X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeVere
    replied
    Originally posted by JG0304 View Post
    I've worked both the jail and street. I'll be the first to tell you, I'm a jail guard at heart but I love being the police. I personally have had both good and bad experiences with cops while at the jail. I remember when my wife was in Cpd academy and her classmates would ask when I'm gonna become the real police. I would just laugh at that. Cause they've obviously never been inside those walls. But I will tell you that there are some cops that could never do the job at the jail. But I know for sure that any jail guard could work the street. Some just might get in trouble more than others.
    My prayers go out to my boy Rico palomino and his family.
    I don't agree. I think most cops could work the jail. They just wouldn't like it very much. I also think most not all C.O.'s can work the street. The real police comments were from recruits who still don't know their asses from a hole in the ground.

They know nothing about policing but yet they know everything about jailing and policing.

Leave a comment:

• ret2991
    replied
    I never had a problem with any PO in any state or county when I was off duty. They always ask me A)Why did I pick that job? B)How do I do it? C)They don't say anything? In my experience off duty I have to be humble. Cops have let me slide. At times I have gotten written. Either way I have never received any 2nd class treatment from cops- police officers

Leave a comment:

• JG0304
    replied
    I've worked both the jail and street. I'll be the first to tell you, I'm a jail guard at heart but I love being the police. I personally have had both good and bad experiences with cops while at the jail. I remember when my wife was in Cpd academy and her classmates would ask when I'm gonna become the real police. I would just laugh at that. Cause they've obviously never been inside those walls. But I will tell you that there are some cops that could never do the job at the jail. But I know for sure that any jail guard could work the street. Some just might get in trouble more than others.
    My prayers go out to my boy Rico palomino and his family.

Leave a comment:

• Jailcop39
    replied
    jeffIL,

I am not worried about a thing. A person can call me whatever they want in regards to this, I'm called much worse almost on a daily basis by those whom I "guard" as you would say. It's only conversation. You say "it is what it is" do you know what it is? I appreciate the brief counseling session on what to worry about and what not to worry about though. Are you going to send me a bill?
    Last edited by Jailcop39; 08-26-2012, 06:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jeffIL
    replied
    Stop worrying about what they call you. You guard prisoners. It is what it is. Life is too short and there are probably a bunch of other things you could worry about. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Jailcop39
    replied
    Yes SeVere I agree with your reply. Normally I don't perceive Jailer comments as negative. But it would depend on the person and tone/context. And you're spot on about the old timers being a bit disgruntled toward Corrections. That is exactly how it is at my place of employment. As far as Cook County is concerned, there is a ton of respect given by those Officers and Deputies. Even CPD has been very professional in my experience.

And I do disagree with your perception of the term "jail guard". I feel that that term is better suited for someone who "guards" an inanminate object. It sounds like it over-simplifies what Corrections Officers do from day to day. If you have held both positions then you know this to be on the contrary. Only a matter of perception though I suppose. We have some C/O's making almost 80,000.00 per year as a base without overtime. They don't care what term is used as long as the money keeps flowing in.....
    Last edited by Jailcop39; 08-26-2012, 06:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SeVere
    replied
    Originally posted by Jailcop39 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I know that there probably many threads about this very same topic but I thought I would take another look at this and see what others think. There are some Police and Sheriff's Offices here in Illinois that have certain respect "Issues" with Corrections Officers. My experience with Patrol has been overwelmingly good in the limited off-duty contact I have had. On duty it is even better. However there are those few instances in which patrol may have issues with Corrections not being "Real cops", or not "Real Law Enforcement", etc. I am a Certified sworn County Corrections Officer and know that I am not a Police Officer. I am not certified as a Police Officer nor do I attempt to come accross as one. My scope of duties is restricted to inside the "walls" while on duty. Proud of my position, I wouldn't dream of pretending to make arrests or anything else outside the parameters of my commission. But there are some road patrol Officers that seem to not have the respect for Corrections Officers that they should. Terms shuch as "Jailer", "Rent a cop", "Wanna be", etc are all insulting and downright unprofessional. The Federal governmet mandates that there are County Jails in existance but not necessarily Patrol on the County level. That said, It appears that Corrections Officers have a very valuable and equal part of the Law Enforcement team. There of course are exceptions on all sides but for the most part if you give respect, you should get it in return. I do not know first hand what it is like on the streets as a patrol Officer. Most Patrol Officers do not know what it's like locked in with the less desireables on a constant basis. So, I would invite any Road Officer who may have issues with Corrections Officers and the actual job duties that we have from day to day, to come into my facility with me and and let the doors lock behind us. I will also agree to come along on a patrol shift as well. I do not expect professional courtesy if and when I should get pulled over for a traffic violation etc..but the Patrol Officers should not expect extra professional courtesy when arriving at the Jail. I.E. "get us in first", "hurry up and take custody of this arrestee", "Fixing incorrect charges", "covering them on an improper pat down where contraband is found." And so on....Please accept this banter as friendly and feel free to respond with your thoughts.
    Jailer is not unprofessional. There are parts of the country where Jailer is a job title. I can't agree with you on that one. Jail Guard as much as C.O.'s don't like it is also not unprofessional. Sort of like saying call the cops, opposed to call the police officers.

