences though, if your from Chicagoland. Here, you can expect to drive ten minutes to do anything you'd like. Whereas down there in many areas, you're hoofing it for miles and miles to get to a strip mall. You can expect huge changes in your social life and leisure time, even the population centers aren't quite on par with Chicago in this aspect (IMO).

All that said, the Fiance and I are contemplating uprooting my 150+ years of family history in Chicago, for a move to the DFW or Houston areas. All will depend on how CPD pans out for me, before I start testing down there.

Comment

Last edited by corona11; 06-29-2015, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Id love to go to texas...

Comment

If this winter we've had doesn't make you want to leave....

Comment

Yeah I was rooting more towards Texas! I'm just worried about the state of IL going broke.
                            A couple years ago the Chicago police pension was 127 billion dollars in deficit. Either billion or million, but still that is horrible!

Comment

Texas hands down....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4890 users online. 249 members and 4641 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X