Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read an article that says Chicago wants to hire 500 officers in 2013, but that's still not enough.

Comment

It won't be enough for a while. CPD was having between 300-450 retirements a year for the past few. Because Chicago went on this hiring issue for a while. They had plenty of retirements and they didn't hire to replace them, which cost about 1500 positions. On top of that, in 2011 they only hired 45 people (heard that at the Academy), on top of more retirements. CPD will have to hire consistently for the next few years if they event want to make a dent in their manpower issue. Add in a 6-month Academy and you have problems trying to keep up with the shortages on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by NissanGTR2013
        CPD does not care if you have a BA. As long as you meet the minimum requirements, you will be hired pending you pass all the steps required of an applicant. You don't need college to do this job anyway. All you need is these 3 attributes:
        1. Common sense.
        2. You gotta know how to talk to people.
        3. The ability to put your thoughts on paper.

Thats all you need to have a successful career in this line of work. Personally, you're much better off testing for larger agencies because they tend (not always) to hire more officers. Your best bet is to test big, unless you're a good test taker (top 10).

There are agencies in the suburbs that will give you preference points for your BA. Most agencies will give you preference points for a BA in any field or an AA/AS in Criminal Justice or a certain amount of years in the military, it all depends on the particular agency that you're testing with. At CPD a BA holds no water, I know from experience because I have one.
        Theres quite a few people in there who think their BA's or Masters are going to make a difference on the street. I seriously think the academy should have a common sense aand streets smarts course because those degrees arent really helping in the academy. (wink, wink) I think I should make a show about the academy the stupid questions asked in class makes my head hurt. Yeah, your masters degree is really helpful(rolls eyes)
        Last edited by mranderson77; 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mranderson77 View Post
          Theres quite a few people in there who think their BA's or Masters are going to make a difference on the street. I seriously think the academy should have a common sense aand streets smarts course because those degrees arent really helping in the academy. (wink, wink) I think I should make a show about the academy the stupid questions asked in class makes my head hurt. Yeah, your masters degree is really helpful(rolls eyes)
          I fully understand that college won't help you on the street as much as a lot of people think. I only asked to see if having it can make you more competitive when trying to get a job or promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden341 View Post
            It won't be enough for a while. CPD was having between 300-450 retirements a year for the past few. Because Chicago went on this hiring issue for a while. They had plenty of retirements and they didn't hire to replace them, which cost about 1500 positions. On top of that, in 2011 they only hired 45 people (heard that at the Academy), on top of more retirements. CPD will have to hire consistently for the next few years if they event want to make a dent in their manpower issue. Add in a 6-month Academy and you have problems trying to keep up with the shortages on the street.
            Raiden is correct..Chicago had one class split into two in 2011... 2011 A and B hired in Oct 2011, then nothing until June of 2012 so we are majorly behind and will stay that way for a long while due to Baby Boomers retiring for the next 10 years. It's not lucrative to stay on past a certain point and even if you do, mandatory retirements will mean a lot will reach the "magic number" and leave more openings...
            Why u asking me? I don't have a clue!! I'm just a know-it-all 'cause I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it!

Comment

So will this new exam be CPD's new hiring list?

Comment

In theory. It will end up with what happened before the 2010 test. People that were on the prior list who were in debate or still finishing their processes got called before the 2010 testers and that was after the test was given. Once the prior list was "exhausted", then the 2010 testers started. With as many people who were underage at the time, or still finishing their processes, etc. I'm assuming this will be no different.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Hammer1 View Post
                  I fully understand that college won't help you on the street as much as a lot of people think. I only asked to see if having it can make you more competitive when trying to get a job or promotion.
                  Nope. Not here.

Comment

If you want to get points for your BA, apply for the suburbs. There are many suburbs that will give you preference points for your Degree.
                    Name something that suburbs don't accept for preference . . . lol. It gets ridiculous after a while. Their list just turns into a "accept my points" battle. Then they just hire the certified ones anyway (damn near, lol).

Comment

The only thing college will help you with on this job is writing reports. If you want to get points for your BA, apply for the suburbs. There are many suburbs that will give you preference points for your Degree.
                      I have to respectfully disagree with that one from experience. It definitely depends on what your degree is in and even more what your experiences are. Degrees definitely don't help on the street. They can help with reports but you still have to unlearn college writing to write a police report because it is not the same. I have degrees in political science and government administration so I was reading union contracts, personnel manuals, and general orders for police and fire depts before I became the police. All men are not created equal when it comes to interpretating the union contract, when one should file a grievance, when the dept has screwed up your pay and how etc. I'm not saying that you have to go to college to be good at that stuff b/c my old man took some classes here and there but his math skills developed when he worked with the union on the job. He can count percentages and interest rates and all that in his head like crazy. The difference it made for me was I came on the job reading and wanting to learn that stuff immediately which is usually not the case.
                      Don't get me wrong, when they want a guy they will pick that guy but if they want a guy and they want me and we match up on everything else...the degree over none will almost always win out IF the person knows how to use it. When I got on the job, I had to learn to be the police and speak our language. I already knew the administration's language and how they think. It is a influential man that is the working police, and loves the working police, that understands the administration and can speak their language. That allows me to work in cahoots with the administration while my heart and true intentions are for the shift. It's a recipe for good things, unless you're a snake sell out the troops to get ahead type....Okay off my soapbox.
                      Last edited by Joe Snuffy; 07-13-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
                        I have to respectfully disagree with that one from experience. It definitely depends on what your degree is in and even more what your experiences are. Degrees definitely don't help on the street. They can help with reports but you still have to unlearn college writing to write a police report because it is not the same. I have degrees in political science and government administration so I was reading union contracts, personnel manuals, and general orders for police and fire depts before I became the police. All men are not created equal when it comes to interpretating the union contract, when one should file a grievance, when the dept has screwed up your pay and how etc. I'm not saying that you have to go to college to be good at that stuff b/c my old man took some classes here and there but his math skills developed when he worked with the union on the job. He can count percentages and interest rates and all that in his head like crazy. The difference it made for me was I came on the job reading and wanting to learn that stuff immediately which is usually not the case.
                        Don't get me wrong, when they want a guy they will pick that guy but if they want a guy and they want me and we match up on everything else...the degree over none will almost always win out IF the person knows how to use it. When I got on the job, I had to learn to be the police and speak our language. I already knew the administration's language and how they think. It is a influential man that is the working police, and loves the working police, that understands the administration and can speak their language. That allows me to work in cahoots with the administration while my heart and true intentions are for the shift. It's a recipe for good things, unless you're a snake sell out the troops to get ahead type....Okay off my soapbox.
                        I would counter with it wasn't your degree. It was your ability to speak and read the administration's language. If you did not have the degree and had the ability to do what you do, you would still be where you are.

The degree was not the deciding factor, unless of course you are a legal services officer in which a J.D. is a requirement.

You could have an associates degree, be able to speak like you do, and still end up in a spot. No one will say, hey you are great for this spot if only you had a degree. I think THAT is the main point.

Comment

Severe..are you really leaving?
                          Why u asking me? I don't have a clue!! I'm just a know-it-all 'cause I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it!

Comment

Severe is leaving?? Why? :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Popspd View Post
                              Severe..are you really leaving?
                              Keeping my eyes on the prize. Quick trip. Maybe someday in the future. LOL.

Comment

Well, good for you if ya do...no one should wait so long that it cuts into those precious retirement years, regardless of how much more ya might get if ya stay on awhiile...that's a recipe for my hubby's and many other's disasters...get out while the getting is good and you still have lots of living to do...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4554 users online. 251 members and 4303 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X