300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do departments want to know....

If you have applied to any other agencies? It's no big deal but i'm very curious. Just wanna know if I am missing something with that.

Many reasons.

Some probably do not want to spend a ton of time/money doing an application if they can call another department and be told that you are likely going to get an offer from them or have already passed everything.

Second if there are any flags they see it's easy to call to the other department and see what they have.

Third when people lie they usually aren't good at it. Lie on one packet they can compare it to the other you submitted.

I'm sure there are other reasons.

Comment

And the biggest, if you've applied to 75 PD's and not hired yet, they wonder why..

Comment

Other PDs are a good source of background and poly info.

Comment

Don't think you can call other PD's a candidate applied to and ask questions about what they did in their process. If one PD called another and the 1st place said "Yeah, he flunked the poly here." would that mean he could automatically dq you? No. If places could do this, nobody would ever get hired, unless you were #1 on every list for every test you've taken. It's just to see how many lists he's on, where he may be on the list(s), and may make them wonder, like I said, applying to a lot of PD's, in diverse parts of the area, why he's not hired yet. if you've applied to Highland Pk, Riverdale, Cicero, Westchester, Crete, Orland Park, Harvey, Elmhurst, Oak Pk, etc. and can't pass a test, or pass an oral, all very diverse PD's,different types of towns, looking for different types of people for their PD's, they'll wonder if this may not be the job for you.
          Last edited by ChiTownDet; 01-17-2014, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I would think it's so they can bounce background packets, but maybe that's not the case?

Comment

This is a great question

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Hammer1 View Post
                I would think it's so they can bounce background packets, but maybe that's not the case?
                No. Agency #1 has no idea what type of BI Agency #2 did. Also, I'm pretty sure that an employer can only answer that you are either employed there, resigned from there, are under investigation, were fired, or retired. They can't give their "spin" on what they think of you....officially. If I'm the one guy at your job that works in HR and doesn't like you, want me telling every future employer that calls what a jagoff you are? You'd never get hired.

This is not to say that you are employed by Chief Bob's PD and are testing for Chief Joe's PD. Chief Joe may ask Chief Bob what type of guy you are while they have a cocktail after the monthly So. Suburban Chief of Police Meeting. Not suppose to be that way....officially., but it's done. What's said there may, or may not get you hired at Chief Joe's PD.

Say you work at a company. Through no fault of yours, but because of the negligence of that company, you are hurt on the job. We say "We're not paying for your medical bills." You sue for reimbursement of those bills and win. Want me telling every prospective employer that calls me during a BI ""Joe Blow is lawsuit crazy."

They just want to see where and how many places you applied for. You may be asked about it during the Oral Board by the Pol-Fire Commissioners.
                Last edited by ChiTownDet; 01-18-2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

To some extent, they want to see if other agencies actually "want" you. It can determine many things, but it also gives a bit of a time frame to act on whether they hire you or not. If agency A is trying to hire you and you're talking to agency B, agency B may fast track you through to snatch you up before agency A does. However this is contingent of course on whether your worth a damn or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                    No. Agency #1 has no idea what type of BI Agency #2 did. Also, I'm pretty sure that an employer can only answer that you are either employed there, resigned from there, are under investigation, were fired, or retired. They can't give their "spin" on what they think of you....officially. If I'm the one guy at your job that works in HR and doesn't like you, want me telling every future employer that calls what a jagoff you are? You'd never get hired.

This is not to say that you are employed by Chief Bob's PD and are testing for Chief Joe's PD. Chief Joe may ask Chief Bob what type of guy you are while they have a cocktail after the monthly So. Suburban Chief of Police Meeting. Not suppose to be that way....officially., but it's done. What's said there may, or may not get you hired at Chief Joe's PD.

Say you work at a company. Through no fault of yours, but because of the negligence of that company, you are hurt on the job. We say "We're not paying for your medical bills." You sue for reimbursement of those bills and win. Want me telling every prospective employer that calls me during a BI ""Joe Blow is lawsuit crazy."

They just want to see where and how many places you applied for. You may be asked about it during the Oral Board by the Pol-Fire Commissioners.
                    Makes sense, but if they don't share BI info, then what's to stop an applicant from telling agency A that he sold crack, get DQ'd for it, and then omit that info to agency B?

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Hammer1 View Post
                      Makes sense, but if they don't share BI info, then what's to stop an applicant from telling agency A that he sold crack, get DQ'd for it, and then omit that info to agency B?
                      The poly. And let's face it, The BI isn't perfect. People fall through the cracks.

Comment

My first day on the job a boss pulled me to the side and told me his old lady (who I had never spoke to or heard of) worked my background at another agency where I was at the top of the list. Still not much time passed before another boss asked if I knew one of his friends whose name I did recognize as the guy that did my BI from the same agency. There is ALWAYS somebody watching.

Comment

I know that an applicant could reach a point where there are so many departments that did not hire him/her that it becomes questionable. However, would it not also look good if you have applied for several other departments and have not given up your search? As in, show that you are serious about it?

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                            Don't think you can call other PD's a candidate applied to and ask questions about what they did in their process. If one PD called another and the 1st place said "Yeah, he flunked the poly here." would that mean he could automatically dq you? No. If places could do this, nobody would ever get hired, unless you were #1 on every list for every test you've taken. It's just to see how many lists he's on, where he may be on the list(s), and may make them wonder, like I said, applying to a lot of PD's, in diverse parts of the area, why he's not hired yet. if you've applied to Highland Pk, Riverdale, Cicero, Westchester, Crete, Orland Park, Harvey, Elmhurst, Oak Pk, etc. and can't pass a test, or pass an oral, all very diverse PD's,different types of towns, looking for different types of people for their PD's, they'll wonder if this may not be the job for you.
                            Sure you can. If you have a release, you can mine for whatever info you want. You can compare apps and resumes, you can look at old pollys, you can see if the other BI found something you didn't, etc., etc.

Comment

A lot would have to do with what those releases say that you all sign without actually reading when you do an app. Does it say that it authorizes an agency to get info from people and / or disseminate info to other agencies? Like Joe Snuff and I both said, info gets exchanged informally more than formally among PD's. When you're OTJ for a while, you meet people from all over the area. More info gets exchanged at Chiefs of Police monthly meetings, at bars, and at fund raisers. Over the years, beside Chicago, I may know people at over 50 area agencies. Just a phone call to find out "what the story" is on someone. And all BI's are not created equal. Some are more in depth than others. Some are just running you in LEADS, driving abstract, and FBI prints, maybe a call to a reference of 2. Actually ILTSB should come up with a standardized BI criteria. I see PD's doing what Chicago does in the future, and farming out BI's to private firms. Some town with 2 dics doesn't have the time to do 10 BI's at once.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5674 users online. 194 members and 5480 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X