• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyons IL

Laying off 10 Officers wow!!!

Cool story bro.

Comment

Actually not cool at all. Granted the OP should have linked to the backing article, but this is hardly a situation to find humor in.
      www.saveavet.org

Comment

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...tract-officers

Lyons police officers face layoffs
        Amid contract talks, union reports 10 received notice they'll be out of work after Christmas
        December 15, 2013|By Matthew Walberg, Chicago Tribune reporter
        Tribune photo illustration
        Tribune photo illustration
        Amid talks over a new contract, the village of Lyons has sent notices to 10 of its police officers that they will be laid off two days after Christmas.

The letters, sent earlier this month, targets about 40 percent of the department's police force, which has about two dozen officers, according to the union that represents them.

"They were notified that they were going to be laid off, but the union and the administration are working to come up with an agreement to avoid that," said Tamara Cummings, general counsel for the Illinois Fraternal Order of Police Labor Council.

"This is probably the biggest layoff notice we've gotten in a while in terms of percentage of overall manpower."

Village Manager Thomas Sheahan, who formerly served as chief of the Oak Brook Police Department, said layoffs have been part of the discussion as both sides try to hammer out a new contract. The current contract expires Dec. 31, he said.

Sheahan would not comment on how many officers work for the department or whether any layoff notices were sent.

"We're in the middle of a contract negotiations with the police officers," he said. "It's progressing, and I don't think it'd be prudent on anyone's part to make a comment on anything."

Village of Lyons Mayor Christopher Getty could not be reached for comment.

In November, the Village Board voted to cut this year's $4.7 million police budget by $1 million for next year.

At the time, Getty said the cuts might result in layoffs of six officers and that the village might also close its dispatch center and hire a private contractor.

[email protected]

Comment

Scare tactics by the village to get the police union to agree to a crappy new contract is my guess.

Comment

This is not the direction we need to be going in. It's a bad move, even if it is just scare tactics. It sends the wrong message and it only hurts the morale of the officers there. I hope they work this out. That is why I am seriously planning to test out of state soon to bigger agencies in CA and TX.

Comment

Texas is good. Cali is kind of mehhh. I did cali still am lol. But from word of mouth Texas is where it's at.

Comment

And that Village Manager. This guy has a black cloud over his head where ever he is, and keeps landing on his feet (see oak Brook).

Wonder what their game plan is for policing that town, if they cut a third of their guys? Wonder if they're getting rid of the handful of PT guys they have, also. Luckily, it's not the Lyons of old..
                Last edited by ChiTownDet; 12-17-2013, 07:31 AM.

Comment

@illiniguy
                  Cool, thanks. I was kinda leaning that way because of the better cost of living. I'm looking at San Antonio and DFW Areas.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                    And that Village Manager. This guy has a black cloud over his head where ever he is, and keeps landing on his feet (see oak Brook).

Wonder what their game plan is for policing that town, if they cut a third of their guys? Wonder if they're getting rid of the handful of PT guys they have, also. Luckily, it's not the Lyons of old..
                    Yeah...it's unfortunate. They wanna cut/balance their short-term budgets at the cost of public/police safety and consolidate everything when they should be taking a pay cut in their salaries. It's going to backfire in the long-run if they decide to go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by illiniguy929 View Post
                      Texas is good. Cali is kind of mehhh. I did cali still am lol. But from word of mouth Texas is where it's at.
                      Got a former squad mate that's in Texas now and he does not like it. They gave him a lot problems down there but maybe it's just the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
                        Actually not cool at all. Granted the OP should have linked to the backing article, but this is hardly a situation to find humor in.
                        His reading comp is off. They sent letters to the officers but didn't have the stones to admit they were laying off POs, meaning it is a scare tactic that they aren't all the way in on committing to just yet.

Comment

A member of my family was one of those laid off. He had quite a few years of seniority too. It sounds like a large cut. It will leave those who remain employed with less backup, and the town with less service.

Comment

Apparently this was not just a scare tactic...Lyons appears to be following through with cutting it's PD by a third and dissolving their Detective Division. This is the link to the story:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=9499431

Comment

Wow...... Really?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8529 users online. 387 members and 8142 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X