Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to Expect at Metro Police Academy ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Expect at Metro Police Academy ?

I just Learned I will be Attending the Chicago Metro Police Academy Nov 18th and I would love to know what to expect. I apologize if this topic has already been covered.

Originally posted by Marine_MP View Post
    I just Learned I will be Attending the Chicago Metro Police Academy Nov 18th and I would love to know what to expect. I apologize if this topic has already been covered.

Expect to graduate 4 weeks later than SLEA and Cook County. I'm just ball bustin'. Congratulations.

Comment

Thanks !
      Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
      Expect to graduate 4 weeks later than SLEA and Cook County. I'm just ball bustin'. Congratulations.

Comment

Metro is a good Academy. They are hard at first, but it laxes after a bit. You don't have much time in between the primary tests and your state test to study so things come quick. It runs about 4 months and the day starts around. 0545 and goes until about 1400. It also depends on who your HRI will be and how much PT you'll do. Some guys are lax on that, others are work out machines. It'll be a good time though.

Comment

Hey thanks, If its anything like my Marine Corps Basic training then im in for a good time.

Originally posted by Raiden341 View Post
          Metro is a good Academy. They are hard at first, but it laxes after a bit. You don't have much time in between the primary tests and your state test to study so things come quick. It runs about 4 months and the day starts around. 0545 and goes until about 1400. It also depends on who your HRI will be and how much PT you'll do. Some guys are lax on that, others are work out machines. It'll be a good time though.

Comment

[QUOTE=Marine_MP;3370485]I just Learned I will be Attending the Chicago Metro Police Academy Nov 18th and I would love to know what to expect. I apologize if this topic has already been covered.

Congrats and good luck!

Comment

Hey thanks, If its anything like my Marine Corps Basic training then im in for a good time.
              If you handled Marine Basic, this will probably feel like a country club, lol.

Comment

Congrats! Metro runs pretty fast! The downside is that there are numerous departments placed into one classroom so a lot of the academics will be general and sometimes vague, but assuming you are getting into a good department you will gain detailed skills in you field training, in house training, and experience. Depending on your home room instructors, they will be detail on your uniform appearance. Don't get careless just because you see CPD recruits get careless with their appearance.
                Also, don't think that they will be easy on you because you're Metro, if anything some instructors will be harder on you because of the short time. Firearms instruction was probably the more difficult for some Metro recruits. In there it's all about listening and following directions, if you don't then those instructors will come down HARD on you, and rightfully so! Firearms is no game and they take it very serious down there.
                You will have the one idiot or two who will ask the dumb questions all the time. Be ready to help each other out, even if you're not part of the same department, you are part of the same class. I honestly recommend bringing two of everything because someone will always forget something and then the whole class pays for it. I highly recommend motivating classmates to participate in before or after class workouts with an instructor it makes you guys look good and it benefits your health.
                One last thing if you ever see a white shirt talking to a CPD class in the hallways I suggest you turn around and go another way. If they are doing scenarios I also suggest going a different route. If you ever see a fellow classmate being told by higher up to do push ups or lean and rest don't just walk by them or you will pay the price. Instead join in, I learn that the hard way LOL.
                Also, some CPD recruits will give you guys ****. Ignore them because to them the only real police is CPD, but there are a lot good CPD recruits as well who are more than willing to help out. If you have any more questions PM me.

Comment

Its nothing like MC Basic!

You are going to the academy for Aviation, A couple pieces of advice. 1. You're a Marine, be a leader, be squared away, be professional, no one expects much from the Aviation guys prove them wrong. 2. Study hard and learn everything you can from your instructors. Once on the job you will not be treated as the Police by the department nor will you get to do any real law enforcement. 3. Take the scenarios serious, nothing can replace real world experiences and continued training, but again you will not get any training on the job at Aviation and if something really real world does come up, there is a pretty good chance (99%) the officers backing you will have no idea how to handle the situation. 4. Seek knowledge from anywhere and everywhere.

