300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
    On the flip there are departments out there who put "anything" in a uniform and swear them in. It's very concerning when the people working with a recruit can clearly see the issues and the department is "in love" and won't extend or terminate them. It's scary because the brass don't need them on a stop, I might.
    Very true. There's two facets to policing. There's the "book smarts" and there's the "street smarts"--IE how to be a cop. One of these two things can be taught, one can't. It's one thing when a dept. cuts someone that would be a liability to the other officers. It's another if it's because of the "book smarts." It just depends on which reason it is. Totally agree with you.

Comment

Anyone hear anything from them?

Comment

Looks like they approved initial list.

Comment

Originally posted by newsti13 View Post
          Looks like they approved initial list.
          Any news on when/where the list will be posted?

Comment

Didnt see anything but i think they will mail it

Comment

Originally posted by newsti13 View Post
              Didnt see anything but i think they will mail it
              Just got mine in the mail

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk10 View Post
                Not to go into details so as I don't give up my sources from the area, but everything said earlier on in this post was spot on. Extremely strict, thorough, and very particular. Something like 1 in 3 cops they hire don't make it through their FTO program. The money isn't worth the hassle.
                I can't speak for Lombard, but I know of several departments with stricter hiring standards and more thorough FTO programs. There are so many variables among departments that will determine happiness -- training, benefits, expectations from the bosses, shift hours. Breaking it down further, you'll experience differences among shifts and the supervisors/coworkers you'll encounter in them. Unless someone has direct knowledge of a department, I wouldn't just apply anywhere and hope to get hired. Someone needs a good working knowledge of what they're getting into, so they're not one of the unlucky ones bounced in FTO training and having that stigma attached to their name.

My unsolicited advice? Apply with CPD. If you have a clean background and are willing to live in Chicago (even by means of renting), you'll be hired. Go through their academy and get certified. All the while, apply with departments you may be interested in lateraling into. You'll immediately be regarded as a better candidate for hire based on the coveted LEO cert. If you're lucky, you'll be picked up quickly. If not, after making through your probationary period you can merely take a leave of absence for another department. It's the perfect fall-back option. After a year of absence, you'll be off probation at the other dept and can make a choice if you'd like to return. If its one of those goofy two year probation places, you can extend your leave with CPD.

I do get what Joe Snuffy and others are saying though. There are of course departments on both ends of the hiring spectrum. I worked for another smaller department before CPD and was happy, but decided to take the chance transferring and do not regret the move one bit. The differences among the two places are huge, and it was from both experiences that I understood the type of officer I wanted to be and the environment (particulary with supervisors) that I worked best in.

Many of you here are looking to get on somewhere, as you're eager to begin your career. I understand that feeling having been there myself. However, if nothing else take the advice of others -- research this department. Take with people, perhaps take a ride a long yourself. It's your career and you should only settle for the best

Comment

Got mine in the mail

Comment

Originally posted by NEC1234 View Post
                    I can't speak for Lombard, but I know of several departments with stricter hiring standards and more thorough FTO programs. There are so many variables among departments that will determine happiness -- training, benefits, expectations from the bosses, shift hours. Breaking it down further, you'll experience differences among shifts and the supervisors/coworkers you'll encounter in them. Unless someone has direct knowledge of a department, I wouldn't just apply anywhere and hope to get hired. Someone needs a good working knowledge of what they're getting into, so they're not one of the unlucky ones bounced in FTO training and having that stigma attached to their name.

My unsolicited advice? Apply with CPD. If you have a clean background and are willing to live in Chicago (even by means of renting), you'll be hired. Go through their academy and get certified. All the while, apply with departments you may be interested in lateraling into. You'll immediately be regarded as a better candidate for hire based on the coveted LEO cert. If you're lucky, you'll be picked up quickly. If not, after making through your probationary period you can merely take a leave of absence for another department. It's the perfect fall-back option. After a year of absence, you'll be off probation at the other dept and can make a choice if you'd like to return. If its one of those goofy two year probation places, you can extend your leave with CPD.

I do get what Joe Snuffy and others are saying though. There are of course departments on both ends of the hiring spectrum. I worked for another smaller department before CPD and was happy, but decided to take the chance transferring and do not regret the move one bit. The differences among the two places are huge, and it was from both experiences that I understood the type of officer I wanted to be and the environment (particulary with supervisors) that I worked best in.

Many of you here are looking to get on somewhere, as you're eager to begin your career. I understand that feeling having been there myself. However, if nothing else take the advice of others -- research this department. Take with people, perhaps take a ride a long yourself. It's your career and you should only settle for the best
                    Boy are you preaching to the choir. There are few things you can ask for at work better than working with a good crew that gets along and knows how to read each others strengths and weaknesses. A crappy day, heck even a crappy supervisor, passes by much faster with a tight knit shift.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7927 users online. 371 members and 7556 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X