Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeKalb County Sheriff's Office

Hey all,

DCSO has a posting on The Blue Line for spots on their eligibility list, and I will be applying. I've looked at the older threads on the forum, but they are both old and contain little information. Has anyone gone through the process with them, and if so, what was it like?

Also, any information about the department, such as amount of time to expect to work corrections before transitioning to patrol, staffing, morale, equipment, etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any information.
    Last edited by dzhurba93; 01-07-2014, 10:11 AM. Reason: additional information

I know they tested a year ago.

Comment

You going to patrol depends on your abilities, open positions, and their immediate needs. It is not automatic. You may work up in the jail forever. If you do just enjoy the pay check because it's barely below patrol's pay.
      Formerly "TheAxolotl"

Comment

Originally posted by dzhurba93 View Post
        Hey all,

DCSO has a posting on The Blue Line for spots on their eligibility list, and I will be applying. I've looked at the older threads on the forum, but they are both old and contain little information. Has anyone gone through the process with them, and if so, what was it like?

Also, any information about the department, such as amount of time to expect to work corrections before transitioning to patrol, staffing, morale, equipment, etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any information.
        You as well look out for City of DeKalb and NIU as well, not that any of them are hiring soon to my knowledge but I wouldn't be surprised if those other agencies paid more. Rumor was back in the day the university paid more than the city.

Comment

NIU is the lowest paid of both of those with Dekalb City being the highest (upper 70's). DCSO is about $72k but in negotiations currently.
          Formerly "TheAxolotl"

Comment

Originally posted by BoyWithStick View Post
            You going to patrol depends on your abilities, open positions, and their immediate needs. It is not automatic. You may work up in the jail forever. If you do just enjoy the pay check because it's barely below patrol's pay.
            Understood. I have no issues working in the jail for years. From what I have heard, those that have worked in corrections, upon transitioning to patrol, either within the same agency or with another PD or SO, have more confidence and better verbal skills. They also know the regulars and where to find them .

Comment

Originally posted by BoyWithStick View Post
              NIU is the lowest paid of both of those with Dekalb City being the highest (upper 70's). DCSO is about $72k but in negotiations currently.
              Starting pay for DCSO is $49K, according to their Blue Line posting and County website.

Comment

Yes, starting... When you talk about how much a dept gets paid in comparison to another you need to look at the top out salaries, the pay steps, and so forth. Starting pay is just that, starting. You need to understand where you are going and how long it takes to get there.
                Formerly "TheAxolotl"

Comment

Did they ever hire anyone

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10586 users online. 496 members and 10090 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X