Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Officers and Corrections Officers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Police Officers and Corrections Officers

    Hello everyone,

    I know that there probably many threads about this very same topic but I thought I would take another look at this and see what others think. There are some Police and Sheriff's Offices here in Illinois that have certain respect "Issues" with Corrections Officers. My experience with Patrol has been overwelmingly good in the limited off-duty contact I have had. On duty it is even better. However there are those few instances in which patrol may have issues with Corrections not being "Real cops", or not "Real Law Enforcement", etc. I am a Certified sworn County Corrections Officer and know that I am not a Police Officer. I am not certified as a Police Officer nor do I attempt to come accross as one. My scope of duties is restricted to inside the "walls" while on duty. Proud of my position, I wouldn't dream of pretending to make arrests or anything else outside the parameters of my commission. But there are some road patrol Officers that seem to not have the respect for Corrections Officers that they should. Terms shuch as "Jailer", "Rent a cop", "Wanna be", etc are all insulting and downright unprofessional. The Federal governmet mandates that there are County Jails in existance but not necessarily Patrol on the County level. That said, It appears that Corrections Officers have a very valuable and equal part of the Law Enforcement team. There of course are exceptions on all sides but for the most part if you give respect, you should get it in return. I do not know first hand what it is like on the streets as a patrol Officer. Most Patrol Officers do not know what it's like locked in with the less desireables on a constant basis. So, I would invite any Road Officer who may have issues with Corrections Officers and the actual job duties that we have from day to day, to come into my facility with me and and let the doors lock behind us. I will also agree to come along on a patrol shift as well. I do not expect professional courtesy if and when I should get pulled over for a traffic violation etc..but the Patrol Officers should not expect extra professional courtesy when arriving at the Jail. I.E. "get us in first", "hurry up and take custody of this arrestee", "Fixing incorrect charges", "covering them on an improper pat down where contraband is found." And so on....Please accept this banter as friendly and feel free to respond with your thoughts.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jailcop39 View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I know that there probably many threads about this very same topic but I thought I would take another look at this and see what others think. There are some Police and Sheriff's Offices here in Illinois that have certain respect "Issues" with Corrections Officers. My experience with Patrol has been overwelmingly good in the limited off-duty contact I have had. On duty it is even better. However there are those few instances in which patrol may have issues with Corrections not being "Real cops", or not "Real Law Enforcement", etc. I am a Certified sworn County Corrections Officer and know that I am not a Police Officer. I am not certified as a Police Officer nor do I attempt to come accross as one. My scope of duties is restricted to inside the "walls" while on duty. Proud of my position, I wouldn't dream of pretending to make arrests or anything else outside the parameters of my commission. But there are some road patrol Officers that seem to not have the respect for Corrections Officers that they should. Terms shuch as "Jailer", "Rent a cop", "Wanna be", etc are all insulting and downright unprofessional. The Federal governmet mandates that there are County Jails in existance but not necessarily Patrol on the County level. That said, It appears that Corrections Officers have a very valuable and equal part of the Law Enforcement team. There of course are exceptions on all sides but for the most part if you give respect, you should get it in return. I do not know first hand what it is like on the streets as a patrol Officer. Most Patrol Officers do not know what it's like locked in with the less desireables on a constant basis. So, I would invite any Road Officer who may have issues with Corrections Officers and the actual job duties that we have from day to day, to come into my facility with me and and let the doors lock behind us. I will also agree to come along on a patrol shift as well. I do not expect professional courtesy if and when I should get pulled over for a traffic violation etc..but the Patrol Officers should not expect extra professional courtesy when arriving at the Jail. I.E. "get us in first", "hurry up and take custody of this arrestee", "Fixing incorrect charges", "covering them on an improper pat down where contraband is found." And so on....Please accept this banter as friendly and feel free to respond with your thoughts.
    Jailer is not unprofessional. There are parts of the country where Jailer is a job title. I can't agree with you on that one. Jail Guard as much as C.O.'s don't like it is also not unprofessional. Sort of like saying call the cops, opposed to call the police officers.

