Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they do hire anyone it will be from the laid off people. They have already brought 3 of them back. My friend works there and said if they hire anyone, it is the rest of the laid of officers. The morale there is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by livewire1 View Post
      If they do hire anyone it will be from the laid off people. They have already brought 3 of them back. My friend works there and said if they hire anyone, it is the rest of the laid of officers. The morale there is terrible.
      I've also heard morale isn't the best there but officers for the most part like their jobs. Some officers aren't happy with what the chief is deciding to do with the dept's money and resources, plus the obvious layoff situation can't help. With that said though, I think it COULD be a great place to work once a few things are worked out with that city. Always heard good things about them til maybe 2 years ago when budget started becoming a problem. Not so much the same story with North Chicago however, who also just tested...they've been on a constant decline for years on end.
      Last edited by Chiguy27; 05-13-2012, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Pci is garbage.
        "Believe half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear"

Comment

The mayor hates the police. If I can remember correctly, his dad laid off the ENTIRE department and the state police had to take over.

Comment

Nissan, how did your interview go?

Comment

Originally posted by NissanGTR2012
              It went pretty well. I was shocked at how easy the questions they were asking me were. Hopefully will get the call soon but they have to bring back the laid off officers back first which is fair and understandable and il just wait it out. How did yours go?
              It went well, I think all interviews should be conducted like that. They actually got a chance to know who I am, not what I would do in certain scenarios. I was told by one of the commissioners that they were finally hiring and that they were going to send the new hires to the College of Dupage Academy in July. That they were told to push the hiring process that normally takes them 6 months and do it in 3 months, to make the July deadline. He did not tell me how many they were looking to send, but it sounded like more than one. He told me that the town did not want to take advantage of the grants that were available to them for new hires the last couple of years, until now.

Comment

The grants are for new hires only. This means the goverment will pay for the new entrance level officers. So the hiring will not impact you as much as you think.

Comment

The Fed grants will also pay to bring back laid off Officers. Don't for a second think that they will hire new people without bringing laiyoffs back.

Comment

If its a COPS grant from the feds they have new guidelines. The grant money has to be used to hire vets

Comment

No, the COPS grants are not intended only to hire vets, that would be discrimination based on a status. It is said that they need to hire a precentage of vets, NOT ALL VETS!

Comment

Here is what I read on the USDOJ website. Maybe I am reading it wrong. I highlighted the part I am refering to. It also says that the grant can be used to rehire laid off officers.

The Fiscal Year 2012 COPS Hiring Program (CHP) is now closed. Approximately $111 million in grant funding will be awarded later in FY 2012 for the hiring and rehiring of additional career
                        law enforcement officers in an effort to create and preserve jobs and increase grantee community policing capacity and crime prevention efforts.
                        Several important changes have been made to CHP this fiscal year.
                        • 2012 CHP grants will cover up to 75 percent of the approved entry-level salary and benefits for three years (36 months) for newly hired, full-time sworn officer positions (including filling existing unfunded vacancies) or for rehired officers who have been laid off, or are scheduled to be laid off on a specific future date, as a result of local budget cuts. A minimum 25 percent local cash match is therefore required this year. Under 2012 CHP, there is also a maximum federal contribution of $125,000 per position over the three-year grant period.
                        • Agencies will have an opportunity during the application update process to request a waiver of the local match requirement based on documented severe fiscal distress. Funding for 2012 CHP is limited, and requests for local match waivers will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
                        • Another important change this year is that if your agency is awarded funding for a new hire, the newly hired officer must be a military veteran who served on active duty for a period of at least 180 days, any part of which occurred on or after September 11, 2001.
                        • Agencies may request to rehire officers laid off by any jurisdiction as a result of state, local, or Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) budget reductions unrelated to the receipt of grant funding.
                        In addition to the above-referenced changes, applicants must retain all sworn officer positions awarded under the CHP grant with state and/or local funds for a minimum of 12 months following the conclusion of the three-year grant period. Applicants must also use awarded CHP funding to supplement (increase) state, local, and/or Bureau of Indian Affairs funds that otherwise would have been dedicated to sworn officer positions in the absence of the grant.
                        The COPS Office will continue to update our website and provide applicants with information and resources that will help enhance the community policing efforts in their communities.

Comment

Okay, you are correct; however, COPS grants from the previous years that many cities have not used are still used in the manner I stated above. The 2012 COPS grant is completly different then the previous grants of the years before.

Comment

No harm, no foul

Comment

My bad doc!

Comment

Has anyone heard anything since the interviews?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10768 users online. 515 members and 10253 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X