300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Chicago

The last thread on North Chicago is at least 3 years out of date so I figured I'd make a new one. They have an opening on the city website as well as blueline and I applied. They've been in the news lately though.

Anyone have any current info on the department? Testing process, what academy new recruits attend, morale, stuff like that.

Thanks all!

Just saw the app go live last night, I'm going to try it out. Don't know much about the department, but I know the city is by NAVSTA Great Lakes, last time I was up there the surrounding areas were looking kinda shady. JMHO of the area.

Comment

Read the news? Bunch of problems canned the police chief, brought the retired lake forest pd chief in he quit 1 week into it, I hear there are pending disciplinary issues low morale and a lot of the Waukegan police officers laid off probably will be applying

Comment

Originally posted by ochave000 View Post
        Read the news? Bunch of problems canned the police chief, brought the retired lake forest pd chief in he quit 1 week into it, I hear there are pending disciplinary issues low morale and a lot of the Waukegan police officers laid off probably will be applying
        Thanks. I know they have their "share" (probably more than they need) of issues based on what I've read in the news the past few months. I was mainly interested in what the morale is (apparently low) regardless of what has been in the news. Pay doesn't look too bad though might as well give it a try, right now a job is a job.

Comment

Illinois certification is Illinois certification

Comment

Went there a night on my ISP internship and it was....one of the more interesting nights I had haha. It seemed like they had A LOT of regulars....more than other depts I've rode with anyway. Unfortunately, didn't have much interaction with the officer's, so I can't speak on the morale. They've been in the news A LOT, but like ochave said:
            Originally posted by ochave000 View Post
            Illinois certification is Illinois certification

Comment

Just saw the mandatory orientation date is Wednesday April 25th. Can't really make the 5 hour drive home for that and then the written that following Saturday the 28th being a full time college student...a little ticked now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiguy27 View Post
                Thanks. I know they have their "share" (probably more than they need) of issues based on what I've read in the news the past few months. I was mainly interested in what the morale is (apparently low) regardless of what has been in the news. Pay doesn't look too bad though might as well give it a try, right now a job is a job.
                Depends what color you are.
                For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by Chiguy27 View Post
                  Seriously, "a job is a job".....thats the problem with you kids coming out of school! This isn't just a job, it's a career. You want a job, go work in an office somewhere. How do you think morale is when the Chief gets fired, his replacement quits after just one week. I'm really not trying to be a jag, but this is one of the problems with L.E today...GENERATION ME!

Comment

They had one at the CCSPD academy with me last year, but I don't know if that's where all their recruits go.

I'd also get the "a job is a job" mindset out of your head. I can tell you I'm a police officer, and so is someone working in a west side 'hood, and so is a Forest Preserve officer, and so is a Kenilworth officer. We're all police, but our jobs are way different. Apply places where you think you would be happy.

I border 4 departments that are all completely different and might as well be in different states even though we're all in the same 5 mile radius of the west suburbs.
                    Last edited by Item9; 03-16-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Rightfully said

Comment

Once you have the certification you are responsible to a department. It isn't as easy to move as you would think because the stakes get higher and the consequences more real. Apply to departments where think you will fit in. Chgometro and Item9 hit the nail on the head.

You will most likely be sent to Cook County's academy.
                        Last edited by ModerateLiberal; 03-16-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I know everyone wants to get on a PD, but as I said before, sometimes the only thing the same about the job between these Dept's is the word "Police." Think of the type of policing you want to do, and test for those type of Dept's. A Police Dept. is not going to change to be what you want to do.

A neighbor of mine, many years ago, was on CPD. Worked Tc in a south side Dist, worked Task Force on the south side, did the "running' and gunning'" out there. He ended up taking a "hiatus" from CPD, went to a small west burb PD. Gets a call from his Sgt. and is told to go to a house (large, nice house) where they Were having a party. Go there and pick up their food at the caterers and grab them ice while you're at it.

Point is each of these places are different, the towns are different, racial and economic make ups are different, political animal in these towns are different. You won't be doing the same thing in Orland Pk as you do in Cicero. Same for Wilmette and Maywood. Only thing the same is "Police" on the car.

Also, there are some places that you can work, that when you want to get out, some Dept's won't touch you because of it (Called having a "brick" on you). Don't sell your soul to the devil.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                            I know everyone wants to get on a PD, but as I said before, sometimes the only thing the same about the job between these Dept's is the word "Police." Think of the type of policing you want to do, and test for those type of Dept's. A Police Dept. is not going to change to be what you want to do.

A neighbor of mine, many years ago, was on CPD. Worked Tc in a south side Dist, worked Task Force on the south side, did the "running' and gunning'" out there. He ended up taking a "hiatus" from CPD, went to a small west burb PD. Gets a call from his Sgt. and is told to go to a house (large, nice house) where they Were having a party. Go there and pick up their food at the caterers and grab them ice while you're at it.

Point is each of these places are different, the towns are different, racial and economic make ups are different, political animal in these towns are different. You won't be doing the same thing in Orland Pk as you do in Cicero. Same for Wilmette and Maywood. Only thing the same is "Police" on the car.

Also, there are some places that you can work, that when you want to get out, some Dept's won't touch you because of it (Called having a "brick" on you). Don't sell your soul to the devil.
                            Great post sir.
                            "Believe half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear"

Comment

Anyone on here from North Chicago?
                              "Believe half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8358 users online. 215 members and 8143 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X