300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got hired!

I never thought the day would come! I just got offered a Police Officer position in the great state of Illinois. I have been testing for years, with a majority of those years in a troubled economy. I am proud of this accomplishment and will listen intently to my instructors and trainers, as well as the seasoned officers on officer.com. I will be a model for the community and serve to the very best of my ability. If anyone has any pre-academy advice I am all ears!

Which academy you going to? Where you hired...you don't have to give exact dept but north suburbs, ect?

Comment

congrats on getting hired.....stay focused and work hard!
      Send me a PM with the agency that you got hired with, I'm interested to see if Im on the list also, for possible movement.

Comment

If you could send me a pm also, im interested if i am on the same list as well. Thanks and good luck on your future career.8

Comment

Congrats....you are not there yet though! The academy is no joke and FTO is no joke!!
          We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

fto and academy sucks but it will be worth it, A helpful hint, know your geography BEFORE you leave the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Inferno93 View Post
              know your geography BEFORE you leave the academy.
              AGREED 100%

Ask your PD for a copy of a map of the town that shows all the streets, and preferably how the town is divided up into beats/zones. Then work on studying and memorizing in whatever way is easiest for you. (For me, it was learning by sections). Also pay attention to how the numerics run in town.

Another good idea is to drive through the town on your off time to get a feel for the town and the layout. Pay attention to key locations like bars, hotels/motels, major businesses, forest preserve areas, major streets and intersections etc.

Its better to have a decent grasp of the town BEFORE you start FTO because you'll have too much other stuff to have to observe, learn and commit to memory during that time. And many FTO's like to use games during FTO period like "Take Me To ______" where they will give you an address or business in town and see if you can get there in the most direct manner without needing their assistance.

Best Advice for FTO AND youre entire probation period: Keep your mouth shut and your ears open.

Comment

CPD Metro academy, I was hired by an agency in the NW suburbs. Thank you for the advice Criminalgrrl, I will for sure study my agency's jurisdiction.

Comment

On another note, without opening up another 400+ page CPD thread, this afternoon I was contacted by Chicago PD in regards to taking the psychological interview, I was in the 6000ish rank range at the time. So if you guys are testing there and are within that range, you should probably expect a call if you haven't had one already.

Comment

Originally posted by Criminalgrrl View Post
                    AGREED 100%

Ask your PD for a copy of a map of the town that shows all the streets, and preferably how the town is divided up into beats/zones. Then work on studying and memorizing in whatever way is easiest for you. (For me, it was learning by sections). Also pay attention to how the numerics run in town.

Another good idea is to drive through the town on your off time to get a feel for the town and the layout. Pay attention to key locations like bars, hotels/motels, major businesses, forest preserve areas, major streets and intersections etc.

Its better to have a decent grasp of the town BEFORE you start FTO because you'll have too much other stuff to have to observe, learn and commit to memory during that time. And many FTO's like to use games during FTO period like "Take Me To ______" where they will give you an address or business in town and see if you can get there in the most direct manner without needing their assistance.

Best Advice for FTO AND youre entire probation period: Keep your mouth shut and your ears open.
                    Jeez, I could SWEAR I've seen this before..

Comment

Don't buy a bunch of extra fancy gear and crap because it's painted black or looks "tacticool"....wait as long as possible and go hands on with different gear after talking to the guys you will be working with. I promise you will change your mind on what works once you're on the street and get into your first fight/chase/tense situation/normal day-to-day patrol. Congrats and have fun!

Comment

So far, I have done the first couple of weeks at CPD Metro. I have to say I am loving my time there! This career is my passion, and I want to dedicate everything I got to becoming a knowledgeable, motivated officer. I actually look forward to studying at the end of the day and enjoy hearing the wealth of knowledge from the Chicago Police Dept. I have to give my hat to the extreme professionalism of CPD, I can see why thousands come from all over the country to attempt to join their ranks. I am honored to train under such high experienced officers. I am also ashamed and sorry that the department gets so much bad coverage in the newspapers!

Comment

Congrats. Illinois is my home state. I plan on going back there when I retire from the Navy and lateraling into a department near my home.

Comment

I totally agree with criminalgrrl geography is key. if you can even get simple/ common streets down before you hit fto it will help. Also, remember you may be in fto but you are out there together and will rely on one another. I never call any officer going through fto a rookie they are my partner. it not only builds camaraderie but it's an officer safety issue.

Comment

After 7 years of testing this journey has finally come to an end. I start my career March 4th! Thank you to everyone who has helped my on this forum. Words can not express the help everyone has given to me here. "Perseverance" is a word I have always lived by my entire life and it just goes to show you if you want something bad enough in life, you can always achieve it. Again Thank you to everyone who supported me over the years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2579 users online. 138 members and 2441 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X