    Having done both, I will go to say that corrections sometimes has a chip on their shoulders due to false perceptions rather than Patrol having issues with corrections. The worst offenders of disrespect to Corrections officers especially in Cook County, comes from their own department's Police Officers.

    Some Sheriff's Police have a feeling that they made it and somehow are better than those who are not Sheriff's Police.

    I have also been treated a bit disrespectful by some patrol officers when I worked for the jail, but by and large the guys who looked down on Correctional Officers were old timers. Chicago has so many people that came from county that I really do not think there is much of any kind of disrespect for Cook County.

    But ask Cook County about that same issue and they tend to sometimes imagine slights that really aren't there. For example saying someone is a guard at the jail does not mean they disrespect you, but saying to them You are "Just" a jail guard is disrespectful.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes SeVere I agree with your reply. Normally I don't perceive Jailer comments as negative. But it would depend on the person and tone/context. And you're spot on about the old timers being a bit disgruntled toward Corrections. That is exactly how it is at my place of employment. As far as Cook County is concerned, there is a ton of respect given by those Officers and Deputies. Even CPD has been very professional in my experience.

      And I do disagree with your perception of the term "jail guard". I feel that that term is better suited for someone who "guards" an inanminate object. It sounds like it over-simplifies what Corrections Officers do from day to day. If you have held both positions then you know this to be on the contrary. Only a matter of perception though I suppose. We have some C/O's making almost 80,000.00 per year as a base without overtime. They don't care what term is used as long as the money keeps flowing in.....
      Last edited by Jailcop39; 08-26-2012, 06:24 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Stop worrying about what they call you. You guard prisoners. It is what it is. Life is too short and there are probably a bunch of other things you could worry about. Don't sweat the small stuff.
        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

        "Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

        Comment


        • #5
          jeffIL,

          I am not worried about a thing. A person can call me whatever they want in regards to this, I'm called much worse almost on a daily basis by those whom I "guard" as you would say. It's only conversation. You say "it is what it is" do you know what it is? I appreciate the brief counseling session on what to worry about and what not to worry about though. Are you going to send me a bill?
          Last edited by Jailcop39; 08-26-2012, 06:42 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I've worked both the jail and street. I'll be the first to tell you, I'm a jail guard at heart but I love being the police. I personally have had both good and bad experiences with cops while at the jail. I remember when my wife was in Cpd academy and her classmates would ask when I'm gonna become the real police. I would just laugh at that. Cause they've obviously never been inside those walls. But I will tell you that there are some cops that could never do the job at the jail. But I know for sure that any jail guard could work the street. Some just might get in trouble more than others.
            My prayers go out to my boy Rico palomino and his family.

            Comment


            • #7
              I never had a problem with any PO in any state or county when I was off duty. They always ask me A)Why did I pick that job? B)How do I do it? C)They don't say anything? In my experience off duty I have to be humble. Cops have let me slide. At times I have gotten written. Either way I have never received any 2nd class treatment from cops- police officers

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JG0304 View Post
                I've worked both the jail and street. I'll be the first to tell you, I'm a jail guard at heart but I love being the police. I personally have had both good and bad experiences with cops while at the jail. I remember when my wife was in Cpd academy and her classmates would ask when I'm gonna become the real police. I would just laugh at that. Cause they've obviously never been inside those walls. But I will tell you that there are some cops that could never do the job at the jail. But I know for sure that any jail guard could work the street. Some just might get in trouble more than others.
                My prayers go out to my boy Rico palomino and his family.
                I don't agree. I think most cops could work the jail. They just wouldn't like it very much. I also think most not all C.O.'s can work the street. The real police comments were from recruits who still don't know their asses from a hole in the ground.

                They know nothing about policing but yet they know everything about jailing and policing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't have a problem with COs. Theirs is a tough job.

                  I have noticed something though, most notably in Cook County. I have seen so many Cook County COs driving in their personal cars or going into businesses in their full uniform without wearing a jersey or jacket to cover their shirt/patches. I think this is stupid and extremely dangerous for any CO or Patrol Officer to do.
                  I've even had a few calls on duty where a CO was involved in something (road rage, disturbance whatever) where both stories on each side differ and then we are stuck in the middle or possibly face the accusation of siding with the CO simply bc they are a CO or the ever famous complaint of "the thin blue sticking together and covering up for eachother" line.

