Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Thanks for sharing that, I'm all for places that are accessible like that and don't mind you having a little fun with the experience.

Comment

dont pick a nice suburban town, you will be bored out of your mind. i did mine with illinois state police and it was the best time of my life. they put my on the road almost every night and you get to approach cars during stops, many depts do not allow that. we also went into englewood and did so cool stuff. id say do CPD or ISP. aurora and joilet may be cool too.

Comment

Last edited by southpaw1; 05-10-2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Different people have different experiences. Some people think my town is hood and others would call it a nice suburban town, depends on their experiences. I had an intern with me on a laid back day and we were on patrol on a main strip towards the edge of town when an ISPERN message came out about an armed bank robbery with shots fired right off that strip in the town over. And of course I'm not far so I got eyes watching that direction to see if they cut through town for their escape route. Another intern, in a different suburban town, was riding in a tac car that made a stop resulting in a foot chase. Well the intern got left in the car in the middle of the street and had to move it because the tact guys took off...lucky nobody caught a suspension or 10-50d. Even in FTO I spent some days in plainclothes with tac which I had never heard of before even where I work. Anywhere you go, you have to make it what it needs to be for you because some people will look at investing in you as a waste of time. Devour the town. I had a non sworn gig with a PD first. I read the CAD calls from the previous day, familiarized myself with repeat addresses, names we always heard. I'd listen to radio traffic and try to identify the beat when I heard the address. I tried to stay in the street as much as possible and whenever I could, with an officer that didn't mind. I asked questions...why this? why that? how'd you know this? what made you say this or that?...a lot of cops aint cut out to take all that inquiry, which is nothing wrong with them, it just can be irritating. I got accustomed to giving the officers I worked with most informal briefings on what happened while they were off. I paid attention to everything that was going on so much that they heard news first from me sometimes. I STILL call them about guys from there who got charged or sentenced with this or that..and they're like how did you know. I tell him the truth, I read the papers (with an S) online. Whatever you do, any PO riding solo that gives you the time of day and moves that go bag out of his/her front seat and welcomes you to take the place of that bag...show appreciation. that bag is a silent partner gesture of kindness than you will understand until you have to move your own stuff for a non sworn unarmed visitor.

Comment

@Joe Snuffy, your right about that; perception and reality are two different things and I don't take anything or anyone for granted. I respect ALL cops/people alike city or suburbs. I joke about a lot of things on here because this my outlet and I enjoy gaining insight from you guys so thanks for the advice as always everyone, It means a lot more to me than you know.

Comment

On CPD, we have interns. I've never had one ride with me there ( only ride alongs we'd have were CPD Academy recruits that would ride 2 nights with the Dics while in school. Had some good kids ride with us then), but we had 2 that were in the Detective Area for a pretty long time. I would kid one that he was working on a pension from us, and would have to kick him out of my chair when I came in on PM's. He's recently been hired on a suburban PD. Good SW side kid. He'll do well OTJ.

Now when I worked in Oak Park, we had interns. They worked every part of the job, communications, investigations, patrol, tac, records, etc. I had 2 different ones ride with me for a couple of weeks. Tried to have some fun when they rode. Got in a couple car chases, responded to in progress calls. Both said they enjoyed it. One thing about interning in a smaller place, everyone gets to know you. If you test for that PD, word may get to the Pol-Fire Commission via Chief that "We want this kid." May help you get hired on that PD. In fact, in a smaller place, you will meet town trustees, Pol-Fire Commission members, Mayor, etc.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                Last edited by southpaw1; 05-10-2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5793 users online. 154 members and 5639 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X