Good luck and Semper Fi

Comment

thanks a lot for the info, it really helps.
                    Originally posted by impala_ws6 View Post
                    Congrats! Metro runs pretty fast! The downside is that there are numerous departments placed into one classroom so a lot of the academics will be general and sometimes vague, but assuming you are getting into a good department you will gain detailed skills in you field training, in house training, and experience. Depending on your home room instructors, they will be detail on your uniform appearance. Don't get careless just because you see CPD recruits get careless with their appearance.
                    Also, don't think that they will be easy on you because you're Metro, if anything some instructors will be harder on you because of the short time. Firearms instruction was probably the more difficult for some Metro recruits. In there it's all about listening and following directions, if you don't then those instructors will come down HARD on you, and rightfully so! Firearms is no game and they take it very serious down there.
                    You will have the one idiot or two who will ask the dumb questions all the time. Be ready to help each other out, even if you're not part of the same department, you are part of the same class. I honestly recommend bringing two of everything because someone will always forget something and then the whole class pays for it. I highly recommend motivating classmates to participate in before or after class workouts with an instructor it makes you guys look good and it benefits your health.
                    One last thing if you ever see a white shirt talking to a CPD class in the hallways I suggest you turn around and go another way. If they are doing scenarios I also suggest going a different route. If you ever see a fellow classmate being told by higher up to do push ups or lean and rest don't just walk by them or you will pay the price. Instead join in, I learn that the hard way LOL.
                    Also, some CPD recruits will give you guys ****. Ignore them because to them the only real police is CPD, but there are a lot good CPD recruits as well who are more than willing to help out. If you have any more questions PM me.

Comment

thanks for the Advice, Semper Fi and have fun on the Big Marine Corps Birthday this upcoming weekend.
                      Originally posted by jpsmsg View Post
                      Its nothing like MC Basic!

You are going to the academy for Aviation, A couple pieces of advice. 1. You're a Marine, be a leader, be squared away, be professional, no one expects much from the Aviation guys prove them wrong. 2. Study hard and learn everything you can from your instructors. Once on the job you will not be treated as the Police by the department nor will you get to do any real law enforcement. 3. Take the scenarios serious, nothing can replace real world experiences and continued training, but again you will not get any training on the job at Aviation and if something really real world does come up, there is a pretty good chance (99%) the officers backing you will have no idea how to handle the situation. 4. Seek knowledge from anywhere and everywhere.

Good luck and Semper Fi

Comment

Marine _MP if the instructors are the same guys when I went through eight years ago you being a Marine you may be class leader. Good luck, look at the plexiglass with the bullet behind it. You will understand why firearm instructors are so hard on the recruits as Impala said. The first five weeks will be strict but after that it is a breeze if you stay focused and listen to the instructors.

Comment

Originally posted by littleguy View Post
                          Marine _MP if the instructors are the same guys when I went through eight years ago you being a Marine you may be class leader. Good luck, look at the plexiglass with the bullet behind it. You will understand why firearm instructors are so hard on the recruits as Impala said. The first five weeks will be strict but after that it is a breeze if you stay focused and listen to the instructors.
                          It's still there btw ;-) Along with a new one done to the elevator. No it wasn't me or anyone in Metro.

Comment

The one in the elevator wasnt done by a CPD recruit either. ;-)

Comment

I graduated from Metro in 2009. Back then we ran twice a day. Sometimes to the lake front, sometimes to Cabrini Green projects....the snow or rain was never an excuse. The PT sessions in the gym were brutal, but I loved it. I remember carrying my classmates physically up the stairs, crawling in the hallways on our elbows, or hours of lean and rest. By the time I got home all I could think about is sleep.

I'm not sure why but things have changed drastically. I've spoken with several new officers who attended Metro within the last couple of years and they look at me crazy when I share my experiences. Apparently they don't demand as much out of you physically. The guys told me they ran a total of 3-4 times the entire duration of the academy! One guy even told me some PT was volunteer only! I'm not sure why so much has changed, but I'm assuming some recruit beefed that things were too demanding. Who knows.

The classroom stuff was simple, and anyone with a high school education shouldn't have a problem. Just study, and everything should be fine. Not to disrespect the State Test, but it's not as hard as the instructors make it out to be.

Have fun and good luck.

*edited for spelling errors*
                              Last edited by StephDakel; 11-06-2013, 12:51 PM.
                              Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5664 users online. 190 members and 5474 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X