Having done both, I will go to say that corrections sometimes has a chip on their shoulders due to false perceptions rather than Patrol having issues with corrections. The worst offenders of disrespect to Corrections officers especially in Cook County, comes from their own department's Police Officers.

Some Sheriff's Police have a feeling that they made it and somehow are better than those who are not Sheriff's Police.

I have also been treated a bit disrespectful by some patrol officers when I worked for the jail, but by and large the guys who looked down on Correctional Officers were old timers. Chicago has so many people that came from county that I really do not think there is much of any kind of disrespect for Cook County.

But ask Cook County about that same issue and they tend to sometimes imagine slights that really aren't there. For example saying someone is a guard at the jail does not mean they disrespect you, but saying to them You are "Just" a jail guard is disrespectful.

Leave a comment:

• Jailcop39
    started a topic Police Officers and Corrections Officers

Police Officers and Corrections Officers

Hello everyone,

I know that there probably many threads about this very same topic but I thought I would take another look at this and see what others think. There are some Police and Sheriff's Offices here in Illinois that have certain respect "Issues" with Corrections Officers. My experience with Patrol has been overwelmingly good in the limited off-duty contact I have had. On duty it is even better. However there are those few instances in which patrol may have issues with Corrections not being "Real cops", or not "Real Law Enforcement", etc. I am a Certified sworn County Corrections Officer and know that I am not a Police Officer. I am not certified as a Police Officer nor do I attempt to come accross as one. My scope of duties is restricted to inside the "walls" while on duty. Proud of my position, I wouldn't dream of pretending to make arrests or anything else outside the parameters of my commission. But there are some road patrol Officers that seem to not have the respect for Corrections Officers that they should. Terms shuch as "Jailer", "Rent a cop", "Wanna be", etc are all insulting and downright unprofessional. The Federal governmet mandates that there are County Jails in existance but not necessarily Patrol on the County level. That said, It appears that Corrections Officers have a very valuable and equal part of the Law Enforcement team. There of course are exceptions on all sides but for the most part if you give respect, you should get it in return. I do not know first hand what it is like on the streets as a patrol Officer. Most Patrol Officers do not know what it's like locked in with the less desireables on a constant basis. So, I would invite any Road Officer who may have issues with Corrections Officers and the actual job duties that we have from day to day, to come into my facility with me and and let the doors lock behind us. I will also agree to come along on a patrol shift as well. I do not expect professional courtesy if and when I should get pulled over for a traffic violation etc..but the Patrol Officers should not expect extra professional courtesy when arriving at the Jail. I.E. "get us in first", "hurry up and take custody of this arrestee", "Fixing incorrect charges", "covering them on an improper pat down where contraband is found." And so on....Please accept this banter as friendly and feel free to respond with your thoughts.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6989 users online. 384 members and 6605 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X