300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Governors State University Police

Recently tested for them. Supposed to be sending recruits down to PTI or College of DuPage in September. Seems like a small dept. Besides the vague website info, any insight from anyone?

Originally posted by Challenger_SRT-8 View Post
    Recently tested for them. Supposed to be sending recruits down to PTI or College of DuPage in September. Seems like a small dept. Besides the vague website info, any insight from anyone?
    Looks like a pretty straightforward campus gig; cruise around, look for crime, take reports.

The campus map shows that it's relatively small. Take it into consideration that you'll basically be "trapped" in that little geographic area for many hours on many days.

Comment

they're getting dorms in the next few years and with the train coming from Chicago to the University it will be a sweet gig soon.

Comment

Thanks Mazury. I thought about that. It looks like you can fit 10 GSU's in the Univ I went to. So littleguy, they are getting dorms? Wonder why they would go that route with an upper classman University. I remember wanting to jump out the dorms soon as I could, but yea hopefully they expand to bigger and better...

Comment

It is small and for the last four decades it has been a commuter school that only did JR SR and Masters level classes. They will soon be admitting freshmen and sophs and they also now do doctorates. They are in the process of breaking ground for dorms. It is not a high activity PD but their responsibilities will likely expand with the influx of typical college behavior, an international population, and the impact of communities like University Park and Richton Park. Although they have been around awhile it is like a startup. Don't sell it short!!
          You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Thanks for all the info cityblu. I'm not going to sell it short. Seems like big changes are coming. I defenitly will continue with the process and see what happens....

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
              It is small and for the last four decades it has been a commuter school that only did JR SR and Masters level classes. They will soon be admitting freshmen and sophs and they also now do doctorates. They are in the process of breaking ground for dorms. It is not a high activity PD but their responsibilities will likely expand with the influx of typical college behavior, an international population, and the impact of communities like University Park and Richton Park. Although they have been around awhile it is like a startup. Don't sell it short!!
              Also, a GREAT way to knock out an AFFORDABLE degree while you're starting out. People sleep on the educational benefits of working at a public college in IL. You can go there uncertified with no degree and no police experience and leave with all three.

Comment

All valid points taken into consideration. Some might not want to leave if it's a good fit. Got the email passing the written. Power is week n half away in their gym. Probably gonna be 22 times around if it's small like County's...

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
                  Good looking out cityblue. Those dorms are opening next year and taking 1 immediately and 6 throughout the duration of the list. The guys there seem to be pretty kool people to work with. I don't even think 30 people showed up and several people fail different components. Good opportunity here....

Comment

I went to GSU and graduated with a B.A. in Criminal Justice. I didn't know they hired non-certified.

Comment

I went there and that's news to me too.

Comment

Btw...this is a quality school for cj majors, in my opinion. You could get your Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate, which i believe was mentioned...but worth noting again, while your waiting to be the police. Actually each class had a handful of PO's taking classes to qualify for promotions too. I believe all/most of the professors are highly qualified practitioners in their respective fields (at least 3 Chiefs of Police, 2 upper-level management CCSPOs, 2 Sergeants, 2 lawyers, retired CPD) teach classes there. The school received a major grant to expand just about everything. There is the Center for Performing Arts on campus that hosts alot of events/shows. PO's do alot of traffic related work...it used to be pretty quite out there, but enrollment is up so parking is an issue. Alot of us commuted from the city to be there. Great faculty and police officers there also! Hope this helps give some additional insight.

Comment

Looks like i will be applying when they open up the application process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8195 users online. 345 members and 7850 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X