Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of state Indiana Officer with questions on transfering to Illinois.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of state Indiana Officer with questions on transfering to Illinois.

Hello everyone. Here is my situation. I may have to move to Chicago because my wife has some family issues there that need addressed. I'm a certified Police Officer here in Indiana and have been full time since 2007 with the same dept. I'm an instructor and have some good training. I'm 35, turning 36 at the end of the year. What are my chances of getting on in the west suburbs of Illinois or around that area either north or south? Some questions would be about laterals, retirement age (Indiana cut off is 36). I'm not going to the academy again, or don't really want to. Do they hire people like me, or is it a young man's game? I have not had to really worry about finding a job and would like to find out a little more before I start really applying anywhere.
    Last edited by Soxfan7987; 10-24-2013, 02:49 AM.

Originally posted by Soxfan7987 View Post
    Hello everyone. Here is my situation. I may have to move to Chicago because my wife has some family issues there that need addressed. I'm a certified Police Officer here in Indiana and have been full time since 2007 with the same dept. I'm an instructor and have some good training. I'm 35, turning 36 at the end of the year. What are my chances of getting on in the west suburbs of Illinois or around that area either north or south? Some questions would be about laterals, retirement age (Indiana cut off is 36). I'm not going to the academy again, or don't really want to. Do they hire people like me, or is it a young man's game? I have not had to really worry about finding a job and would like to find out a little more before I start really applying anywhere.
    Illinois requires 400 hours of academy training. You do have a shot. I would narrow my focus to one particular region, if possible, because the environments and the courthouses differ regionally. There are a lot of Illinois cops who live in Indiana also, especially in the south burbs, and they could be a helpful resource to you. You may also want to consider if staying in Indiana, while living in Chicago, is feasible though I'm sure your retirement/pension in Indiana will not compare if you switch to Illinois. You can start here: http://www.ptb.state.il.us/training/...outofstate.htm
    Best wishes.

Comment

What Joe said, plus I would call the Police Standards and Training Board on the age thing, as it's 35 cutoff except if you are a P/O, then it's 40 (as per Police -Fire Commission Rules). Don't know if out of state cert makes a difference or not with the age. You may have a better chance with south and near west PD's than north or northwest. I think working as a PT P/O in Ill. extends that 35 yo cutoff, but I'm not positive. Seems I saw that somewhere.
      Last edited by ChiTownDet; 10-24-2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Look for departments that hire part time and get on with them and get the state transition. Good luck.

Comment

I transferred from Texas. While I am 24 I cant speak about age cutoffs because in most circles I am considered young. I can speak about getting your creds transferred and for me it was kinda a pain in the butt. I believe my experience was due to the incompetence within the dept I worked for when I first came over. if you call the state training board they are super nice and helpful. They helped me get everything squared away.

Comment

Originally posted by ASTANVET View Post
            I transferred from Texas. While I am 24 I cant speak about age cutoffs because in most circles I am considered young. I can speak about getting your creds transferred and for me it was kinda a pain in the butt. I believe my experience was due to the incompetence within the dept I worked for when I first came over. if you call the state training board they are super nice and helpful. They helped me get everything squared away.
            I'm going to PM you.

Comment

Your PM is off. Where in Texas did you work?

Comment

Originally posted by ASTANVET View Post
                A friend of mine just did the reverse and transferred TO Texas but had the same type of experience. You guys have so many more hours than us it's weird they gave you problems but like you said it may have been your dept.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6766 users online. 212 members and 6554 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X