                  I have had some officers in intake give me a little attitude sometimes when there is a small error with paperwork or there is a paper missing, but it doesn't really bother me...I'm sure it gets frustrating when you see the same errors come in from road guys one after the other and afterall, what's needed seems to change so often and there's differences on what you need pending on what day of the week and which location you're transporting the person to that it's hard to keep it all straight. Luckily I don't have to worry much about doing transports anymore.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Criminalgrrl View Post
                    I don't have a problem with COs. Theirs is a tough job.

                    I have noticed something though, most notably in Cook County. I have seen so many Cook County COs driving in their personal cars or going into businesses in their full uniform without wearing a jersey or jacket to cover their shirt/patches. I think this is stupid and extremely dangerous for any CO or Patrol Officer to do.
                    I've even had a few calls on duty where a CO was involved in something (road rage, disturbance whatever) where both stories on each side differ and then we are stuck in the middle or possibly face the accusation of siding with the CO simply bc they are a CO or the ever famous complaint of "the thin blue sticking together and covering up for eachother" line.

                    I have had some officers in intake give me a little attitude sometimes when there is a small error with paperwork or there is a paper missing, but it doesn't really bother me...I'm sure it gets frustrating when you see the same errors come in from road guys one after the other and afterall, what's needed seems to change so often and there's differences on what you need pending on what day of the week and which location you're transporting the person to that it's hard to keep it all straight. Luckily I don't have to worry much about doing transports anymore.
                    It was Cook County's GO's that required them to either wear uniform or not wear uniform. No parts and no coverages were allowed. They could get written up just for wearing a cover over their shirts.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SeVere View Post
                      It was Cook County's GO's that required them to either wear uniform or not wear uniform. No parts and no coverages were allowed. They could get written up just for wearing a cover over their shirts.
                      I didn't know that. Even just wearing the pants with a plain regular shirt is a no-no?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Criminalgrrl View Post
                        I didn't know that. Even just wearing the pants with a plain regular shirt is a no-no?
                        When I was there yes. I don't know if it changed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SeVere View Post
                          I don't agree. I think most cops could work the jail. They just wouldn't like it very much. I also think most not all C.O.'s can work the street. The real police comments were from recruits who still don't know their asses from a hole in the ground.

                          They know nothing about policing but yet they know everything about jailing and policing.
                          The comment about all CO's working the street was a joke. I know some couldn't work the street cause they would be handing out street justice on a regular basis.

                          Also I've had Chicago guys make comments about real police while we were assisting on calls. And Chicago units give attitudes while in their district looking for offenders.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I enjoy all of the feedback and perceptions displayed here. There is a lot of excellent valuable opinions out there. I too do my best to be humble out on the street because I indeed have been given a break or two. Plus it's the POs turf. If a Corrections Officer was say around 40 yrs old, where might he apply to go to the road? Given I have aged out of most municipalities. Some solid suggestions on where to consider would be appreciated. Sheriff's Offices? Different states? I don't have political connections or anything either. But if someone out there does, hook a Jailer up! Lol

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JG0304 View Post
                              The comment about all CO's working the street was a joke. I know some couldn't work the street cause they would be handing out street justice on a regular basis.

                              Also I've had Chicago guys make comments about real police while we were assisting on calls. And Chicago units give attitudes while in their district looking for offenders.
                              If Chicago Police make that comment it is usually in the context where someone from County wants Chicago to do something that the Chicago Police think the county should be doing. I know that they do not like handling things like arrests for county when they think they should just do it themselves. It is as if, hey if you were the real police you wouldn't need me to process this for you.

                              I have had county assist us before and it was appreciated. I suppose it's whether or not the Chicago people think that you are just sticking your nose into something or whether your assistance is truly needed like it was in my case.

                              Some people are just strokes, you can't help that.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 10949 users online. 516 members and 10433 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X