Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Places To Complete An Internship?

Hey everyone, I have until the end of summer to apply for and complete an internship for school. I've been trying to complete this Bachelor Of Arts In Criminal Justice Degree, but life keeps getting in the way...not complaining but i'm almost there. It could be in any spectrum of the C.J system. Feel free to add your experiences with any departments or agencies. However, I am looking more on the law enforcement side, but I am open to suggestions anywhere because it is all good experience and will help me in the future, one way or another. Thanks in advance!

Elgin, Aurora, Bolingbrook, Joliet or Waukegan.
    "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

Thanks guy. I wish I lived closer to these agencies though. I live on the South-Side of the city. I've experienced the commute to all but Waukegan. Even though it's a few days a week the traffic getting there is ridiculous. I am willing to make a reasonable effort...Bolingbrook is the closest (25 miles). Do you have any specific insight or recommendations or anyone's PD have a good program? It has to be 150 hours unpaid.

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw26 View Post
        Hey everyone, I have until the end of summer to apply for and complete an internship for school. I've been trying to complete this Bachelor Of Arts In Criminal Justice Degree, but life keeps getting in the way...not complaining but i'm almost there. It could be in any spectrum of the C.J system. Feel free to add your experiences with any departments or agencies. However, I am looking more on the law enforcement side, but I am open to suggestions anywhere because it is all good experience and will help me in the future, one way or another. Thanks in advance!
        This is very subjective and difficult to truly answer.

Internships are designed to provide relevant experience that compliments your current course of study. Too often folks look at them as a sure bet route in with a given employer or industry. While some of the qualifications for an internship mirror hiring standards and some internships can put you in a good light with an agency- I would instead focus on gaining valuable and complimentary experience.

While past experiences can speak somewhat to a given agency internship opportunity- they can vary from person to person.
        Originally posted by SSD
        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Good point. Thank you. I am looking to satisfy an education requirement to graduate. It's not a typical internship...to clarify that and not specifically trying to get an "in" with a particular department. I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe a good place to gain any relevant experience in my field of study. Anything more that I can take away will be a bonus! I'm trying to get my eyes and ears on the streets, i/e ride-along type of deal. Appreciate you taking the time!

Comment

When I was peripherally involved in an internship program it was a mixed bag- for the participant and agency. It sometimes depended on the partnership with the sending school/program, the participant and their drive/interest, what was going on at that moment and other opportunities if you will.

I knew of interns who did nothing but sit around and read policy manuals and chase the brass to ask all manner of questions. Others were in line-up/briefing every shift looking to jump in on the next big caper. Others yet still sat in ‘dispatch’ for half the shift and played on the internet the rest.

Find an agency that either has a structured program that meets your needs or one that will try to work with a structured internship document/outline. Ask questions before you sing on.
            Originally posted by SSD
            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Great advice. I'm still researching it in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw26 View Post
                I know guys that interned in Homewood, South Holland, and in Oak Park. I never had a PD internship. From what I've observed, the challenging thing is finding out WHO has internships. They guys I know that did it basically did ridealongs and "right seat rides" with officers. They didn't have assignments and projects usually and they sure weren't in the station. Your best bet might be calling local PDs and flat out asking them do they hae internships etc. I had quite a few internships back then and I have never seen a job posting for PD interns so I don't even know how people found out about them. You might even want to see if like a citizens police academy or going to community meetings could count to your hours to. Sometimes teachers go for creative adjustments to the original plan if you can make it look like you'll learn something.

Comment

Last edited by southpaw1; 05-10-2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Elgin has a very structured program for interns. Also, forgot to mention ISP. Sgt., is on point with the advice. I have seen a few get Less Than Full Access and were key stroke kings/queens. Your professor should have a list of PDs who take interns and contact phone numbers. If not, I can help you get a few from the departments I mentioned.
                    "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

Cool, i really appreciate it. I'll have to look into that. I'll PM you if I have any trouble. I'm aiming for this Spring/Summer.

Comment

I am sure Spring semester internships are already taken. Also, I wouldn't be shocked if Summer was already taking reservations. You need to be at least a semester ahead to get into certain departments.

Comment

I did my I internship freshman year at KCMO PD. I had the best time of my life. All I did was do ride slings every night and help the officers with paper work. However, the other intern did nothing but sit at HQ because his first night his a quad was first to a shooting. Scared the S*** out of him. Needless to say he's not going into LE anymore. I was actually the first intern to ride with their TAC team.

Comment

@LockednLoaded: I was told that as well, so realistically Summer...i'm just waiting to get the paperwork/sign-offs/waivers from the school next week.

@atsteele: Sounds like an interesting place to do an internship. About the other guy this career is definitely not for everyone, better to find that out there rather than as a PO.

Comment

Joliet police department. I did mine there. They let you work with all the different departments there. I worked for communications, patrol, traffic, investigations, administration, K-9 unit (did joint training with cook county K-9 units), swat (this was fun!), and booking.
                              Vaya con dios

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5181 users online. 200 members and 4981 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X