Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any swipa graduates?

Hey Folks,

I'm looking to self sponsor myself at SWIPA and get my foot in the door at someone's department. It seems like Illinois sucks when it comes to getting an
    entry-level p.o job. I went on a ride-along and the officer seriously recommended me to apply out of state. I even went to Dixmoor, knowing that I wouldn't get paid anything worth my life, and they wanted Certifieds only!!!!!
    "YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT ANYTHING YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU IN THE COURT OF LAW"

"NOW TELL ME WHATS GOING ON?!"

By SWIPA do you mean Southwestern Illinois Police Academy?

Comment

Problem with the self sponsor at this Academy is that I've heard that there may be only 1 or 2 per class and that they tend to favor people for those from that area (as there are many small PD's in those rural areas that don't have funds for paying academy recruits). Don't think they want to be a "back door" for Chicago area people looking to get certified. The Cert may get you a P/T gig in the Chicago area, but you still would lack any experience. Not saying it won't work out for you, though. Good Luck in the process.
      Last edited by ChiTownDet; 02-02-2012, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I agree with Chitown. I applied there and did the whole process only to be told I could not be accepted, I am from the Chicago area, there were only 10 of us who were testing. I was told by someone else, who also was from the Chicago area, that he did the same thing only to be told no. So if you wan't to try it then go for it, but you will loose some money especially if they don't accept you.

Comment

Like chitown said that program is to help rural departments get trained officers without paying for the academy my Buddy applied to , only to be turned down they probably don't like us chicagoans to back door you, it's obviously not about the money otherwise they would take everyone

Comment

I am from up by Chicago and self funded my way through the academy at SWIC. I got hired on as a full time officer 6 months after completing the academy. One of my friends also from up North went through the academy and he is working as a part time officer. Both of us got hired due to our Certifications in Illinois. As far as the testing process it is the same as it would be for getting hired on with a department. They use the POST exam as does many police departments. Then they have the psych test which again is done by an outside company that does testing for many other police departments. The drug test is common since and the interview is the same as it would be for any police department. They have the academy director, deputy director, and a local police chief usually interviewing the interns to determine if they would work out as a police officer or not.
            The testing process is just like getting hired on as a department. The academy exists to be profitable and turn out good police canidates. They are not going to turn down people that are qualified. If you guys have questions I strongly urge you to contact them and simply ask them questions. I tested for 2 years in Illinois and had no luck but after becoming certified I got hired in 6 months. It is a commitment but it all depends on how bad you want it.

Comment

Good to know...

Comment

I've wasted more money on useless things like a Motorola HT 1000 only to never use it.
                Didn't know it could be narrow-banded (Big Dummy). It's 2013 a year past the original post and I'm not a sworn officer yet. Mainly because I started nursing school a month after the original post. As soon as I graduate from RN school I will put my application in and hope it works. There are many things I can do like practice my RUN. I look physically in shape (muscle-bound) but I clunk out at a half-a-mile instead of a mile-in-a-half. So I'm working towards improving.

I'm also a newly hired ESDA guy, I know they are the laughing stock of many PDs. I know they get a bad rep for being a bunch of wanna-be's and has-beens. I hope my experience of blocking off intersections and attending church functions will at least help me during the interview process. LOL!!

I will also have my RN, so maybe they can see that it's truly a passion of mine and not something I want to do, because I'm out of work!
                "YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT ANYTHING YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU IN THE COURT OF LAW"

"NOW TELL ME WHATS GOING ON?!"

Comment

i was a ESDA volunteer member for about a year, went to the citizens police academy, was hired as a civilian part time CSO/Records Clerk and next thing you know i get a conditional offer for police officer, things can happen if you show interest, work hard and show you are willing to work for them, and they "prefer" to have you around just remember when working as a civilian and interacting with police officers, dont try to hard, dont kiss ***, just be natural they dont trust anyone new not even recruits you have to earn it for them to talk to you, i learned after 6 months if they joke with you and invite u into roll call and ask if u want any food they kinda like you

Comment

I know several guys who did the intern program at the academy and got part time gigs before they even graduated. My department just hired a guy who put himself through about the academy and is in the process of hiring another. As far as my department’s testing process they will hire you with or without the academy but the academy just gets you extra points on the final list and is a bonus to put down on the application.
                    The more you sweat in peace-time the less you bleed in war

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7235 users online. 417 members and 6818 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X