X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corona11
    started a topic Graduate Programs

Graduate Programs

My department offers us tuition reimbursement and I'm thinking of getting my masters. I was kind of curious if any of you guys on here have gotten your graduate degree, and if so what program/degree or schools did you go with. Thanks in advance for the replies.

• southpaw26
    replied
    Hey corona, I'm not at the Graduate level yet, but look into Governors State University (GSU). It's one of the most underrated schools in the area. They have a Masters and even a Doctorate level program there. They have on-line and off campus classes area-wide. They recently started offering classes where you meet at the Oak Lawn Fire Department, Lemont Police Station, for example. It's in a classroom setting, but the program is flexible to include different schedules. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• ModerateLiberal
    replied
    First and foremost, having a Master's degree in anything is going to benefit you no matter what. That being said, I would avoid Criminal Justice (Criminology, LEJA, etc.), Sociology, and Psychology. It's been my experience that those concentrations fall too much in-line with the job. Expand your horizons and add additional tools to your toolbox by challenging yourself in a different concentration. Management, business, or administration concentrations in general will augment your role as a officer, assist in upward and lateral advancement within your department, and open up many more doors outside of LE.

I researched what degrees and levels of education that Chiefs across the country had attained, and about 80% of department leaders across the US had a Masters or higher in Public Administraion. I started doing my research, and found that UIC has a nationally ranked (Top 10) Public Administration Masters an PhD program. I completed my undergrad at UIC before getting on the job, and I was happy with the quality of instruction. I'm very happy with my decision. I have a friend who chose to take his Masters coursework in PA at DePaul, and he loves the program there. I know NIU also offers it, and UofI Springfield has a ton of online coursework avaialable within their MPA program.

Avoid online schools. It's ok to complete online coursework as long as its through a legitimate institution of higher learning, but stay away from the knock-off places. I see ton's of degree mills advertised on this site and other LE sites, it's a real shame.

Compus aside, definitely consider Public Administration. NOT Criminal Justice Administration or some other hybrid program designed to attracted working stiffs, but true Public Administration. Its a management degree for the public sector and compliments our line of work without getting blended into it.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    I know that CPD guys that are going for their Masters have some classes from Calumet College taught at the CPD Academy. If you're in the City, or close by, this may help you out from travelling to a far away campus.

Leave a comment:

• Cable
    replied
    Too bad Benedictine University ended the First Responders Program. Free college for cops and fire fighters.

They are talking about starting a accelerated Criminal Justice program. If you pick them, get a business degree.

Leave a comment:

• CPD-Retired-On-Duty
    replied
    Originally posted by Eiba View Post
    Come to Lewis University and all your wildest dreams will come true.
    Go FLYERS !!

Leave a comment:

• Joe Snuffy
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
    There was a guy some years back that was a burb Chief that had a PHD. He actually had on his desk and nameplate Dr. Supt xxxxx. Everyone thought he was a putz.
    That is rather putzy.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Snuffy
    replied
    Originally posted by LockednLoaded View Post
    Disagreed. Only difference is instructor led versus online. Degrees are not different unless you enroll with a for-profit university. Unfortunately, it's with the times. CA residents can get their J.D. online even. Most of the skill sets you listed could be mastered outside of school anyways. An officer doesn't need a degree to excel in the job. Testing for Command is becoming for demanding for education.
    Hey, I sent you a PM so everybody doesn't have to wade through our dialogue.

Leave a comment:

• LockednLoaded
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
    Everyone thought he was a putz.
    Putz! Brings me back to my HS best friend. We still each other putzes to this day.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    There was a guy some years back that was a burb Chief that had a PHD. He actually had on his desk and nameplate Dr. Supt xxxxx. Everyone thought he was a putz.

Leave a comment:

• beachcop05
    replied
    Originally posted by corona11 View Post
    My department offers us tuition reimbursement and I'm thinking of getting my masters. I was kind of curious if any of you guys on here have gotten your graduate degree, and if so what program/degree or schools did you go with. Thanks in advance for the replies.
    I say go for it, especially if your department is paying for it.

I got my Masters Degree in History last year, and have just applied for a PhD program.

Leave a comment:

• LockednLoaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
    Online works much better as a second degree but not as a primary degree. Also, online program and online school are not the same. Imagine your academy experience...online. It's kind of the same (except for PT and physical scenarios). Now for old timers who didn't need degrees at all, it's a feather in their cap but if you're in the up and coming generation your competition is going to be people from regular schools. There were over 60 recruits in my class...maybe 3 didn't have any college at all. Everybody else went to traditional schools. Does it make you a better cop? No. Does it give you a leg up? Put it like this...I was learning about budgets, union contracts, reviewing board minutes, reading the strategic plan etc. before I came on the job. The future of your department is not as hidden as some people think, the details are in the documents. That's what I learned in grad school. You can make a lot more informed decisions when you make the municipal business your business. Some guys just don't have the stomach for it. Don't know how I got here so just forgive the tangent.
    Disagreed. Only difference is instructor led versus online. Degrees are not different unless you enroll with a for-profit university. Unfortunately, it's with the times. CA residents can get their J.D. online even. Most of the skill sets you listed could be mastered outside of school anyways. An officer doesn't need a degree to excel in the job. Testing for Command is becoming for demanding for education.

Leave a comment:

• Eiba
    replied
    Come to Lewis University and all your wildest dreams will come true.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Snuffy
    replied
    Originally posted by LockednLoaded View Post
    BU and PSU both have the programs, which may be a little more reputable universities. Not sure if all your reimbursement will cover those tuitions. As roseboy stated, local may be a better path for local contacts. Personally, online is the way to go in our world.
    Online works much better as a second degree but not as a primary degree. Also, online program and online school are not the same. Imagine your academy experience...online. It's kind of the same (except for PT and physical scenarios). Now for old timers who didn't need degrees at all, it's a feather in their cap but if you're in the up and coming generation your competition is going to be people from regular schools. There were over 60 recruits in my class...maybe 3 didn't have any college at all. Everybody else went to traditional schools. Does it make you a better cop? No. Does it give you a leg up? Put it like this...I was learning about budgets, union contracts, reviewing board minutes, reading the strategic plan etc. before I came on the job. The future of your department is not as hidden as some people think, the details are in the documents. That's what I learned in grad school. You can make a lot more informed decisions when you make the municipal business your business. Some guys just don't have the stomach for it. Don't know how I got here so just forgive the tangent.

Leave a comment:

• LockednLoaded
    replied
    BU and PSU both have the programs, which may be a little more reputable universities. Not sure if all your reimbursement will cover those tuitions. As roseboy stated, local may be a better path for local contacts. Personally, online is the way to go in our world.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8532 users online. 359 members and 8173 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X