300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPD POWER Test

Ok, all the newbies that are here to ask questions about the POWER test and don't want to do the research themselves...

1. Sit and reach....practice this. Not a big deal.

2. Sit-ups...go all the way down (shoulder blades need to touch the ground), all the way up. There will be someone holding your ankles and that is all. Make sure your hands stay put behind your head and fingers stay interlocked, they do watch for this.

3. Bench press...this will either be done on a machine or free weights..so be prepared for either one.

4. 1.5 mile run....this will be 4 laps around the building...yes, outside.

I have seen several people that fail steps 3 and 4. If you work out on a regular and have practiced all of the above to great lengths...you should not have a problem.
    You have had plenty of time to prepare for this....so GOOD LUCK!
    "Visualize what you want out of life and think big. Don’t feel undeserving. We're all deserving of living our dreams—some of us realize it and some don't. You’re not doing anyone any favors by living small. Embrace these truths and step up. The world is waiting." –Jillian Michaels

Originally posted by Finley78 View Post
    Ok, all the newbies that are here to ask questions about the POWER test and don't want to do the research themselves...

1. Sit and reach....practice this. Not a big deal.

2. Sit-ups...go all the way down (shoulder blades need to touch the ground), all the way up. There will be someone holding your ankles and that is all. Make sure your hands stay put behind your head and fingers stay interlocked, they do watch for this.

3. Bench press...this will either be done on a machine or free weights..so be prepared for either one.

4. 1.5 mile run....this will be 4 laps around the building...yes, outside.

I have seen several people that fail steps 3 and 4. If you work out on a regular and have practiced all of the above to great lengths...you should not have a problem.
    You have had plenty of time to prepare for this....so GOOD LUCK!
    What do you wanna bet you're gonna get questions about the very same things you've addressed in this post? lol... Applicants can't absorb written material...their minds mull over the test without any knowledge of the actual scenario so, no matter how much information they have they can't process it...it's all nerves...but GOOD TRY, Finn!
    Why u asking me? I don't have a clue!! I'm just a know-it-all 'cause I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it!

Comment

I hear ya, I'm just trying to be helpful.
      Whether they use this info or not..it is what it is.
      "Visualize what you want out of life and think big. Don’t feel undeserving. We're all deserving of living our dreams—some of us realize it and some don't. You’re not doing anyone any favors by living small. Embrace these truths and step up. The world is waiting." –Jillian Michaels

Comment

It will be mainly first timers. They are nervous an anxious because they probably are putting their eggs all in one basket. Every power test is looked at differently but all require mainly the same types of test. If they would focus on achieving EXACTLY what their minimum is , than how its done and what its done on, etc shouldnt even matter. If their worried about simple stuff like that, and not getting in the best condition possible than other things will be a problem

Comment

I always tell people to do bench on free weights. When you use free weights, you are working several muscle groups, you are working your stabilizers, you are used to the motion, etc. by using a machine, you are just pushing the weight on a track. You are not using stabilizers, the motion is set and guided, and the weight is dispersed differently. If you can bench on free weights, you can do the machine EASILY, however, it does not work that way vice-versa. Only benching on a machine, will make it harder on you when free weights come along.

I can't tell you the amount of people I have seen attempt to bench, and freak out cause they can't. Then they always say "but I did this yesterday" and you find out it was machine.

Comment

A few years back, I bought a cheap bench set from Sears, spent about $100.
            It's amazing.
            The bar doesn't weigh a thing...it's pure weight on it...and that's all I'm benching on.
            Then when I get to a machine..it feels like I'm benching 10lbs.

Comment

Exactly. Just like running on atreadmill. People train on that an then get to the test an fail because they cant pass the run. It is a very very big difference. I use a treadmill only to warm up. My runs haveto be Done outside

Comment

you can get weight sets on craigs list for next to nothing. people buy those things and never use them. ****s so cash. i got a big bench with 200lbs in weights then i found another guy who was just giving weights away so i got another 100lbs from him. its not like i can bench 300lbs but its just that easy.

Comment

bump....

Comment

hands only on feet for sit ups or can they put their knees on your feet?

Comment

Originally posted by USMCSNIPER View Post
                      Exactly. Just like running on atreadmill. People train on that an then get to the test an fail because they cant pass the run. It is a very very big difference. I use a treadmill only to warm up. My runs haveto be Done outside
                      I practice on a treadmill and just run a little longer and I have had no problems with other PD's PT. it's different for other people and all depends on what your use to.

Comment

Originally posted by roy1980 View Post
                        hands only on feet for sit ups or can they put their knees on your feet?
                        Can be whatever your comfortable with. At least from past experiences with other PDs

Comment

Its all personal preference on how one prepares for these tests

Comment

Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Dumbbell flys? Why wouldn't you dumbbell press? Two different motions. Flys are a good finisher though. But the long and the short of it is, if anyone struggles with the 1 rep bench, you are extremely weak. Now some of the chubby or obese women that have problems I understand if they can't put up 120 lbs. but there should be no man that can't easily do 200 lbs+. The run is also mental in my opinion if you haven't trained up to it. I'm almost 40 years old, HATE running with a passion, have had 2 knee surgeries and have back issue, my main focus is weight lifting and weigh 240 lbs. (muscular, not fat) and make the run in 12.5 minutes. If any 25 year old in good health can't pass this they should be publicly caned in the street. Ha
                              www.saveavet.org

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10849 users online. 446 members and 10403 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X