Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know where they send their new recruits to be trained? PTI? SLEA?

Comment

Sent some folks to SLEA recently

Comment

Oh that would be magical. I cannot live away from home for the duration of training. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by SEM View Post
          Oh that would be magical. I cannot live away from home for the duration of training. Thanks for the info!
          Well, if you can't/won't live away from home for 3 months for a chance at this career, maybe you can't/won't be able to rationalize the sacrifice needed to do this job?

Comment

And you can come home every weekend also

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
              Well, if you can't/won't live away from home for 3 months for a chance at this career, maybe you can't/won't be able to rationalize the sacrifice needed to do this job?
              I don't think being unable or unwilling to live away from home for 3 months means a person isn't right for the job. But please sit behind your computer and pass judgements on people you know nothing about.

The entire CPD didn't live away from home for 3 months to get trained, and I bet some of them have things in their lives that would prevent them from doing so. Think they're not willing to sacrifice? Grow up.

Comment

I bet your situation is similar to mine. My wife was high risk pregnancy, weekly trips to the hospital for dehydration, constipation, high blood pressure, etc. I turned down an offer from another unit in the Army to go to California with them to the field for a month, they weren't very happy. But after having done multiple field problems and deployments, I felt that I had spent enough time away from her and that this would be our one and only child due to her age made it even more important.

Comment

I agree, not everyone can go away for training. Some people have families and children that they just can't leave all day, for 5 days a week. Doesn't mean you can't do this job. Being at work 8 hours a day isn't the same as being gone all week.

Comment

I don't think being unable or unwilling to live away from home for 3 months means a person isn't right for the job. But please sit behind your computer and pass judgements on people you know nothing about.

The entire CPD didn't live away from home for 3 months to get trained, and I bet some of them have things in their lives that would prevent them from doing so. Think they're not willing to sacrifice? Grow up.
                    I am not saying that you have to live away from home to get trained. However, I will tell you my outlook on the sacrifice and the things I had to do to get hired and trained are no joke. Just based on my life and experience and those opinions are mine, and mine alone. When I hear people say what they dont like, or wont like, or they are not willing to do or want to do. I just say to myself that some people have no idea what is ahead of them.

Comment

You make some very valid points. You do need to understand that Scotty is making some very valid points as well. This is not the CPD message board, or even ISP, where you know without a doubt where you will go. I was dreading the idea but prepared to go to ISP or PTI. It was not going to work well for my family life for me to go to Springfield or Urbana but it was what it was. What Scotty is saying is the same exact thing you would hear at any department you go to. I had to hear over and over how I got to come home each night and how unfair that was compared to what other officers had to do and blah, blah, blah..my private parts are hurting. Whatever. The thing is this, when you take many of these tests you do so without any idea of where they have or will get an academy slot. In theory, what Scotty is saying is correct. Basically, if you can't meet the requirements that might be imposed this is probably not that cup of tea for you. We all have situations with personal concerns but this job is always a gamble and it will ask you to say screw your family several times over your career. Some people can deal with it and lose money and promotions to stick it to the department instead. Some people get the promotions and money and lose their 1st (and 2nd families). I can see how you would take Scotty's message wrong but dude is really one of the most positive and encouraging guys on here. Like it or not, this job is going to ask things of you that will not bode well for your family. I am already planning on what rank I will retire from the military with because though I am sure I can make 1-2 ranks higher, I refuse to push any further. Why? I want to get out with my family intact and some dark hair on my head if there is any of that left. So for me, I'm getting out as close to 20 years as possible...because I know how demanding an unforgiving it can be. See beyond the academy. Scotty's talking about preparation for a career asking these things of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
                        You make some very valid points. You do need to understand that Scotty is making some very valid points as well. This is not the CPD message board, or even ISP, where you know without a doubt where you will go. I was dreading the idea but prepared to go to ISP or PTI. It was not going to work well for my family life for me to go to Springfield or Urbana but it was what it was. What Scotty is saying is the same exact thing you would hear at any department you go to. I had to hear over and over how I got to come home each night and how unfair that was compared to what other officers had to do and blah, blah, blah..my private parts are hurting. Whatever. The thing is this, when you take many of these tests you do so without any idea of where they have or will get an academy slot. In theory, what Scotty is saying is correct. Basically, if you can't meet the requirements that might be imposed this is probably not that cup of tea for you. We all have situations with personal concerns but this job is always a gamble and it will ask you to say screw your family several times over your career. Some people can deal with it and lose money and promotions to stick it to the department instead. Some people get the promotions and money and lose their 1st (and 2nd families). I can see how you would take Scotty's message wrong but dude is really one of the most positive and encouraging guys on here. Like it or not, this job is going to ask things of you that will not bode well for your family. I am already planning on what rank I will retire from the military with because though I am sure I can make 1-2 ranks higher, I refuse to push any further. Why? I want to get out with my family intact and some dark hair on my head if there is any of that left. So for me, I'm getting out as close to 20 years as possible...because I know how demanding an unforgiving it can be. See beyond the academy. Scotty's talking about preparation for a career asking these things of you.
                        I'm flattered Joe, next time you have to offer me a cig after fluffing me up like that.....

Comment

Oh Scotty dont make me blush..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6298 users online. 290 members and 6008 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X