300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NissanGTR2013
    Enjoy your trip man, your earned and deserve it. I wouldn't give this job up for the world, they are gonna have to pry me away at 63.
    Nissan, I've been paying attention to your posts since day one and you have always had such a super positive attitude. I'm so glad you got your dream come true and I hope it stays that way for you, but take this old lady's advice, put in your years and plan for the "after cop" life and you'll do much better than if they pry you away at 63 and you croak a year later from a lack of purpose, etc. Create an identity for yourself beyond the job or you will lose who you are when it's over...

I'll shut up now...
    Why u asking me? I don't have a clue!! I'm just a know-it-all 'cause I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it!

Comment

Originally posted by NissanGTR2013
      I just try to give the veteran officers as much respect as possible because they earned it. They have been on the job and seen the good and bad on the job so I try to learn from them as much as possible. The veteran officers have taught me what not to do on the job and how to avoid getting yourself jammed up.

Honestly, I have absolutely nothing to complain about on the job. You're talking to a guy that a few years ago was flipping burgers and cleaning toilets working his way threw college. I didn't think any of this was going to happen. I will always remember all the hoops I had to jump threw to get this job, it keeps me humble.

You cannot have this job and be bitter about it for 20+ years. That's not healthy at all. I see guys that are absolutely miserable on this job and I just can't do that. It amazes me how quickly they forgot how hard it is to get the job and all the hoops you have to jump to get on. I enjoy coming in to work everyday, its the best job in the world imo and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm not much of a whiner or complainer, and I am not going to be one of those officers that is going to ride this career out and be bitter for the whole time, its just not who I am as an individual.

I probably will go back to Cook County Sheriff and start a second pension when I retire or I might go to work as a part time adjunct faculty member teaching criminal justice. I will always be in law enforcement, its just really what I love to do.
      I think Chitowndet mentioned that there's no more double dipping as far as the pensions go, that is , you can't have two gov't pensions at once...but in 25 years who knows what the gig will be...
      Why u asking me? I don't have a clue!! I'm just a know-it-all 'cause I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it!

Comment

Right, as of Jan. 2011, can't get a second pension in Illinois. Doesn't make sense if you want to work on one PD for 20 yrs, then work another one for 20 yrs, you SHOULD be able to collect the pensions YOU paid into.

Comment

hey guys! im new to this fourm =). anyways about the CPD Test im ready need this alot! im just waiting for aug. 1st!. anyways just a quick question i dont know if you guys talked about this already, but should i get prepare for the test in DEC. like take classes at these places that offer it?

Comment

Originally posted by warhead9090 View Post
            hey guys! im new to this fourm =). anyways about the CPD Test im ready need this alot! im just waiting for aug. 1st!. anyways just a quick question i dont know if you guys talked about this already, but should i get prepare for the test in DEC. like take classes at these places that offer it?
            No classes..test is a no brainer..keep your nose clean and your body ready for the Power tests
            Last edited by Popspd; 07-16-2013, 09:25 PM.

Comment

When can we expect a hire date ? Say your lottery is #100

Comment

Originally posted by atsteele View Post
                You'd need a crystal ball for the answer to that one...lol

Comment

Ya fair enough. I'm waiting on NYpd and its about 2.5 3. But they're due for some mass retirements.

Comment

Originally posted by atsteele View Post
                    How about you apply first, pass the test and then we can discuss that.

2013 testing process hasn't started yet and there is already 4 pages of bs. Have some patience people.

Comment

well thats good that EVERYONE gets called, but damn really people fail in the power test i work out alot almost 5 days a week and the power test requirments look so simple i guess people work out to late for the power exam. another thing u mention that if u have military background or grad of cps. well im **** out of luck with military background, only got my 60 credits. but really graduate from a chicago public high school. i came from a private high school i thought that would bump me up. hopefully living in a rough neighborhood like little village bumps me up because of my street smarts i guess. i seen ALOT of things that would be helpful if i ever become a cop.

Comment

August 1st yet?...

Comment

Can anyone post a link that shows where they're accepting apps August 1st? I thought they took it down and I can't find it anywhere.

Comment

Originally the link was on the HR page of CPD and it disappeared a week or so ago. Maybe for revisions or maybe to push it down the road a bit. Supposedly at the last Power, they had about 200 pass. More than enough for a few more classes.

Comment

That makes sense. It seems like it's easier to get in CPD than the suburbs, it's like they only take certified people with LEO experience most of the time. For CPD, do all you have to do is survive the backgrounds and psych to get in?

Comment

I see, I knew about the POWER but that part isn't a challenge but I always s lot of people fail it. I guess it just seems easier to get on CPD bc they hire a lot more people. I test in the suburbs and there's 200-600 people all there for 1 spot or no spot at all, I'm sure it is possible to get on one of those departments it's just very tough, as it should be. Thanks for the replies Nissan, it's good to be able to hear from people that have made it through the process. I value you're insight as well as any other LEO that posts on here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4489 users online. 231 members and 4258 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X