Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw they announced that on Fox This morning. They are offering classes about the test, you think they'd be worth taking?

Comment

No. The test has to be easy enough where there can't be "discrimination". CPD doesn't need any more hiring lawsuits or BS because people claim its too hard, unfair, etc. It is a pretty basic written exam. I'm pretty sure I could've passed the 2010 exam, drunk and with no sleep, lol.

Comment

^^ I agree..it would be a waste of money to take a "class" in how to test for CPD..the test is a no brainer and beyond that you'd be just as informed about the rest of the process if you looked at a crystal ball.. it changes all the time
        Why u asking me? I don't have a clue!! I'm just a know-it-all 'cause I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it!

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden341 View Post
          No. The test has to be easy enough where there can't be "discrimination". CPD doesn't need any more hiring lawsuits or BS because people claim its too hard, unfair, etc. It is a pretty basic written exam. I'm pretty sure I could've passed the 2010 exam, drunk and with no sleep, lol.
          I figured as much lol, so as someone who has a BA, would I have a good chance at getting hired or is a harder pd to get on then the smaller suburban departments?

Comment

Originally posted by NissanGTR2013
            CPD does not care if you have a BA. As long as you meet the minimum requirements, you will be hired pending you pass all the steps required of an applicant. You don't need college to do this job anyway. All you need is these 3 attributes:
            1. Common sense.
            2. You gotta know how to talk to people.
            3. The ability to put your thoughts on paper.

Thats all you need to have a successful career in this line of work. Personally, you're much better off testing for larger agencies because they tend (not always) to hire more officers. Your best bet is to test big, unless you're a good test taker (top 10).

There are agencies in the suburbs that will give you preference points for your BA. Most agencies will give you preference points for a BA in any field or an AA/AS in Criminal Justice or a certain amount of years in the military, it all depends on the particular agency that you're testing with. At CPD a BA holds no water, I know from experience because I have one.
            Meet minimum requirements, pass all the tests and you are in. That simple. You don't need a B.A. nor is anyone looking for you to be in a spot just because you have one.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere View Post
              Meet minimum requirements, pass all the tests and you are in. That simple. You don't need a B.A. nor is anyone looking for you to be in a spot just because you have one.
              Damn! I thought Chicago along with Rahm Emanuel were going to roll out the red carpet for me, oh well lol.
              Vaya con dios

Comment

When I was protesting outside the mayors home I screamed one term mayor a little louder upen hearing they changed the age requirement from 25 to 18-21. How dare they do a 360 and say 25 yr olds were more mature and had more life experiences. Now thy3 want turn the police academy into a frathouse.

Comment

Disregard.
                  Last edited by Kata80; 08-24-2015, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I can see the "get more applicants" route. But 18 is young. So lets say 18 year olds apply. They get college afterward and finish the 2yr degree or maybe more. Then get hired at 21. You'll have educated, "just out of high school" people running around with a badge and authority with zero work experience telling people how they should handle themselves, lol. As much as I thought the 25 thing was silly at first, it really did make sense.

Comment

That makes sense too and I think that's why most guys that get hired are mid 20's and up, just because the minimum requirements are to be 21 and over doesn't mean 21 year olds really get hired on often.

Comment

21= No lifes experience! Hell most 21 year olds are barely out of mommy and daddys house.

Comment

I agree, when I was a freshman in college (19) I was really disappointed that CPD had a higher required age than all other departments. Now looking back on it, if I got hired, I would have been way to immature. Now being 21 almost 22, and working with 2 departments I feel 22-23 is a good age for me to start a career. I only have 2 speeding tickets from my teens, and a minor in possession of alcohol.

Comment

I think what happened is that this 25 year old trial group didn't produce anymore mature individuals than have previous younger groups, so they decided to toss that requirement.
                            Age isn't always an indicator of maturity and especially in the case of the kind of wisdom that a PO needs. That kind of maturity comes more from upbringing rather than years, so raising the age wouldn't get you better candidates...There are no finer nor more able and mature individuals than those who are in our armed forces, and they are as young as 18
                            Why u asking me? I don't have a clue!! I'm just a know-it-all 'cause I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it!

Comment

How long does the process generally take? 2 years?

Comment

Originally posted by atsteele View Post
                                How long does the process generally take? 2 years?
                                Depends on your randomly assigned lottery number. Lower numbers mean called quicker and faster process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11790 users online. 426 members and 11364 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X