300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good departments to start out at

Can anybody send me in the right direction of good PDs to start my career with? I'm thinking of looking at smaller towns that will likely have less applicants than Chicago land. Any info would be much appreciated!

Out of state lmao

Comment

Pretty much any one that will hire you in this tough market. If you're bringing a lot to the table, you can be a bit more choosy, but at entry-level, it is hard to get noticed.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Like the others have said, test everywhere until you get on. Two years and 35 tests later, I am about to get sworn in this week. Luckily, this was one of the departments I really wanted to work for too. Just keep knocking and someone will answer the door!
        Last edited by j89; 12-17-2013, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Anywhere that will hire you!

Comment

My first department was in Texas. Don't be afraid to look out of state. Also bigger departments with more turnover typically hire more new recruits.

Comment

Good advice from these guys. Couldn't have said it better than Illiniguy. There are a few dept's that I wouldn't step foot into. Not naming them on here. But once you really start testing and interviewing well with various departments, you'll realize that there are so many good places to work for. And the wait is worth it for a good dept rather than starting out in a place with lower standards in a crappy town with a crappy reputation just because you wanted that IL LE certification.

Comment

Also to go off what Corona said. Out of state is something you should look into if you have the means. It's crazy to go to other states and see almost all the departments hiring people like wildfire. AND a lot of places don't have the 2 year eligibility list crap. More like 1 year max.

Comment

^Wow I just finished posting a similar message on the Lyons thread about seriously considering moving for other agencies. I agree 100 percent and I only wish I would've considered this earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiguy27 View Post
                    Good advice from these guys. Couldn't have said it better than Illiniguy. There are a few dept's that I wouldn't step foot into. Not naming them on here. But once you really start testing and interviewing well with various departments, you'll realize that there are so many good places to work for. And the wait is worth it for a good dept rather than starting out in a place with lower standards in a crappy town with a crappy reputation just because you wanted that IL LE certification.
                    Can you PM me the specifics...just curious!

Comment

I meant anywhere that will hire you as in it's a good reputable department. Best of luck!!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! Can anyone point me in the right direction of what state to look at? I've been considering this for a while and I'm just not sure where to start.

Comment

It's a good time to be a Texan from what I hear That's where i'm going. Check out the Texas threads.

Comment

Out of state IL is f'd!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Hammer1 View Post
                              Thanks for the info guys! Can anyone point me in the right direction of what state to look at? I've been considering this for a while and I'm just not sure where to start.
                              Virginia has quite a few larger departments that hire in large quantities regularly. Virginia Beach runs 2 academies/year with 30-40 in each class.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7278 users online. 228 members and 7050 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X