300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISP "Local" Academy

Has anyone been through the ISP academy? Is it any different than the Cadet academy for ISP Troopers? With the closing of PTI, I am just trying to some info on the other academies in the state. Here in Central IL it seems most of the departments sent guys to PTI, but now ISP will be the go-to at least for the time being. BTW, I tried searching, but couldn't find any info... I apologize if it has been covered before. Thank you!

Southwestern Police Academy in Belleville is primarily used by depts way south, you Cook County Sheriffs Police Academy at Triton, you have Suburban Law Enforcement Academy in Glen Ellyn at College of Dupage seems to be a poplular choice lately for departments, ISP in Springfield, Metro academy in Chicago, you can even go to the Illinois Training and Standards Boards Website and get dates of academies and also these academies have their own website with information, Southwestern Police Academy site seems to have the most info and offer an Intern Program where you can self sponsor and pay for your academy but id warn you its really hard to get in and its almost by St Louis

Comment

Thanks for the info ochave000. I am familiar with the other academies in IL, just kinda looking for personal experiences from the ISP academy.

Perhaps I should have given a little more background on my inquiry. The department I am in process with (should hear in May whether its a go) was planning on PTI. I have lots of friends that have been through PTI, so I got the first-hand reviews from them.

I don't know anyone that has been through the ISP academy, other than a retired trooper who went through 30 years ago. The obvious 2nd choice for Central IL agencies is ISP due to proximity. Belleville is a 3.5hr ride and Chicagoland academies would be about the same. ISP is only 1.5 hrs.

From what I have gathered the ISP academy is more like bootcamp than an academic setting. My question is, do they run the program the same for local agency certification as they do ISP troopers? My questions come just purely out of curiosity at this point.

I have not been hired yet and I'm not holding my breath either but preparation is the key to success. I want to be both mentally and physically prepared. In a para-military setting, I think it will take a different attitude than an academic setting. I could be wrong, that happened once before . That is why I am asking questions to those that have been there. Again, Thank you all for your time.

Comment

The course curriculum is different for the local recruits compared to ISP cadets. It's not a college dorm type atmosphere tho. It's run a lot stricter than what's run at the colleges. PFIT is mandatory pass. People have been let go at the academy for non-performance.
        183 FBINA

Comment

Yes the ISP academy is run like a boot camp. You will stand at attention, square your corners, have set lights on, lights out times. (5:30 a.m. and 10 p.m.) It is somewhat similar in the basics of what you learn, but the "Recruits" as you will be called have a much more condensed, learning and classroom schedule. Recruits go for 12 weeks, Cadets (ISP Troopers) at the academy for 25-26 weeks.

Comment

I've been through the local academy and we did have recruits drop out because of the difficulty. the main diffference that i remember was that the troopers told us we have lee way in our academic scores where cadets will get cut for their grades without hesitation.

looking back at the hell we went through, it was worth it... i'd go back in a heart beat if i could, it was a great time with plenty of memories and funny stories. man do they mess with your minds! other departments that i went through with were... west chicago, lake county sheriff, mchenry country conservation, mclean county sheriff and illinois state university police.

the only issue that came from graduating from the state was that i came out of there a cocky hardass without emotion. also i didnt call for back up for most stops, cause in the academy your back up is 15-30min away so you deal with it yourself. the state academy is a life changing experience and i give props to all the troopers out there.

to give you an idea on the physical ed, i came in running a 11:45 mile and a half, on the final test i ran a 9:40. i lost 15lbs and for the first time in my life i had abs. Go trooper clark! that mans a machine.
            Last edited by axelfoley4; 03-27-2012, 12:00 AM.
            Alex: You do what you are Jezzie.

Jezzie: You mean you are what you do.

Alex: No, I mean, you do what you are. You're born with a gift. If not that, then you get good at something along the way. And what you're good at, you don't take for granted. You don't betray it.

Jezzie: What if you do, betray your gift?

Alex: Then you betray yourself. That's a sad thing.

Comment

I graduated from the ISP academy (480-22). It's a very serious academy to say the least. You will be in the best shape of your life when you graduate, you will learn to make proper folds on your bed, learn to eat fast, learn to not show a personel face...if you want the job bad enough you will survive the academy. Tpr. Clark was my biggest fear in the academy..lol
              We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

I also graduated ISP as a recruit. It's definitely intense and tougher than the other "local" academies, but it's all for a reason and I felt it was worth it in the end. It sucks while you are there, but your glad you received that kind of training when your out on the streets.

Comment

Call me a masochist, but I wish I could have gone through the ISP Academy. I went through another academy, and while it was good training, in nearly ALL the scenarios you had a partner or backup. Now on the street, I'm having to learn how to do things 10-99 on my own. I would have preferred to learn it the opposite way.

Also, the level of fitness and discipline required in our academy was low.

I have much respect for the Troopers out there.

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for the responses. Exactly the kind of info I was trying to gain. I "thought" it would be more difficult, and it seems that is the case. I am not opposed to the increased challenge if I end up there. No goal is worth achieving if it comes easy. I guess I just keep working out, trying to be in the best shape I can be. Hopefully it all works out, if not... I keep trying. Thanks again!

Comment

Just remember, its all designed to help you. Even the yelling and lean and rest. Keep that in perspective and you will do fine.

Comment

Currently in recruit class 480-23. I graduate tomorrow. ask me any question you want and I'll try my best to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by nzayed89 View Post
                          Currently in recruit class 480-23. I graduate tomorrow. ask me any question you want and I'll try my best to answer.
                          How's the toilet paper?
                          We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by 300Busa View Post
                            How's the toilet paper?
                            Although plentiful, often a pain in the a**.

Comment

The academics at ISP are rather poor, and in fact you'll spend most of your day worrying about your barracks, hoping you made your bed right, and trying to memorize proper commands for drill and PT. You will get in shape, you will learn discipline, but you won't learn much law or actual police-related material. Most of that will come in your field training program at your department. Another drawback is that most of the teaching is geared toward state police mechanics, which of course you will likely not follow as a local police officer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9017 users online. 446 members and 8571 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X