300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're not hiring right now

Does anyone else hate when you go to an orientation and the chief says this. Granted I know alot can happen in 2 years on a list but a part of me hates hearing those words.

How about a chief of police telling you, "If you weren't committed to the army for two weeks in the summer and one weekend a month, I would've hired you yesterday."

Too bad I didn't have a recorder going.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by chiefs123 View Post
      Does anyone else hate when you go to an orientation and the chief says this. Granted I know alot can happen in 2 years on a list but a part of me hates hearing those words.
      You need to understand how the process works.

Government agencies are budgeted to employ a specific number of people. You cannot hire someone until one of those positions becomes vacant. Testing to fill positions (written, oral, physical agility, background, medical & psych) is both expensive and time consuming. If you did it every time a position came vacant it would be excessively costly and you would never fill spots in a timely manner. In addition, if you made people test over and over for each and every position no one would test for you, limiting your candidate pool.

So, many agencies test every couple of years. Successfully candidates are ranked according to their score and over the next two years they are hired off the list as positions come vacant. The department may not be hiring right now but they will be down the road and when someone retires, and they will be hiring again. Then when someone promotes and a couple more lateral off to other agencies they will hire once more.

That’s how it has always worked for years. You wait for the window to test, get on the list and wait for vacancies to open up. It can be anywhere from a six month to four year process. That’s just the nature of the beast.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1, In Illinois, the hiring of Police and Fire are dictated by state law through Police and Fire Commissions. These are people appointed by mayors of each town, usually residents, business owners from town, maybe retired P/O or F/F from that town. Police-Fire Commission rules in Illinois dictate that you must have an eligibility list of new candidates for Police - Fire. These lists are only good for 2 years, with a few exceptions (like a "Home Rule" community). At the end of 2 years the list expires, whether anyone is hired off it or not and testing for a new list commences, again whether there are any vacancies or not or if the municipality intends to hire anyone or not. They MUST keep that current list for 2 years. This only applies to hiring of FULL TIME Police Officers or F/F's, not P/T, Reserves, or Aux., and only municipalities, not Sheriff's Dept's in Illinois. Link on Fire-Police Commission Law in Illinois is below.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...qEnd=131700000
        Last edited by ChiTownDet; 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefs123 View Post
          Specially after you've paid $40 for the Nipsta test, depending on your doctor $25-$50 for a physical if they want one and another $25-$50 to apply for the job itself . . .

Then people wonder why many applicants are becoming bitter.

Comment

Like Raiden said the after the costs of everything. It would be kind of frustrating. You just have to keep at it.
            Last edited by illiniguy929; 10-06-2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

You guys can't let that discourage you. Hiring or not, go into the test thinking they are hiring and get a high score so you are in the top ten. A lot can happen in 2 years. I just got hired by my agency a year and a half after I took the test. They were on a hiring freeze at the time.

If you really want this career, you'll do whatever it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden341 View Post
                Specially after you've paid $40 for the Nipsta test, depending on your doctor $25-$50 for a physical if they want one and another $25-$50 to apply for the job itself . . .

Then people wonder why many applicants are becoming bitter.
                Applicants are becoming bitter? Are applicants owed something to justify this bitterness? The career will NET you in the vicinity of $40,000 to $50,000 a year to start, which may or may not include overtime, extra duty assignments, stipends, specialty pay, raises, and step increases. Additionally, the networking opportunities that you have within this field are limitless; the money is out there for off-duty endeavors. I've seen too many threads and posts regarding what an "inconvenience" these fees are. At the end of the day, its not only insignificant, its less than what the department pays to offer the test to you in the first place. YOU knew the rules before you joined, YOU signed up voluntarily, and its time for you to redirect the energy spent on the whining over application fees towards making phone calls to schedule ride-alongs, ask questions, apply for internships, and generally learn more about the towns you want to work for so you can rock the interview and actually get hired.

Comment

Well captain, first thing is, I already have the job. I'm merely pointing out a fact that between application costs, NIPSTA, "filing fees", that yes, applicants are becoming bitter. Internships do little for getting on, ride along and learning about the town don't do jack. I've been asked town-specific questions in maybe 2/3 interviews total?
                  I'm tired of reading this "the career pays you back so well that it doesn't matter". To people that don't have this job yet, and have to pay all these fees and schedule these NIPSTA runs or physicals and play run around, yes it does suck for them. And that's not even counting what they have to buy once they get on. Maybe people have part time jobs or don't have some amazing well-paying gig where all the fees wouldn't matter to them.

Comment

It's not necessarily bitter just mere frustration. I think we can all be a little frustrated. Economy is crappy, the state of IL isn't in good shape.

Comment

I think I can agree with all of you on this topic. While it is definitely frustrating and an "inconvenience" at times to try and get on with a local agency around Chicago, you just have to be patient. Patience is a freakin virtue and it might take 1-2 years to have a shot. I learned that when I first started testing seriously around this time last year. Hell, I waited over a year for a background for one department (still in progress) while another started literally 4 days after my interview.

It's pretty much a crap shoot in Illinois. Where specifically are you testing that the chief has said "We're not hiring right now"? I think I've been to maybe 1 test where the chief has said that. Unless were talking about a tiny place like Spring Grove or Fox Lake.

Comment

As usual, a waste of time typing a post. If you test at 20 joints for $40 per, that's an $800 investment. That NIPSTA Power test is $40 once a year. My kid is doing it on a PT job that pays $9 per hr. Would it be better if all the burbs had a "random lottery" like Chicago does. So no matter how well you do on the test, the guy barely passing gets the job? And Chiguy, Hodgekins said it.

Comment

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
                          How about a chief of police telling you, "If you weren't committed to the army for two weeks in the summer and one weekend a month, I would've hired you yesterday."

Too bad I didn't have a recorder going.
                          Well I guess being a genius isn't necessary to be a chief.

Comment

These towns with police and fire commissions deciding the hiring may be a little bias about who they want to hire. They have that right. But Chicago has a better and fair hiring system.

Comment

Originally posted by mranderson77 View Post
                              These towns with police and fire commissions deciding the hiring may be a little bias about who they want to hire. They have that right. But Chicago has a better and fair hiring system.
                              You obviously have no clue
                              You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6832 users online. 311 members and 6521 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X