300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East St Louis

Anyone familiar with the department. I know they laid off a couple officers a couple years ago. But I am about to graduate and would like to find a department to work for.

Have you been to East St Louis and driven around the town?
    183 FBINA

Comment

I have not, but at this point getting hired anywhere would be a blessing. I have a less than stellar background (nothing crazy just 2 speeding tickets 4-5 years ago and a recent minor in possession of alcohol.) Bad choice on my part, but I messed up. If I could go back I would but I learned from it. I am now a CSO with 2 depts.

Comment

Before you apply you should spend some time in ESL. Drive every street and look around. Stop by the PD for a visit. Check out the crime stats for the city. Do some research on the city govt paying their employees and maintaining equipment.
        Things have improved some but here's some info for you from the early 90s when we were working cases there - population of the city is about 25000. They had over 400 murders a year. Some of the squad cars did not have functioning radios because the city could not afford to fix them. Fire trucks sat because they did not have tires.
        ESL is one of the most depressed cities in the US. Not just parts of it, the entire city and several cities around it are just like it. Look at the worst sections of KC. The entire city of ESL is worse than that.
        183 FBINA

Comment

Working there would be a bad idea. Your background, while not perfect, doesn't sound that bad. Keep testing and you should be able to get hired somewhere. Find some other job to pay the bills until then. Your resume might actually take a hit if you had East side as your previous employer.

Comment

ESL crime, per capita, is the worst in the country... I'd find another place to get a job. Come do the testing in Chicago here at the end of the year. Or some of the surrounding burbs.

Comment

I wouldn't mind Chicago, but I'm not 25.

Comment

My opinion would be to stay far away from ESL. Among the things ISPCAPT listed, the mayor of one of the surrounding cities was murdered while sitting in his car one night a year or so ago. It looks like escape from New York around there. ESL has so many feral dog packs roaming, discovery channel did a story on it, if that tells you anything...
                "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Comment

Stay away from ESL.. Cahokia or south, Belleville or east, Caseyville or north. Anywhere inside of that circle on the Illinois side is a black hole that you do not want to get sucked into.

Comment

Originally posted by gloc_copper View Post
                    My opinion would be to stay far away from ESL. Among the things ISPCAPT listed, the mayor of one of the surrounding cities was murdered while sitting in his car one night a year or so ago. It looks like escape from New York around there. ESL has so many feral dog packs roaming, discovery channel did a story on it, if that tells you anything...
                    Did they film Dredd there?? You guys are making this place sound like the apocalypse, lol.

Comment

Your chances of being murdered in ESTL are around 1 in 1000 compared to about 1 in 5,500 in Chicago or 1 in 1800 in Detroit. Those numbers don't include all of the other crappy towns around ESTL either. I would put it up against any other dump town or neighborhood in the country.

Comment

City-data has their crime rate listed at 2100 compared to 307 being average U.S. city. In 2011 they had 25 murders listed. The City of Chicago's crime rate is listed around 600. Harvey is 1000. So ESTL must be an amazing city!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I had a free steak for breakfast at a nasty strip joint there once after STL Mardi Gras.. I'll never go back. It does look like a post-apocalyptic town.

Comment

If you are considering ESL.... You might want to also consider Gary, IN. Pretty close to the same thing. At least in Gary you are only 20 minutes from downtown Chicago.

If you like ESL, you will love Gary!
                            SPSC 262

Comment

Hell, even Harveyworld sounds better than that place..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11233 users online. 460 members and 10773 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X